Is Diamond King this year's Deputed Testamony?

Post Reply
slewobarney
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:45 am

Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 am

Well, it looks like this Preakness will be a mudders day.

Wed Rain 90%
Thu Rain 70%
Fri Rain 100%
Sat Rain/Thunderstorms 80%

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eJxnTmpJ4lU


Deputed Testamony's 1983 Preakness. He beat a pretty good field.
Sunny's Halo (Derby winner and fav), Desert Wine, Bet Big, Play Fellow, Marfa
,DWL trainer)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mbKgzbt9T1c
Last edited by slewobarney on Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
stark
Posts: 4013
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Tue May 15, 2018 11:39 am

Great post, enjoyed both links, thanks for sharing.

$30 winner, the local horse who hadn't stepped foot on the track all week until Saturday morning broke a number of handicapping tenets that day!

I bet Marfa the hanger in that race at 9/2 for Lukas, oh well.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
MySaladDays
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Tue May 15, 2018 4:29 pm

can't wait to play my mud superfectas --- I had oxbox in 2013 in several contests out on the internet. I rememeber choosing him by watching every prep race replay over again and picking out certain qualities I thought would win it.
It was actually the last "big hit" I made during TC season. Haven't done so well since then, I was more dilligent that year. :)
MySaladDays
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm

what were some of the "muddy" Preakness's if they are fresh in anyone's mind? So I don't have to look it up. Last 12 years...
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Tue May 15, 2018 5:13 pm

The 2016 Preakness was a slopfest and it remains the most painful beat of my handicapping career. If only Nyquist had held on another jump for second... and of course 2015 was a driving rainstorm. Much like American Pharoah, I think mud only help's Justify here- but I hadn't seen that 1983 Preakness, thank you for sharing it!
middleground
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 pm

MySaladDays wrote:what were some of the "muddy" Preakness's if they are fresh in anyone's mind? So I don't have to look it up. Last 12 years...
I go back a tad further than 12 years, but Bee Bee Bee kicking Riva Ridge's hindquarters in the slop is the most significant memory I have of a muddy
Pimlico. RR would have been a TC winner with a more placid weather forecast.
User avatar
Charlie
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Maybe I am misremembering but I feel like we've had more muddy Preakness's than dry ones lately.
stark
Posts: 4013
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Tue May 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Charlie wrote:Maybe I am misremembering but I feel like we've had more muddy Preakness's than dry ones lately.
Seems like the memorable infield stories agree...

Image
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Apollo
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Tue May 15, 2018 11:48 pm

middleground wrote:
MySaladDays wrote:what were some of the "muddy" Preakness's if they are fresh in anyone's mind? So I don't have to look it up. Last 12 years...
I go back a tad further than 12 years, but Bee Bee Bee kicking Riva Ridge's hindquarters in the slop is the most significant memory I have of a muddy
Pimlico. RR would have been a TC winner with a more placid weather forecast.
I remember it well. I was in junior high and my friends and I were so confident in a Riva Ridge victory that we skipped the race and went to the local park to play basketball. Only one of our friends stayed home to watch the race. We delayed the game briefly until he showed up. He jumped the fence and came running with the news that Riva Ridge ran a dismal fourth, and the winner was something called Bee Bee Bee. We made him repeat it because none of us had ever heard of that horse, let alone know he was in the Preakness.

Only later that night did I see the replay, and listen to all the analysis regarding Riva Ridge's distaste for the slop.

I also remember the quest to find that video of the 1983 Preakness. At one point I had nearly 300 videos on a YouTube channel including maybe 40 horse races. My channel was eventually zapped due to copyright complaints from the IOC. Anyway, the uploader named cf1970 was doing a great job finding old classic racing videos but that 1983 Preakness was difficult to locate. Finally one of his sources had it. Now it's basically the same channel but labeled simply Horse Racing.

The other biggie that nobody had been able to find was Spectacular Bid's stopping and starting madhouse win in the 1979 Florida Derby, with multiple gaffes from Ronnie Franklin. The Gulfstream house videos were apparently lost in a fire. But the same uploader located an ABC full review of that race with McKay and Arcaro about 4 years ago.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4006
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 am

I feel more confident backing local Goodonehoney in the Black-Eyed Susans.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4267
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 am

American Pharoah's 2015 Preakness was still one of the most amazing races I've seen just... even after this year's Derby I think it was definitely the wettest race I've seen! The descriptions from the people there and in fact even watching the broadcast there were a few moments you couldn't see anything from the camera lenses being flooded. Victor pouring his boots out into a bucket at the press conference was quite something. I seem to recall they kept trying to delay post time hoping the rain would die down somewhat. I don't think it's hyperbolic to say they ran in a monsoon :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9711
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 am

That Preakness was pretty amazing; when AP came down the stretch, the stormy sky behind him looked like something out of a James Cameron movie. IIRC, they had to delay the post parade because lightning was too close.
The difference between AP's Preakness and this year's Derby is that the storms on that Preakness afternoon were heavy but fast-moving. The water didn't really have enough time to sink in and ruin the surface, so AP had pretty firm footing under the wetness. At last weeks' race, however, the rain had fallen for a long time, saturating the dirt and creating that sloppy mess.
User avatar
CoronadosQuest
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Wed May 16, 2018 8:22 am

AP's Preakness was definitely a slopfest. It looked like he was running on a lake.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4006
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 am

I think this angle really shows how sloppy the track was that day.

Image
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4267
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Wed May 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks for that photo Starine, yowza!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
MySaladDays
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Starine wrote:I think this angle really shows how sloppy the track was that day.

Image
That's a great photo, Starine! I had never seen it. Wow.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9711
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 pm

:o
Clearly I may have underestimated the "wetness." :oops:
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4006
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Thu May 17, 2018 11:13 pm

You're welcome. It's kind of staggering to even look at. Yet he just skipped over it.
User avatar
Dusty
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Contact:

Fri May 18, 2018 12:18 am

Apollo wrote:
middleground wrote:
MySaladDays wrote:what were some of the "muddy" Preakness's if they are fresh in anyone's mind? So I don't have to look it up. Last 12 years...
I go back a tad further than 12 years, but Bee Bee Bee kicking Riva Ridge's hindquarters in the slop is the most significant memory I have of a muddy
Pimlico. RR would have been a TC winner with a more placid weather forecast.
I remember it well. I was in junior high and my friends and I were so confident in a Riva Ridge victory that we skipped the race and went to the local park to play basketball. Only one of our friends stayed home to watch the race. We delayed the game briefly until he showed up. He jumped the fence and came running with the news that Riva Ridge ran a dismal fourth, and the winner was something called Bee Bee Bee. We made him repeat it because none of us had ever heard of that horse, let alone know he was in the Preakness.

Only later that night did I see the replay, and listen to all the analysis regarding Riva Ridge's distaste for the slop.

I also remember the quest to find that video of the 1983 Preakness. At one point I had nearly 300 videos on a YouTube channel including maybe 40 horse races. My channel was eventually zapped due to copyright complaints from the IOC. Anyway, the uploader named cf1970 was doing a great job finding old classic racing videos but that 1983 Preakness was difficult to locate. Finally one of his sources had it. Now it's basically the same channel but labeled simply Horse Racing.

The other biggie that nobody had been able to find was Spectacular Bid's stopping and starting madhouse win in the 1979 Florida Derby, with multiple gaffes from Ronnie Franklin. The Gulfstream house videos were apparently lost in a fire. But the same uploader located an ABC full review of that race with McKay and Arcaro about 4 years ago.
I LOVE the old videos - and MISS yours - I am still searching for Grey Memo Dubai win
May they run with the WIND
Post Reply