Mendelssohn

Re: Mendelssohn

Postby stark » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks, really hoping he gets a work in over the Churchill strip?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Treve » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 pm

I don't think he recorded any workouts at Del Mar last year, at least I can't find any on xbtv.
I can't remember if he recorded a workout in Dubai though I do remember seeing videos of him galloping.

Europeans in general but AOB specifically just have such different ways of training. Most Europeans work their horses out by running them in races. I don't think Ballydoyle even has official clockers at least not for the regular gallops. Maybe it's different for their all-weather training track? Sometimes AOB will use his stop watch to clock a horse or calculate how fast they're going but nothing official. I think the best way to know would be to look at whether he worked out his previous Derby entrants? I can't remember.

I'm not too worried about the surface itself though to be honest especially since Churchill is known to be kinder to horses that have turf form. Plus this is a horse that has now run on three different kinds of surfaces in different conditions and won on all three.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby carole » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:46 am

I remember reading somewhere that AOB ships his horses in very last minute when they go abroad so I would think Mendelssohn will ship 3-4 days ahead of the Derby and only gallop over the Churchill Downs track, I really doubt he'll get a timed workout.
carole

Postby Treve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:07 pm

He shipped about a week early for Dubai, can't remember when he shipped for DMR.
I think it was about 5 days for the BC.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby stark » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Maybe he'll change it up some this time based on this excerpt.....

Just five horses have made the trip from Ballydoyle to Louisville to date, including Johannesburg, who finished eighth in the Kentucky Derby after winning the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile the previous season. Master Of Horse’s run into fifth in 2011 is as close as O’Brien has been to the frame.
stark

Postby Treve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Mendelssohn ties for 8th on the Longines World's Best Racehorse Rankings with a rating of 122
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... qus_thread
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby stark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 am

Stolen posting from another forum....just curious if it's true?

Per the Churchill Downs Condition Book, a horse which has not started in the last 45 days (applies to Mendelssohn) will not be permitted to start unless it has at least one published workout within 20 days of entry at a distance acceptable to the stewards.

Therefore, he will have to have at least one published workout and I doubt that one at O'Brien's farm will be acceptable to the Stewards in Louisville.
stark

Postby Treve » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:04 pm

No idea if it is true (the rule) but this person sucks at math, Mendelssohn will have had 35 days (or 36 if you want to count from the 31st of March), not 45 between his starts.
Tried to dig on the internet to see if I could find a published workout for Thunder Snow last year and I couldn't.

a part of me is morbidly curious about what would happen of Churchill tried saying no to Coolmore though :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby stark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Treve wrote:No idea if it is true (the rule) but this person sucks at math, Mendelssohn will have had 35 days (or 36 if you want to count from the 31st of March), not 45 between his starts.
Tried to dig on the internet to see if I could find a published workout for Thunder Snow last year and I couldn't.

a part of me is morbidly curious about what would happen of Churchill tried saying no to Coolmore though :lol:

LOL, good catch Treve!

Will follow the original post to see if anybody catches it over there.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/show ... p?t=144316
stark

Postby ThreeMustangs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:05 pm

AOB ships his horses to the Curragh and other courses for workouts—he could do that with Mendelssohn if necessary.
ThreeMustangs

PreviousNext

Return to Racing