Across the pond

Mylute

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Let’s see bout the Cartier awards.
Last edited by Mylute on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Mylute

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Low key shocked.

Roaring Lion Named Cartier Horse of the Year

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -top-honor

~ He’s the first USA-bred horse to win Europe’s top honor since Fantastic Light in 2001.
Mylute

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:34 pm

2018 Cartier Award Winners and Nominees

Horse of the Year - Roaring Lion, Cracksman, Alpha Centauri, Enable, Stradivarius
Champion Older Horse - Enable, Cracksman, Poet’s Word, Lightning Spear
Cartier Sprinter - Mabs Cross, Merchant Navy, Sands Of Mali, Battaash
Champion Stayer - Stradivarius, Holdthasigreen, Kew Gardens, Vazirabad
Champion 3-Year-Old Colt - Roaring Lion, Sands of Mali, Masar, Saxon Warrior
Champion 3-year-Old Filly - Alpha Centauri, Laurens, Sea of Class, Wild Illusion
Champion 2-Year-Old Out - Too Darn Hot, Advertise, Quorto, Ten Sovereigns
Champion 2-Year-Old Filly - Skitter Skatter, Fairyland, Hermosa, Pretty Pollyanna
Northport

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:26 pm

I mean, who would beat Roaring Lion?

He won the Coral Eclipse, the Juddmonte International, the Irish Champion Stakes, and the QEII on the trot. He didn't race against Enable or Cracksman, but Cracksman won the not-as-prestigious Prix Niel, then had to grind out the win in the Coronation Cup, then was below par in the Prince of Wales's, then missed 3 months due to unsuitable ground, before an outstanding performance in the Champion Stakes. He won 1 less G1 than Roaring Lion, and he missed every big dance of the Summer.

As for Enable, she only raced three times, and while the Arc and Turf were amazing, only one was in Europe, and it's only two G1 wins.

Alpha Centauri was great but didn't finish the season and only had one win against open company. It will take a very quiet year for a stayer, even a star like Stradivarius, to win HOY.

I was/am a big fan of all the nominees, but Roaring Lion had the best season of 2018.
weeeeeeeee
Starine

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Great points, Northport, and I completely agree.

There were some very nice horses up for the honor -- Cracksman was sensational in a few out his outings (and not in the others), and Alpha Centauri was a model of consistency but largely in restricted company. Enable didn't put a hoof wrong but just had missed too much of the year. Roaring Lion absolutely had the best overall season and I'm tickled for him. I hope he has a successful career at stud.
Treve

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:55 am

Should be underlined that Roaring Lion has done something no colt in thlonger US has ever done that is to say win 4 G1s (or the equivalent thereof) against older males as a 3yo. Closest have been 3 G1s against olders (Arts and Letters, Secretariat, Easy Goer.
As for Europe, he is in select company. Sea the Stars and Giant’s Causeway have been the last two to accomplish such a feat, that not even the likes of heroes from the 70s or 80s did (came close with 3 a piece).
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
stark

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:51 am

https://twitter.com/JuddmonteFarms/stat ... 3798677504

We are pleased to announce that dual Arc winner and recent @BreedersCup heroine Enable will stay in training for 2019.

A third Arc will be her main target
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.