Happiness

stark

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:11 pm

"How many different animals did we have to jump on the backs of before we discovered horses were cool with it?"
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
luvsgeldings

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:57 pm

stark.... I do not know where that quote came from - but that was funny! - needed a laugh today - thanks!
stark

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:13 am

stark

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:35 am

Great dog Sully making his final trip with President GHW Bush.

He will go to work for another military vet next week, job well done.

WarBiscuit

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:35 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:35 am
Great dog Sully making his final trip with President GHW Bush.

He will go to work for another military vet next week, job well done.

Touching photograph. Reminds me very much of the picture of George Patton's bull terrier, Willie, guarding the generals personal effects following his death in 1945.

Semper Fidelis.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
stark

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Ahhh yes WB.....

WarBiscuit

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:31 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:05 pm
Ahhh yes WB.....

Yep, that's the one I was thinking about. What loyal souls...

There is a wonderful book entitled "General Patton's Best Friend" that is pure delight from start to finish, about the general and his beloved dog Willie.
Turns out that Willie was just as much of a character as his master - if you can believe that!

Thanks for the photo stark.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Tessablue

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Just finished/survived my first semester teaching (part-time) as a full professor. I can't believe I get to do this full-time starting in the spring. There's just nothing more joyful and rewarding than teaching.
Catalina

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Congrats, Tessablue, you're zipping up the academic ladder!
Tessablue

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 pm

Thank you! I should add it's not a tenured position, but I was lucky enough to skip adjuncting and go straight to full-time faculty. It still hasn't really sunk in yet.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:51 pm

That's fabulous, Tessablue! Teaching at any level is very much a calling,. and I love that you've found your calling there.
Tessablue

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 am

Thank you Sparrow Castle! It's funny, I only ever got the chance to teach because I joined a lab that was just starting out and had no money. Six years later, I finally get to do the fun part for a living. A few people have been a bit judgmental about my choice to leave research, but you're absolutely right, it's a calling.
stark

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:03 pm

ElPrado2

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:13 am

Hold onto your chairs, you'll enjoy this story.

I have been arguing with lazy kidney stones. They move a little bit, then park and contemplate their sins or something. Docs say I'm doing fine. Now they are wiggling. I dropped 2 last month and met a nurse that wants me in the family. Not for him! Oh no, lots more fun... for his daddy! I'm too old for the nurse, but the guy almost kidnaps me to his bunch every time I get stuck in that hospital. For a wonder, it wasn't busy one Sunday night, Tampa Bay was somewhere in Ohio. No drunks or celebrating too much, it was still sinking in.
Daddy has a 2 story house, all fixed up. Obviously just what I need. And a pool table! Very important part, that.
Last time I had a seizure, this guy was in neurology. Now the rotation has him in kidney. They go from specialty to specialty here, if they want to. He bounces around. I've seen him all over. He talks while he works, says it keeps people relaxed. He's a cutie.
He wants me to meet his father. Daddy is a widower, retired, and plays some pool. Very important part, that. I play extremely well. Kid came up with the idea of getting us together. Daddy gets lessons and GF too.
I know, kid is nuts.
Totally.
I had stones ready to leave me this weekend. There I was, innocent of all this, talking to dr , parked on the corridor. Busy everywhere. Kid goes rushing by, but spots me, skids to a stop and waves. Then runs on. Doc blinks, keeps telling me stuff to do at home. I've been scanned, dosed up, and I'm getting the dose of this and that when speech. Kid runs by again. Puzzled doc looks his way, keeps telling me everything. Doc stops. Looks at me, asks what's up. I tell him about the kid playing matchmaker. Doc cracks up. He's laughing so hard he's having to lean on the wall.. Nurses are watching, looking worried. What's with him. This guy is usually serious. He hasn't flipped out has he? Busy as this ER is there's no time for that. I'm not holding him up or something. Everybody is running tonight.
Doc calms down, gives me a shoulder hug, says "thanks, I needed that." Runs off down the hall to next kidney patient. My assigned comes over and asks me what's up. I tell her the nurse wants me and daddy together. And the doc wanted to know what she just found out. Now half the ER is cracking up. Even patients. Romeo for dad comes back, why did I tell? I told him the doc asked and had a giggling fit. Kid stares at me, and had one, too. The place went from the usual glum to a better mood in minutes. Nobody is mad at anybody. They are still running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but the patients ask what's funny, get told while doing the initial write up of vital and etc and smile if they remember the story. And it's even true.
Only problem now, he still wants me and dad to meet.
And I'm still laying small, very sharp eggs.
stark

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:56 pm

I don't see a downside.
Enjoy!
stark

Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Avoid March 9th for the big day, that is unless you want the wedding reception at the Tampa Bay Derby!
ElPrado2

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Giggles.
War Admiral

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Congrats Tessa on your new job. I agree 100% with Sparrow Castle the teaching is definitely a calling no matter what level. I teach pre-k and I can't imagine doing anything else. Whether it's preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school, college, or even grad school teaching is definitely a calling.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.