Fillies and Mares - 2018

Treve

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 pm

The Alabama would make sense from a commercial perspective in getting her an easy G1 on Dirt at a Classic distance. The Canadian Triple would offer a much rarer and more unique feat as well as the cemented proof she not only handles all Classic North American distances but handles all three surfaces. A G1 on Dirt is always available as an older female I just don't understand what the obsession was with getting 3yo honours here. I really have a hard time imagining a scenario where Monomoy Girl loses the title.

But anyway they seem to have changed their mind about the championship? They're going for the 'historical feat' aspect of it...
"The added distance ... that's one of the reason why (running in the Travers) was so intriguing," said Casse, who added they would likely have the jockey situation for Wonder Gadot shored up in the next week. "We know going 1 1/4 miles is something she loves. She gets five pounds. If she were to be able to win the Travers, that would be history. And that intrigues us as well.

"If we didn't think we had a legitimate shot, we wouldn't be in there. But we think we have as good a chance as anybody."

Given Monomoy Girl's stranglehold over her divisional mates, it would take a Travers triumph and then some for Wonder Gadot to have a chance at making a horse race out of the Eclipse Award balloting. If she has to settle for just racking up some big pieces of hardware while others take year-end honors, that's all well and fine where Casse is concerned.

"If she can win the Travers and the Breeders' Cup, I don't really care if she's champion or not," Casse said. "Or, if she wins either of those, I'll be very happy. That isn't what drives us. Monomoy Girl has done so much and I have the utmost respect for her. We're just trying to run our filly where we think she has the best chance."
Full article: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... or-travers
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Amapola just won the off-the-turf Incredible Revenge Stakes at Monmouth...and she's in foal. :o
Some people say playing classical music to an unborn baby is good for its brain; does winning a stakes race while you're still in-utero inspire a foal? 8-)
ThreeMustangs

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Ho hum. It's a Chad Brown trifecta in the Beverly D. (G1):

Sistercharlie
Fourstar Crook
Thais
Squeaky

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:18 pm

I always thought her name was pronounced Wonder Gad-oh but it seems it is actually Wonder Gad- ot. I like the way the former sounds better.
katmandu

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:32 pm

Squeaky wrote:
I always thought her name was pronounced Wonder Gad-oh but it seems it is actually Wonder Gad- ot. I like the way the former sounds better.
Isn't she named after the woman who played Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot? I think I heard that somewhere. . . Anyway, she is not French, so that may account for the difference (vs. "Waiting for Gadot", for instance). . .
Mylute

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 pm

katmandu wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:32 pm
Squeaky wrote:
Isn't she named after the woman who played Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot? I think I heard that somewhere. . . Anyway, she is not French, so that may account for the difference (vs. "Waiting for Gadot", for instance). . .
Since she's named after Gal Gadot and Wonder Woman, the latter pronunciation is correct, despite the former sounding better.

And I'm really happy Wonder Gadot is going to the Travers. It's about time some connections took a sporting chance. That being said I would still prefer a Canadian Triple Crown, although all of their options and potential wins would boost Gadot's resume since that's what they want. People who say that girls winning/hitting the board against males in graded races doesn't increase thier broodmare value have their head in the clouds.

A Canadian Triple Crown winning filly, who can win on all surfaces at all distances (plus her previous record and sire) is a filly that Coolmore and Godolphin would probably get in a war over at the sales.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Treve

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 am

Mylute wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 pm
A Canadian Triple Crown winning filly, who can win on all surfaces at all distances (plus her previous record and sire) is a filly that Coolmore and Godolphin would probably get in a war over at the sales.
I agree... plus as a 'fun fact of history' how neat would it have been to get a 13th Canadian Triple Crown the same year we got a 13th American Triple Crown?
I am also happy she's going to the Travers instead of the Alabama, but like you I'd much prefer she went to the Breeders' Stakes.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

BaroqueAgain1

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:23 pm

I think I read some remarks from Casse that he didn't want to run WG in the third leg because it is 12 furlongs on the turf, and that both the distance and surface wouldn't suit her.
Treve

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:10 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:23 pm
I think I read some remarks from Casse that he didn't want to run WG in the third leg because it is 12 furlongs on the turf, and that both the distance and surface wouldn't suit her.
The last interview I read said the distance was in her wheelhouse but per Casse his concern is that the turf is supposedly her least preferred surface even though she's won on it. But it's not like the Breeders is an international G1. Against the Canadian bred colts she's been running I think she'd handle them and even toy with them. Mostly when I read that interview it came across as more an excuse to appease Canadian fans ;) Since the Alabama was originally their target and their goal even before she won the Queen's Plate and before she won the PoW. But they had no issue switching course from the Alabama to the Travers...
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Mylute

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Dusty

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Mylute wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:31 pm
Enola Gray Retired

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... d-in-2019/
That is too bad - I had heard it but no confirm til now
May they run with the WIND
Mylute

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Eskimo Kisses (To Honor and Serve x Silver Colors) upset the Gr.I Alabama Stakes at 9-1 odds in her first graded score!

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ama-stakes
Mylute

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:53 pm

La Sardane Takes On Boys in Play the King
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... y-the-king
Mylute

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Abel Tasman Holds Off Elate in Personal Ensign

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... nal-ensign

~ Deja Vu
ThreeMustangs

Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:26 pm
Dream Tree off Kentucky Oaks trail; needs 60 days off for minor setback, per Baffert
The top 3-year-old filly Dream Tree "came out of her last work with a little issue," trainer Bob Baffert said Friday, and will need 45-to-60 days off. As a result, she is out of consideration for the Kentucky Oaks, Baffert said.

"It's just a little thing, not a big deal," said Baffert, who declined to be specific about the setback. "She'll stay here at Santa Anita. I don't want to press on her. She'll be back this summer and I'll point for something like the Test."
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/41100-dream ... er-baffert
Dream Tree returned off the layoff to easily win the Prioress (G2) today at Saratoga.
Treve

Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Wonder Gadot is back on the worktab... Fired a bullet at Saratoga Thursday

Wonder Gadot (3-Year-Old Filly)
Date: September 6, 2018
Track: SARATOGA
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 47:44 Breezing
Track Condition: Wet Fast
Surface: Dirt
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Sparrow Castle

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Her first entry since the fire...I'll be rooting for this one. (I know my notes are inelegant...such a cool story.)

Lovely Finish is entered to run on September 20, 2018, at LOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE.
Your comments for this horse were: 2015 F Marino Marini - Corazon de Leo, by Flame Thrower; Joe Herrick; suffered burns at SLR; brought to DelMar by an old guy

Full Entries for Race Overnight
Race: 7 - 4:58 PM $1 Exacta / $1 Trifecta / $1 Superfecta (.10 Min.) / $2 Double

MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT
Purse: $ 40,000. For California Bred Or California Sired Maidens, Fillies And Mares Three Years Old And Upward. Three Year Olds, 120 Lbs.; Older, 124 Lbs. Five And One Half Furlongs.
PP Horse A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer
2 Lovely Finish 3/F L Stewart Elliott 120 Joe Herrick
Horsebagger

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/45221-elate ... n-question

Some disappointing news. At least for some.
Curtis

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/45221-elate ... n-question

Some disappointing news. At least for some.
That should be disappointing for anyone except, I guess, for those that would be in against her. I wonder if that will change Mott’s mind as to whether to put her in the Classic, as opposed to the Distaff, given he’d have to train her up to it?