Mendelssohn

Treve

Tue May 15, 2018 12:26 pm

stark wrote:
Treve wrote: He mentioned two, sooner after the Derby, initially, unless they plan to run him on grass a bit in Europe to keep him in racing shape? But I'm not sure how beneficial that would be to him.

Coolmore hasn't announced anything for him, but since they own him entirely it doesn't seem to be rare for them to run their future studs as older males for at least one season. I guess that will largely depend on his performances this year and what he does or doesn't win.

Wouldn't a return trip to Dubai be a more logical goal than the BreedersCupChurchillClassic?
The long term goal for this horse has always been the Classic, I suspect. I mean they wanted him to be a Derby horse of course and have stated as much but the Classic...
It's the one Dirt race Coolmore hasn't won (whether as individual owners or as a partnership) that they want badly. It's the Dirt race they seem to respect the most in terms of prestige, stud value etc. etc. More than the Dubai World Cup (though that could also have something to do with the DWC's timing). I don't think they've even bothered to send their c-string horses to it in a while (at least not in recent renewals).
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Flanders

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Mendelssohn to target Dwyer (July 7th), PA Derby(Sept. 22) and BC Classic(Nov. 3rd).

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... ndelssohn/
luvsgeldings

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:18 pm

so excited that Mendy is coming back - love this colt - that Derby was just a bad experience for him - looking forward to seeing him run well - AOB sure has the confidence in him - that's a wonderful thing.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:23 pm

The original RacingPost article:
https://www.racingpost.com/news/o-brien ... ash/334916

I find it interesting that both Mendelssohn and Gronkowski showed a boost in performance when they finally got to run on dirt.
stark

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:37 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: I find it interesting that both Mendelssohn and Gronkowski showed a boost in performance when they finally got to run on dirt.
On lasix?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BigDonOKC

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 pm

stark wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: I find it interesting that both Mendelssohn and Gronkowski showed a boost in performance when they finally got to run on dirt.
On lasix?
Come on Stark with the ability to see that in two horses you should be on the the committee :roll:
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Lasix was no factor in Mendelssohn's extraordinary UAE Derby blowout, since race-day meds are not allowed in Dubai. :roll:
stark

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Lasix was no factor in Mendelssohn's extraordinary UAE Derby blowout, since race-day meds are not allowed in Dubai. :roll:
right , thanks! (confused with his DelMar race, forgot it was on turf lol!

But Gronk was, no?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Treve

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Yes Gronk got lasix.

The Dwyer is an interesting return for Mendelssohn, not what I would have expected or imagined, but I like it. I would have thought perhaps the Jim Dandy. But this should be a good easy spot for him to stretch his legs and regain his confidence/give him another positive association to the dirt. I also like that progressive build up - 8f, 9f to 10f
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Mendelssohn is back on American soil. He arrived today, along with several other Coolmore horses targeting this weekend's Belmont Stars & Stripes card.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... -saturday/
It's interesting that the filly Athena is running in the G1 Belmont Oaks; she just ran 3rd in the Pretty Polly stakes on Sunday. So, she's coming back in six days, with a cross-The-Pond ship in the middle of those six days. :shock:
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private Thoughts

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:36 pm

:D Glad to hear he is back, looking forward to him running in the Dwyer.
Flanders

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:57 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:It's interesting that the filly Athena is running in the G1 Belmont oaks; she just ran 3rd in the Pretty Polly stakes on Sunday. So, she's coming back in six days, with a cross-The-Pond ship in the middle of those six days. :shock:
She doesn't seem to mind close races. It will be her 8th start since April 16th. She raced 4 times in May alone.

I mean it always surprises me to look at some of the European horses and see how often they do run because I'm just not used to it. For example G1SW U S Navy Flag ran 11 times as a 2yo.
Northport

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Aidan O'Brien isn't afraid to run his 2nd stringers often, especially if it looks like the horse is on the improve and on its way to becoming a 1st stringer. US Navy Flag and Homecoming Queen come to mind.
weeeeeeeee
Treve

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:42 pm

I was kind of wondering if Mendelssohn would target the Travers with Justify out of the way even though they initially had decided on the PA Derby... could be interesting if he did both.
But now I'm hugely torn between rooting for Wonder Gadot and Mendelssohn
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:01 am

I like them both as well, although I think Wonder Gadot may have a slight size advantage on Mendelssohn. ;)
I was kind of surprised to read that Mendy was targeting the Travers. That's not going to be an easy race for the Scat Daddy colt.
And we have no idea how well he's coming into the race (unless one of you happens to know a Coolmore clocker? :P ). We do know he's going to need to be better than he was in the Dwyer.
Not sure why Aiden is bringing Seahenge, unless he's Mendy's stable/travelling buddy and a calming presence for the high-energy colt.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThreeMustangs

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:32 am

AOB has gone a little cold lately—says there’s a virus making its way through his stable.
Treve

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:29 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:01 am
I like them both as well, although I think Wonder Gadot may have a slight size advantage on Mendelssohn. ;)
I was kind of surprised to read that Mendy was targeting the Travers. That's not going to be an easy race for the Scat Daddy colt.
And we have no idea how well he's coming into the race (unless one of you happens to know a Coolmore clocker? :P ). We do know he's going to need to be better than he was in the Dwyer.
Not sure why Aiden is bringing Seahenge, unless he's Mendy's stable/travelling buddy and a calming presence for the high-energy colt.
I think Mendy's Dwyer was okay as a first off the bench race after a layoff in what was the second fastest edition of the Dwyer ever. Seahenge also ran in the Dwyer, not sure why they keep trying him on the dirt/synth.

And yeah even in the big Irish classics he's been startlingly shut out. Hope the virus ends post-haste!
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:30 am

Got a couple of pictures of Mendy yesterday... he of course very loudly and eagerly said 'hello' (or more like proclaimed a hello) as he trotted in on his toes to the Paddock. He was focused during the post parade though!
Can't tell you how pleased I am he's redeemed himself. Yes it was a little slower than his average but considering the bug that tore its way through Ballydoyle we know both from O'Brien and his Assistant that the horse was not 100% coming into this and this was meant as another tightener/stepping stone. And those weren't soft opening fractions for a 10f at Saratoga especially when you consider the speed/rail wasn't holding anymore at the end of the day so he did well... Also with the 100 BSF he earned yesterday, he might be the only 3yo still currently in training to have earned 3 digit BSFs in all three of his dirt starts this year. Will be curious to see if they decide on another prep before the Classic.

A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Mylute

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:21 am

IIRC they were originally pointing him towards the Pennsylvania Derby. They could go there.

I would suggest maybe trying the Awesome Again as a prep because even though it's older males, our division for that isn't the strongest (not complete trash as some like to think but not as good as last year). He's a Euro so he's used to shipping everywhere so I don't think staying at Santa Anita for a week before going to Churchill would be a tall task. Then again if Arrogate shows up it'll probably be another 2nd or 3rd on his resume, or do they even mind that? Lol.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
carole

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:30 am

Mylute wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:21 am
IIRC they were originally pointing him towards the Pennsylvania Derby. They could go there.

I would suggest maybe trying the Awesome Again as a prep because even though it's older males, our division for that isn't the strongest (not complete trash as some like to think but not as good as last year). He's a Euro so he's used to shipping everywhere so I don't think staying at Santa Anita for a week before going to Churchill would be a tall task. Then again if Arrogate shows up it'll probably be another 2nd or 3rd on his resume, or do they even mind that? Lol.
Uh you mean Accelerate?