The VENT Thread

starrydreamer

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Don't look at me, a bona fide baby boomer. I worked for nearly four decades, paying my taxes, voting and generally trying to be a decent citizen. Now I watch my Social Security grow smaller, relative to cost of living, while sh!tholes in the government threaten to reduce my "entitlement."
Yeah, you know why I'm "entitled" to that money? Because I paid and paid and paid into SS. I'd have to live past 100 before I start getting money that isn't actually, you know, MINE. :evil:
Ugh, what went wrong with social security? I'm paying into it - have been for about 15 years, and I'm not expecting to receive much, if anything, from it. How's that fair? Boomers now are getting screwed, sure, but the younger generation is inheriting an even bigger mess and getting screwed for longer. I shudder to think how it's going to be for my son.
Tessablue

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Aren't baby boomers the reason everything is awful right now?

Or your entitled parents were the reason everything is awful.. it's hard to remember..
Sometimes I cheer myself up by looking at polls and breaking them down by age...

Anyways, I'm enjoying this idea that there's only one correct road through life. If I still have this job three years from now, let alone thirty, something has gone quite terribly wrong.
stark

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 pm

starrydreamer wrote:Frankly, I could simply leave and go into practice (I'm a licensed attorney).
I think that's the best idea yet, congrats in advance.
That is, providing you hire a couple of general office assistants and then share with us how many sick days and vacation days you provide them out of your pocket.

Any idea what kind of benefits you'd provide?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
starrydreamer

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:28 pm

stark wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:Frankly, I could simply leave and go into practice (I'm a licensed attorney).
I think that's the best idea yet, congrats in advance.
That is, providing you hire a couple of general office assistants and then share with us how many sick days and vacation days you provide them out of your pocket.

Any idea what kind of benefits you'd provide?
Uh, as a solo attorney in practice, there's no way I could afford an office assistant, much less two. My job used to be talking to solo practitioners (& helping them research), and I can count on one hand how many of them had any office help at all.

In addition, I work for a large corporation that is publicly traded. There is a big difference between a company of 15,000 and a company of 3. So the point you're trying to make here falls very flat.
stark

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:50 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Aren't baby boomers the reason everything is awful right now?
Wah Wah Wah, life sucks, maybe if I blame somebody else I'll feel better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP8sofAN4xc
Somnambulist wrote: Or your entitled parents were the reason everything is awful...
My Dad left my Mom when she was pregnant with me and I never met him so I don't think that's it.
Somnambulist

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Don't justify yourself to this guy..

Speaking of oversharing personal info?
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 am

starrydreamer wrote: Uh, as a solo attorney in practice, there's no way I could afford an office assistant, much less two. My job used to be talking to solo practitioners (& helping them research), and I can count on one hand how many of them had any office help at all.

In addition, I work for a large corporation that is publicly traded. There is a big difference between a company of 15,000 and a company of 3. So the point you're trying to make here falls very flat.
Okay so humor me, let's pretend for just a moment that you're a really successful attorney and have a firm of 50 employees, just a few other attorneys and a bunch of support staff. What kind of benefits would you provide them?

Would the single guy get as many sick days as the mother of three?
Can they carry over their unused sick days?
Can they just take the cash equivalent of vacation days?

Oh, and if you really want to go to Japan for two weeks, is personal time off without pay an option available to you?
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 am

Tessablue wrote:If I still have this job three years from now, let alone thirty, something has gone quite terribly wrong.
Why is that?

If you're comparing it to my 30+ year career please note.....I changed careers several times yet managed to stay with the same employer throughout.

Didn't want you to think I stayed at one position on the assembly line for my entire life, I know people have done that, but I would agree it's terribly wrong if your education exceeds the job requirements.
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:11 am

Maybe we'll all get lucky and stark will go on other forums to complain about us all.
starrydreamer

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 am

No, I don't think I'll humor you. I'm not starting my own business and never plan to. My mother in law owns her own business and has a few part time employees, and I know that it's simply not for me. Plus, I love my current job. It's the one I wanted when I graduated from law school, and I had to jump through some hoops to get here.

My manager would probably let me work from Japan if I really wanted, but as you were so squeamish to hear about previously, I have a young child who is often sick, so it's not happening any time soon.

What are we supposed to do with that information that your dad left your mom when she was pregnant for you? Feel bad for you?
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am

Somnambulist wrote:Maybe we'll all get lucky and stark will go on other forums to complain about us all.
Ohh now don't be silly, another forum talking about you, surely you jest.

Besides, it's incredibly entertaining every once in a while to just a waste a day and watch y'all get your panties bunched up, except maybe for that one who needs to lose 30 pounds or so. ;)
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 am

Retirement isn't for everyone I guess.

Regardless, I could out troll anyone I'm sure.
Tessablue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 am

Somnambulist wrote:Maybe we'll all get lucky and stark will go on other forums to complain about us all.
But whatever will we do without all this life advice? Make decisions based on what is best for us personally within the contours of our chosen careers, instead of the outdated musings of some internet guy who has decided to spend his hard-earned retirement time provoking and patronizing strangers on the internet? Absurd.
starrydreamer

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 am

Somnambulist wrote:Retirement isn't for everyone I guess.

Regardless, I could out troll anyone I'm sure.
Pretty sure we young'uns could out troll anyone.

And why is Stark thinking of us in our panties? :shock:
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 am

Idk, us new age folk probably can't afford a pair anyway.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 am

Pretty sure we young'uns could out troll anyone.

Oh please. I was raised by a Quaker-schooled language lover who whipped off the NY Times crossword in pen as a way to relax.
I can verbally eviscerate someone and never run afoul of any forum profanity rules, without even hauling out my thesaurus. :P :lol:
But that's not going to happen. Because digital insult duels or trophy troll hunting just isn't my sort of fun. ;) 8-)
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 am

Tessablue wrote: But whatever will we do without all this life advice?
My guess is that a few of you will just keep going on being miserable, unable to set and achieve life goals, and then die before you even know what happened.

If I could see just one person move out of expensive locales into a more reasonable cost of living,
or just one person to go back to school for the degree they really want,
or just one person to better understand business from the employer's point of view,

then I think I'd know of somebody who will be happier than they are today.

Anything would be an improvement over the never ending complaining, life's short!
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:51 am

Somnambulist wrote:Idk, us new age folk probably can't afford a pair anyway.
Looks like the silly saying started way back in the 60's, wouldn't expect you to know about it.
but just fyi.... http://www.theblog.ca/panties-knot
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:52 am

Humor is dead.
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 am

Somnambulist wrote:Humor is dead.
Kathy Griffin?