Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Postby Catalina » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Do you remember Big Brown who was on stanozolol so he would eat up, and when there was a fuzz about that, Dutrow took him off the monthly steroid. In the Belmont then, BB was like a totally different horse.

That's the appeal for using steroids, and for using steroids repeatedly. The incidence of steroid application ahead of the BC wasn't Masochistic's first go round for between race steroids. Nor was Masochistic the only Ellis horse that received steroids. You may not remember it, but there was extended discussion of this in this folder (Jockey/Trainer News) when the BC first disqualified Masochistic.

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:32 pm

In the Belmont then, BB was like a totally different horse.

BB was like a totally different horse in the Belmont because 1) he got stepped on right out of the gate, bending a rear shoe down to an angle that would have made it damn near impossible to run his best, and 2) he and his rider were NOT on the same page for most of the race. He was fighting Kent (and probably just plain mad 'cause his foot hurt), as KD tried to get him through traffic to the outside without running into anyone.
IMHO, that all left the horse angry, distracted and with quite a bit of his energy drained. Kent pulled him up at the top of the stretch because he thought the colt felt "off" and, of course, BB fought him because that's pretty much all they were doing for that race...arguing. :P

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:21 pm

GrahamMotion @GrahamMotion
6h6 hours ago
This is why I joined, there is no one in the business I respect more than Bill Mott.

Steve Haskin @SteveHaskin
5h5 hours ago
Although I have nothing but gut instinct to back me up and knowing Bill Mott for almost 40 years, there is no way I believe he is in the wrong regarding this medication overage, especially how hard he is willing to fight what he feels is a lab error and a "travesty."

Mott Vows to Fight New York Suspension, Fine
he attorney for Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott said that he is prepared to press on with Mott’s lawsuit against the New York State Gaming Commission and the New York State Drug Testing Research Program following a Jan. 22 ruling by the NYSGC to uphold penalties of a 15-day suspension and $1,000 fine against Mott stemming from an alleged medication overage from 2014.

Attorney Drew Mollica said a conference is scheduled for Jan. 25 with a state supreme court judge that will include Mott; a representative of the state attorney general’s office representing the gaming commission; and a lawyer for Dr. George Maylin, director of the state’s drug testing and research program.

“We are fully prepared to take this as far as it has to go,” Mollica said. “Their lab screwed up and charged (Mott) with something he didn’t do. Bill is disheartened because this is a travesty. We know the road to justice is a long and hard one, and we’re prepared for it.”

The case against Mott stems from a Sept. 20, 2014, race at Belmont Park wherein the Mott-trained Saratoga Snacks ran sixth and last. New York’s contract lab at Morrisville State College found alleged overages of flunixin (Banamine) and furosemide (Salix) in Saratoga Snacks’ post-race blood sample. However, the lab failed to provide Mott with a sample of the horse’s blood with which to have a split, or referee, sample tested at an independent laboratory.

Moreover, New York labs have had a long history of not providing adequate blood with which independent labs could perform confirmational testing of questionable samples. In what many believe to be a direct result of Mott’s fight against New York regulators, the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association reached an agreement with the gaming commission in November that for the first time guaranteed horsemen would have adequate blood samples to send to an independent lab.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Paseana » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:13 am

Looks like Alex Solis is really thinking about what he wants to do going forward after his retirement from the saddle.

He and Richard Mandella had a lot of success over the years as a trainer/jockey combination, but he's got a lot to learn about the "other side of the equation".

He sure picked a good one to learn from, that's for sure! ... ellas-wing

Postby stark » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:08 am

Jockey Chantal Sutherland will miss eight to twelve weeks after suffering a broken left clavicle and a fractured right knee as result of a spill that took place in Thursday's sixth race at the Fair Grounds.

“She's doing well and in good spirits,” Sutherland's agent Rick Mocklin said. “It looks like she may have surgery (Friday) and then spend a day here and then come home and rest. That will put us right at the end of the meet.”

Sutherland was enjoying a successful Winter Meet with a 165-15-21-18 record as well as $437,944 in earnings. ... r-grounds/
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.

Postby Diver52 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Move over Chad Brown? After winning a turf stakes at 1 1/2 miles a couple of weeks ago with Plein Air, Bob Baffert took down the Cal Cup Turf Sprint Stakes down the hill at SA with the Acclamation 3yo Heck Yeah, who won very comfortably from mid-pack. The colt broke his maiden by 5 lengths on dirt so has lots of options, at least in the Cal-bred division.

I was sorry to hear that about Chantal Sutherland, who obviously has a passion for the sport, but glad she was having some success at FG.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Jamie Theriot has accepted an offer to ride in the Southern Hemisphere at a racetrack on the island of Mauritius. ... mauritius/

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Castellano to Replace Nakatani Aboard Bolt d'Oro
Javier Castellano will replace jockey Corey Nakatani aboard Triple Crown hopeful Bolt d'Oro in his 3-year-old debut in the March 10 San Felipe Stakes (G2), owner and trainer Mick Ruis said Jan. 28.

Nakatani worked the two-time grade 1 winner in his first timed breeze of the year Jan. 27 at Santa Anita Park, and while Ruis expressed frustration with the rider after the drill—mostly because Nakatani wanted to bring Bolt d'Oro through the paddock after the drill instead of straight back to the barn—he said the change did not come because of that.

"That was just Corey being Corey," Ruis said of the Saturday workout. "We just wanted to ride Javier instead. It's nothing against Corey. It's what we feel is best for Bolt. Corey is still riding for us—he's still riding Union Strike and One Fast Broad—and he's going to keep working (Bolt d'Oro)."

Nakatani's agent and son, Matt Nakatani, said it is unlikely his father will work Bolt d'Oro without the mount in the colt's next race. Matt Nakatani also indicated there have been disagreements between the Ruis family and his father, but that he felt, after the work, things had cooled off.

"I'm going to talk to my dad about it, but he's had a Hall of Fame career. And the last thing I'm going to do is ask him to be an exercise rider," Matt Nakatani said.

Sparrow Castle

Return to Racing