The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Postby Miss Woodford » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:32 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I just can't believe that this Sunday Silence horse (who I believe is still intact) is still racing instead of standing at stud. :shock:
Does Japan have any rules mandating retirement at a certain age? IIRC, even Standardbreds can't race past 15 in this country.

I know there have been efforts to reverse the STB retirement rule with many STBs continuing to race well through their teenage years (mandatory retirement is after 14). 14yo Grecale AS has the most wins of any trotter in the country this year with 16. The richest Standardbred in history Foiled Again (earnings of over $7.5 million! Hard to do in a sport without sheikh and Stronach money) recorded his 97th career victory at age 13 a couple weeks ago. If a horse is still racing well and is sound and enjoys their job then their age shouldn't matter.

It is a shock that an intact son of Sunday Silence is still racing at this age though. Was he found to be infertile?
Miss Woodford

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:03 pm

I agree that SBs can be raced into their teens, but their situation is a bit different than TBs. They're not carrying a rider at a 40 mph full gallop. Their gaits spread the stresses out more evenly than running, where all the weight lands hard on one slender, fragile ankle. The nature of harness racing also tends to protect the horses from clipping heels or being body-slammed off balance by another half-ton horse during a race.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:27 pm

After surviving two hurricanes, serious colic, horrible conditions in Puerto Rico, and a long ride across the country, he's finally back home in Washington State to the gal who foaled and helped raise him, and to his original owner who was there to greet him. Welcome home, Catty, and much thanks to all who made this happen!

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
UGOTTABCATTY (11y WA-bred gelding) is safely home after a journey of 4,500 miles. He arrived stateside Oct 19, and spent a little time in Ocala and a month in Lexington. His adopter Alaina, who foaled him, and his former owner Jim are tickled to have him home. @CaribbeanOTTB
Sparrow Castle

Previous

Return to Racing