2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:34 am

For the price to keep going up like that, it probably was one of the heavy hitters; Coolmore, Godolphin or Mr. Yoshida. Or maybe all of them?
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8093
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:04 am

Very few people have insanely deep pockets. I wonder when Pope stops shelling out like this. It's not like she's returned much profit yet.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby Izvestia » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:40 am

I wonder the same thing Som. The math doesn't add up. She has 2 mares she's bought for $19.5 million... has she sold any yearlings close to recouping that? That doesn't include all of the other mares she's bought. The chances of breeding to race and making it back are virtually impossible. What's the plan here?
Izvestia
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby Northport » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 am

She could have started recouping some of the $10m spent on Havre De Grace. Havre De Grace's 2015 colt by War Front was a $1.9m RNA at KEESEPT16 after "A mix up regarding the reserve"

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... illion-rna

The whole thing was a bit of a cluster, and it sounded like Pope was still open to selling the foal for a "reasonable price" aka not the 1.9m it had attracted during the sale?
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Northport
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby Life At Zen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Summer Bird wrote:No the previous owner has to pay the stud fee before selling the mare.


How does that work then if the foal doesn't survive?
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
User avatar
Life At Zen
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby Macaroni » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:59 pm

American Pharoah's foal o/o Untouched Talent went to Narvick International - does this mean she'll only ever be used as a broodmare and will never race? That would be a HUGE shame.
Macaroni
 
Posts: 1172
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:52 am

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby Summer Bird » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Life At Zen wrote:
Summer Bird wrote:No the previous owner has to pay the stud fee before selling the mare.


How does that work then if the foal doesn't survive?


Only thing I can think of is the previous owner is out of luck or they give him/her a refund. I worked in a Thoroughbred Farm office and we had to make sure the stud fee was paid before the mare went to the sale.
User avatar
Summer Bird
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:35 pm
Location: NY

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Northport wrote:She could have started recouping some of the $10m spent on Havre De Grace. Havre De Grace's 2015 colt by War Front was a $1.9m RNA at KEESEPT16 after "A mix up regarding the reserve"

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... illion-rna

The whole thing was a bit of a cluster, and it sounded like Pope was still open to selling the foal for a "reasonable price" aka not the 1.9m it had attracted during the sale?


I forgot about this mishap.

This is soooo much money. Obviously she knows her finances better than I do but this is some pretty crazy money to toss around on unproven prospects. Especially when people just lose money hand over fist in racing.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby Horsebagger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Summer Bird wrote:
Life At Zen wrote:
Summer Bird wrote:No the previous owner has to pay the stud fee before selling the mare.


How does that work then if the foal doesn't survive?


Only thing I can think of is the previous owner is out of luck or they give him/her a refund. I worked in a Thoroughbred Farm office and we had to make sure the stud fee was paid before the mare went to the sale.


If you don't pay the stud fee in advance of the sale, the horse is going to get liened by the stallion farm, and they'll get their fee paid out of proceeds anyway.
Horsebagger
 
Posts: 1839
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: 2017 Fasig-Tipton November Sale

Postby Treve » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Isn't Pope mostly an heiress? I remember reading somewhere she was more like a collector with goals of improving the breed, rather than making money. Like the rich owners of old who approaching racing as a hobby and a prestige thing more than a business.
Dunno how that'll work out for her if that's the case but I suppose if she has a solid long term plan then maybe she'll start to see the fruits of her labour in a decade or so?
I mean I can't even wrap my head around having that much disposable income to begin with so I don't hurt myself trying to understand the motive. Maybe she has an addiction to collector's mares :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding & Sales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests