The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby sweettalk » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:42 pm

starrydreamer wrote:CT scan showed that my sinuses are worse than when I had the MRI. So I'm scheduling that surgery.

:( i hope it goes well and your recovery is easy
Follow your heart. You need it. And where did it learn to scurry like that?
User avatar
sweettalk
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby BlindLucky » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:35 am

starrydreamer wrote:CT scan showed that my sinuses are worse than when I had the MRI. So I'm scheduling that surgery.

I had chronic sinus infections and nosebleeds for most of my life, but in my early 30s I had a bunch of surgical procedures done (all at one time, no way I was going in more than once) that I would go back and do over again 100 out of 100 times. I had a septoplasty (stupid deviated septum from where I broke my nose as a kid) and rhinoplasty to fix the more cosmetic aspects, but the most time-consuming part of the whole surgery was working on my sinuses and reconstructing one side that had actually made a new hole in itself since it had no other way to drain. My whole head was a mess and my surgery ran over 4 hours.

Since I had that done almost 15 years ago, I haven't had any nosebleeds and I've only had one sinus infection. My sense of smell and taste is exponentially better--something I didn't even realize was an issue before.

I know that you're not looking at surgery that severe, but I hope you have success with what you're scheduling--I sure don't regret having any of it done. I can actually breathe now and antibiotics/steroids are a thing of the past for my stupid sinuses :)
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby starrydreamer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks, everyone!

They can't get me in until mid-July, so I'm getting by until then. The worst is the occasional nasty smell in my nostril that I can detect when I either blow my nose or sniffle. At this point, it's almost entertaining how green my snot is sometimes. :?
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby stark » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Please raise your right hand.

Do you solemnly swear that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?

I do.


Does that procedure really serve any purpose, from our local criminal courts building to the Senate floor?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Unless the person taking that oath actually believes that Hellfire awaits him if he lies, I'd say NO.
If the person giving testimony wants to lie, and is pretty confident that he won't be proved a liar any time soon, than why wouldn't he lie taking the oath?
Really....that whole taking an oath to tell the truth with a hand on a bible is both useless and prejudiced.
What if your own particular holy writ doesn't happen to be the Christian bible? Or what about a non-religious person? Why should that person suddenly be made to swear allegiance to that book just so a court considers his/her testimony truthful?
:roll:
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 7795
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Catalina » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:58 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Unless the person taking that oath actually believes that Hellfire awaits him if he lies, I'd say NO.
If the person giving testimony wants to lie, and is pretty confident that he won't be proved a liar any time soon, than why wouldn't he lie taking the oath?
Really....that whole taking an oath to tell the truth with a hand on a bible is both useless and prejudiced.
What if your own particular holy writ doesn't happen to be the Christian bible? Or what about a non-religious person? Why should that person suddenly be made to swear allegiance to that book just so a court considers his/her testimony truthful?
:roll:


Moreover, why even bother if that person has previously been shown to have lied under oath.
Catalina
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby RuffiantoRags » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:47 am

Haven't posting in a long time but maybe you'll remember my saga last Oct being ambulanced to Westchester Medical and 2 days later having a tumor removed from my neck and having my neck fused with 2 rods. The tumor gave me multiple myeloma. So then I got a blood clot 2 days after leaving, so I had to go back in for 3 days. Recovered, went back to work, even though I did 4 months of weekly chemo. Worked 6 days a week,50 hrs during breeding season. So now my nightmare continues with the last chapter, back in Westchester Medical. Received heavy duty chemo yesterday, and on Monday I receive back my own stem cells to go to the bone marrow. I will have an easy 1st week, then the 2nd week the sickness and weekness kicks in. Wipes out my blood counts, and will lose lots of weight. 3rd week is a recovery week, after a blood transfusion I will get stronger and appetite will come back so I can go home. My daughter in Boston will come visit every other weekend, and my son in Tenn. gave his notice and will be moving back home in July to help take care of me. Then it's 2 months recovery at home. My last day working at the farm was Thurs, bitterweet walk around the farm in the beautiful warm sun and took pics of my favorite (there all my fav!) mares $ foals. Some will be gone when I get back in Sept. and the some babies will be weaned. My boss is the best ever and he is welcoming me back as soon as I can. I have that to look forward to. I am blessed with friends and family that send me positive thoughts, FB/Twitter messages, and books/mags to read, and help out feeding my cats at home, even mowing my yard. Meeting with Barbara Livingston at the farm on Wed. and she gave me strength and positive vibes that I can get through this!

Thankful I have my laptop to watch races of our farm raised 2 yr old running in their 1 races and 2 older ones in the NY Stallion Stakes tomorrow!

This nightmare puts a big dent in my summer plans but I'm making a list of things I hope to do in the fall when it will be my favorite season. I'm blessed that I will have a healthy future after all this. Thanks for reading.
RuffiantoRags
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Welcome back, R2R, although I'm sorry to read that these last seven months have been such an arduous journey. :(
I hope the presence of your family and your cats' purrs comfort you during the weeks ahead and that you recover completely.
FWIW, TVG's Simon Bray was also diagnosed with multiple myeloma a couple of years ago (IIRC), and seems to have recovered his health.
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 7795
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby RuffiantoRags » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:27 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Welcome back, R2R, although I'm sorry to read that these last seven months have been such an arduous journey. :(
I hope the presence of your family and your cats' purrs comfort you during the weeks ahead and that you recover completely.
FWIW, TVG's Simon Bray was also diagnosed with multiple myeloma a couple of years ago (IIRC), and seems to have recovered his health.


Thank you, and yes I was familiar with Simon's diagnosis, but I haven't seen him much now since I don't have the racing networks anymore. Any time I hear
of another person getting past all the treatments and back to their normal lives is an inspiration to me. I CAN DO IT TOO!
RuffiantoRags
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:30 pm

RuffiantoRags wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Welcome back, R2R, although I'm sorry to read that these last seven months have been such an arduous journey. :(
I hope the presence of your family and your cats' purrs comfort you during the weeks ahead and that you recover completely.
FWIW, TVG's Simon Bray was also diagnosed with multiple myeloma a couple of years ago (IIRC), and seems to have recovered his health.


Thank you, and yes I was familiar with Simon's diagnosis, but I haven't seen him much now since I don't have the racing networks anymore. Any time I hear
of another person getting past all the treatments and back to their normal lives is an inspiration to me. I CAN DO IT TOO!

Great attitude, and that's what you need. Best of luck on this hard journey back to complete good health!
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests