Forty Niner

Re: Forty Niner

Postby Northport » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:18 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm glad that Forty Niner is clearly a pampered pensioner....and also glad that he wasn't shipped back to Old Friends.
With all due respect to Blowen and the dedicated staff at OF, I've never been in favor of shipping senior stallions halfway around the world, just so some fans can see them in Kentucky.
IMHO, Silver Charm could have stayed in Japan, where he was treated like a star, instead of being moved away from a place HE had come to know as HOME. Is a drafty old barn and muddy field in Kentucky really better for him?
Alysheba only lived a few months after he was shipped back to Kentucky. Would it have been better for him to have stayed in the Royal Stables in Saudi Arabia, even if it meant not getting a few cute photos of him with his former jockey or trainer?

I agree completely. After seeing photos of the facilities where Silver Charm lived in Japan vs. Old Friends, plus his age, I thought it may have been kinder to just leave him at JBBA.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby shortlead » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Such a solid looking boy, hope he has some good, happy years in him still. :) He is well cared for.
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
shortlead

Postby middleground » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:34 pm

How much success did Forty Niner have in Japan?
middleground

Postby tachyon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Northport wrote:On a somewhat related note, is Naoya Yoshida related to the Yoshidas of Shadai/Northern/Oiwake Farms?

Naoya Yoshida is remotely related to the Yoshidas of Shadai Group.
His great-grandfather Gontaro Yoshida, the founder of Yoshida Bokujo, was a younger brother of Zentaro Yoshida.
Zentaro Yoshida is Teruya/Katsumi/Haruya Yoshida's great-grandfather.
But I believe that Yoshida Bokujo and Naoya Yoshida's Winchester Farm's operations have no relationship with Shadai Group now.

middleground wrote:How much success did Forty Niner have in Japan?

Please check out the links below:
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000337550/sire/record/
tachyon

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:56 am

Between that information & Wikipedia, it seems like from when Forty-Niner was sent to Japan (1995) through his last crop, he sired 525 starters with 395 winners... That doesn't sound too shabby. :mrgreen:
lurkey mclurker

Postby tachyon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:08 am

Here's another recent pick of Forty Niner. :D

at JBBA Shizunai, June 28th 2015
tachyon

Postby Private Thoughts » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:38 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm glad that Forty Niner is clearly a pampered pensioner....and also glad that he wasn't shipped back to Old Friends.
With all due respect to Blowen and the dedicated staff at OF, I've never been in favor of shipping senior stallions halfway around the world, just so some fans can see them in Kentucky.
IMHO, Silver Charm could have stayed in Japan, where he was treated like a star, instead of being moved away from a place HE had come to know as HOME. Is a drafty old barn and muddy field in Kentucky really better for him?
Alysheba only lived a few months after he was shipped back to Kentucky. Would it have been better for him to have stayed in the Royal Stables in Saudi Arabia, even if it meant not getting a few cute photos of him with his former jockey or trainer?

I am one who hates to see these guys leave for Japan or other ports of call, but I agree with you on this one. They are older, set in their ways and that is now their home. I was able to get some awesome photos of Alysheba in Saudi Arabia from his handles there and he looked quite happy. I wish he never would have left in the first place, but what is done is done, and you can't turn back the clock. So I think, unless they will not have a forever home in retirement, then they most likely should stay in whatever country they were exported to.
Private Thoughts

Postby Flanders » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:18 am

Its great to see these old stallions looking awesome in retirement. I always associate him and Seeking The Gold because of their racing days, their affiliation with Claiborne, and both being important sons of Mr. Prospector. Its awesome that they are both living the good life as pensioners at age 30.
Flanders

Postby tachyon » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:28 am

Forty Niner(USA), 31yo
at JBBA Shizunai, July 7th 2016
@NaoyaYoshidaUSA ''He still knows how to pose with lovely appearance'' 8-)
tachyon

Postby sweettalk » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:35 am

gorgeous old man <3
Airplanes are actually much, much safer than trains and cars when it comes to flying.
sweettalk

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding & Sales