Mor Spirit

Curtis

Wed May 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Soon after the BC, Baffert was quoted as saying a meeting was going to take place regarding the future of Mor Spirit. I haven't read anywhere that he has been retired. Anyone heard anything?
Flanders

Wed May 23, 2018 7:42 pm

I never saw any retirement announcement. I never read anything that said what the plan was with him. I do recall reading something that the horse had lost interest in training and racing but that was right after the BC.
Sparrow Castle

Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 pm

This is from just before Christmas 2017.
Mor Spirit, who put on a dazzling show while winning the Met Mile at Belmont Park in June by 6 1/4 lengths, is being given some time off after a disappointing showing in this year’s Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile. Baffert says he’ll be ready to go by the summer.

“He’s one that went south on me,” Baffert said. “He ran so hard (in the Met Mile). All these horses, I think it’s those big efforts. It sort of cooks them a little bit. The Met Mile can be really hard on a horse. We saw what it did to Frosted. He was never the same.”
https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2017/1 ... eet-nears/
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
8m8 minutes ago
For those wondering about Mor Spirit, about a year after he ran off the screen in the Met Mile, trainer Bob Baffert says he's at a training farm in Kentucky and should be returning to training at a racetrack soon.
Curtis

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
8m8 minutes ago
For those wondering about Mor Spirit, about a year after he ran off the screen in the Met Mile, trainer Bob Baffert says he's at a training farm in Kentucky and should be returning to training at a racetrack soon.
Thanks Sparrow! I sent the question to the guy who covers racing for the LA Times and he told me he thought Mor Spirit was retired because he won a G1. I thought it was strange because he's not standing anywhere. When you don't hear anything for awhile you start to hope it doesn't turn into a situation like Materiality. Hope he got time to be a horse and get his head straight. He didn't look happy at the BC last November or training up to it.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
8m8 minutes ago
Thanks Sparrow! I sent the question to the guy who covers racing for the LA Times and he told me he thought Mor Spirit was retired because he won a G1. I thought it was strange because he's not standing anywhere. When you don't hear anything for awhile you start to hope it doesn't turn into a situation like Materiality. Hope he got time to be a horse and get his head straight. He didn't look happy at the BC last November or training up to it.
Yeah, I was glad to see this too, and hope he comes back strong and healthy. It'll be interesting to see what Baffert has in mind for this very nice horse.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
53m53 minutes ago
Breaking retirement news on a horse everyone probably thought was retired already... Mor Spirit. Press release today says he will stand at Spendthrift.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/mo ... endthrift/
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... rift-farm/