Waiting for news on ...

barbaro111

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:50 pm

doing a happy dance---so happy for Angus and his loving family--it has been 6 months
since his near fatal injury-- than God that, with the help of the wonderful staff at LSU, his
loving family, and his bravery, courage and unique personality he is a survivor
lurkey mclurker

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:41 pm

O happy day! Wishing them a happy homecoming and joyous retirement for Angus. :mrgreen:
Kurenai
Site Admin

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:16 am

I just watched the Facebook live videos of the Players journey home. I'm so happy for everyone involved and for Player himself of course! It really helped that he likes to lie down so much and is so good with people (like being shoed while lying down). That was a biiiiig part in his recovery.
Mylute

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:15 am

The Player is such a big quirky puppy dog.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Squeaky

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 pm

So happy he made it home safely after such an ordeal. Can he be used for breeding in the future once fully recovered?
Sparrow Castle

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:37 pm

I said that facetiously upthread, Squeaky, but I doubt very much Angus will be given any real work to do. They will have to be careful with him for the long term. I think laminitis will always be a threat.

The Player Returns Home to Bradley's Farm
"What do you see?" the familiar voice from behind the camera phone said to the chestnut peering out the window of the van that carried him on his his journey from Louisiana.

"Do you see it? Oh yeah, you see it. You know you're home."

Home for 5-year-old horse known as The Player— or "Angus" if you're trying to get his attention—is trainer and co-owner Buff Bradley's Indian Ridge Farm in Frankfort, Ky. It's where Bradley and his late father, Fred, poured years of blood, sweat, and dedication into in the name of yielding such standouts as multiple Eclipse Award champion Groupie Doll and grade 1 winner Brass Hat. It's where they pulled a chestnut son of Street Hero out of their mare Hour Queen back on March 22, 2013 and auspiciously gave him a name befitting a rock star.

It's the place where The Player finally returned to Sept. 21, nearly six months after the injury that claimed his career March 24 threatened to also take his life. As Bradley handed filming duties off to his longtime assistant Maria Kabel, so he could lead his homebred charge onto the grass that will serve as his forever pasture Friday, he repeated the reality again—as much for himself as for the fans tuning into the live stream feature on his Facebook page.
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... dleys-farm

The live video has been posted on his FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/The-Player- ... e_internal
Flanders

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:35 am

Squeaky wrote:
So happy he made it home safely after such an ordeal. Can he be used for breeding in the future once fully recovered?
Doesn't sound like that have any plans to do so unless they have breeding facilities at their farm. They said he is at his forever home.
Old Bones

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:44 am

Flanders wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:35 am
Squeaky wrote:
Doesn't sound like that have any plans to do so unless they have breeding facilities at their farm. They said he is at his forever home.
Buff has mentioned breeding plans in a couple of videos I've listened to. Brief mention.
Mylute

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:53 am

If he does breed, I imagine he would be kept as a private stallion with only a few mares every year, mostly from Buff's band, and I don't think too many breeders would be interested in The Player anyway.
Mylute

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Buff Bradley said, “Now, I'll have to see if a farm out there is interested to have him meet a couple of girlfriends” in this Paulick Report article.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... he-player/
Sparrow Castle

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:47 pm

The Player is at Indian Ridge Farm / OTTBs / English Riding Lessons.
13 hrs · Frankfort, KY ·
This is your invite to come out and see THE PLAYER a.k.a. ANGUS. We will have two different days that you may pick from to come out and see Angus and get a picture with him. He is glad to be back on the farm and ready to see some visitors!
October 13th from 3pm-7pm
November 4th from 10am - 2pm.
Indian Ridge Farm
For directions please use the 1996 Green Wilson Road, Frankfort, KY. 40601 address.
Also for other inquiries my email is: buffbradley63@gmail.com

The Player is at Indian Ridge Farm / OTTBs / English Riding Lessons.
11 hrs · Frankfort, KY ·
We do want to thank Chris Wetherby for his time and careful driving to go to LSU last week to pick up Angus and bring back to the farm. Also thank you Butch Smith for covering for Chris while we were gone and all you do for Indian Ridge Farm.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:23 am

He is such a character, and a pretty boy as well.
What is your opinion of him as a potential sire? I don't have his whole record in front of me but, judging by his Profile on Bloodhorse, he won a few stakes, including the G2 Hagyard Fayette and the G3 Mineshaft Handicap.
His pedigree looks a bit sprinter-y, but that doesn't seem to keep stallions from being commercial successes these days. :P
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:50 am

Hong Kong's Lucky Bubbles was pulled up coming into the stretch of the G1 Sprinters' Stakes at Nakayama. The commentator did not mince words...said the the horse had 'broken down' and the jockey had dismounted.
The track looked really heavy and torn up. :(
RugbyGirl

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:16 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Hong Kong's Lucky Bubbles was pulled up coming into the stretch of the G1 Sprinters' Stakes at Nakayama. The commentator did not mince words...said the the horse had 'broken down' and the jockey had dismounted.
The track looked really heavy and torn up. :(
Lucky Bubbles is all over my timeline at the moment. He walked into a van after the race, he will be assessed by vets and I will post once I know more

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexhet/stat ... 9033129984
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
RugbyGirl

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:42 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
The commentator did not mince words...said the the horse had 'broken down'
Should point out "broken down" is a term used in this part of the world almost every time a horse is pulled up. From various tweets (with help from the translate button) the horse is structurally sound but lame at the walk so I'm cautiously optimistic
RugbyGirl

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 am

From the Hong Kong racing journalists: Trainer Francis Lui Kin-wai revealed Lucky Bubbles is suspected to have suffered a ligament injury to the near fore.
RugbyGirl

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:27 am

Lucky Bubbles has suffered a tear in a suspensory ligament. It is not life threatening but connections have already announced his retirement

https://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/artic ... ers-stakes
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:33 pm

Thank you for those updates. I'm glad that he will recover, but I'm curious about the bit that said he'll return to Hong Kong for his retirement. IIRC, Hong Kong doesn't really have any spacious farms for retired horses. Does that mean he'll eventually be headed over to the mainland? :?
RugbyGirl

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:36 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:33 pm
Thank you for those updates. I'm glad that he will recover, but I'm curious about the bit that said he'll return to Hong Kong for his retirement. IIRC, Hong Kong doesn't really have any spacious farms for retired horses. Does that mean he'll eventually be headed over to the mainland? :?
No he will head back to HK to recover from his injury. Almost none go to China. The majority of horses in HK will retire to NZ or AUS (eventually) There were 200 horses retired to NZ from HK last year, a few will go to US/UK (back to their breeders usually), a handful will stay in HK to either their riding school or as lead ponies for the other racehorses and some that retire while sound and of racing age will go to Macau, Malaysia or Singapore where they can race against lesser horses.

There are also about a dozen former HK horses racing in New Zealand at the moment that were retired because they couldn't handle the constant stable life in HK and are now trained on farms and beaches in NZ and doing really really well when they race
Mylute

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Anybody have any updates on Beach Patrol? He ran very poorly in (I think) the Manhattan and Brown said he would have him checked out. No works since then.