Winter Olympics watch

Winter Olympics watch

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Is it weird that I found the South Korean anthem kind of similar to the melody and rhythm of our Star Spangled Banner? :?

ETA: Now that US athletes are in the stadium, it looks like NBC has stopped showing the other countries that are marching in after the US.
:(
A wee bit jingoistic? :?
BaroqueAgain1

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Spoke too soon...we're getting more countries.
**** - The small contingent from Bermuda came into the below-freezing stadium wearing Bermuda shorts. The flag bearer's nose was redder than the red & white flag he was carrying and he looked like he'd love one of those in-jacket heating units that the US kids have.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby lurkey mclurker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm watching on Eurosport, it's a refreshing change. :mrgreen:

Although I did not see/hear much similarity between their national anthem and ours...

Still LOLing over the Tongan flagbearer going shirtless for this parade too as he did in Rio, how on earth did he not freeze his bits off??? :shock:
lurkey mclurker

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:24 am

Maybe that layer of coconut oil provided some insulation as he walked, although I'm hoping that he had a valet waiting for him in the Tongan seating area with a big, warm, padded coat. Perhaps a hot towel first to wipe off most of the coconut oil. :D
When the cameras scanned the stands, it looked like a lot of the athletes had their collars zipped all the way up, and their hoods pulled down over their faces while they huddled together. A bit too chilly, even for winter athletes. Not enough insulating blubber on those lean bodies. :P :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ballerina » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:54 am

The opening ceremony was beautiful - the technology jaw dropping. I so enjoyed the parade of nations, but some of those uniforms were ghastly.
Ballerina

Postby Catalina » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:50 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Maybe that layer of coconut oil provided some insulation as he walked, although I'm hoping that he had a valet waiting for him in the Tongan seating area with a big, warm, padded coat. Perhaps a hot towel first to wipe off most of the coconut oil. :D
When the cameras scanned the stands, it looked like a lot of the athletes had their collars zipped all the way up, and their hoods pulled down over their faces while they huddled together. A bit too chilly, even for winter athletes. Not enough insulating blubber on those lean bodies. :P :lol:

A heavy layer of vaseline or grease paint does noticeably help, certainly with facial skin, and at ambient temperatures around 25F. But I don't know how much use it would be with with that much exposed skin.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:05 pm

A seventeen-year-old (Red Gerard, IIRC) just won gold in Men's Slopestyle. I think in a dangerous event like this, it probably helps to be so young that fear hasn't yet pitched a permanent tent in your mind.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:23 pm

I've been watching the rest of the team skating (ice dance & ladies') and the nerves have maybe settled, far less falling than yesterday. :lol:
lurkey mclurker

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Lugers are frelling crazy. :shock:
I can't even imagine sliding down a steep, twisting tunnel of ice at 80- 83 mph on a tiny sled, on your back, feet first.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:48 pm

I really hope the ISU does something about the scoring. Reward difficulty by all means YES... but when it means a flawless program is shunned for attempted quads that fall left & right... there's a problem. :?

Adam Rippon had a great skate that he can feel proud of, however it was scored.

And the ladies are really bringing it at the mo. :mrgreen:
lurkey mclurker

Next

Return to Horsin' Around