Dog question

Re: Dog question

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:43 pm

What did your veterinarian say about the vomiting?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby TapitsGal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:05 pm

I talked to them today when I went to pick up canned food for sensitive stomachs from them. They said it sounds like just a bug. They’ve seen lots of dogs with it. As for our dogs my mom doesn’t like bringing them in unless they’ve been vomiting more than one day. She’d rather try and treat it at home first by pulling food and giving them chicken and rice if a couple days pass and no improvement THEN they go in...she said she can’t afford exorbitant vet bills on the dogs to find out nothing is wrong...her best friend just shelled out 1500 plus in vet and surgery bills only to find out her dog Just had a virus and nothing more
TapitsGal

Postby Ballerina » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 pm

TapitsGal wrote:I talked to them today when I went to pick up canned food for sensitive stomachs from them. They said it sounds like just a bug. They’ve seen lots of dogs with it. As for our dogs my mom doesn’t like bringing them in unless they’ve been vomiting more than one day. She’d rather try and treat it at home first by pulling food and giving them chicken and rice if a couple days pass and no improvement THEN they go in...she said she can’t afford exorbitant vet bills on the dogs to find out nothing is wrong...her best friend just shelled out 1500 plus in vet and surgery bills only to find out her dog Just had a virus and nothing more

No vet worth their diploma would do anything more than an x-ray to rule out blockage and maybe a blood test to search for other egregious maladies. To wait most times invites higher vet bills. And your vet diagnosed without seeing and examining the dog? Your other dog comes down with the same problem and your vet prescribes SS dog food? Either you're feeding us a load of hooey or you need to find another vet. Owning animals is expensive. If you're not financially prepared to properly care for them, then don't own them. Just how many have you owned this far and how many times have you come on here looking for advice when you should be seeking the counsel of a vet?!~
Ballerina

Postby Catalina » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Ballerina wrote:
TapitsGal wrote:I talked to them today when I went to pick up canned food for sensitive stomachs from them. They said it sounds like just a bug. They’ve seen lots of dogs with it. As for our dogs my mom doesn’t like bringing them in unless they’ve been vomiting more than one day. She’d rather try and treat it at home first by pulling food and giving them chicken and rice if a couple days pass and no improvement THEN they go in...she said she can’t afford exorbitant vet bills on the dogs to find out nothing is wrong...her best friend just shelled out 1500 plus in vet and surgery bills only to find out her dog Just had a virus and nothing more

No vet worth their diploma would do anything more than an x-ray to rule out blockage and maybe a blood test to search for other egregious maladies. To wait most times invites higher vet bills. And your vet diagnosed without seeing and examining the dog? Your other dog comes down with the same problem and your vet prescribes SS dog food? Either you're feeding us a load of hooey or you need to find another vet. Owning animals is expensive. If you're not financially prepared to properly care for them, then don't own them. Just how many have you owned this far and how many times have you come on here looking for advice when you should be seeking the counsel of a vet?!~

That.
Catalina

Postby serenassong » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Ballerina wrote:

Spot on- and our pets depend on us to make wise choices for them. If you cant do that or support them when they have a health issue, not a good idea to have them.
There is such a thing as pet insurance to help defray costs.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby starrydreamer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Honeymoon wrote:
Rice is not suitable for dogs and I have no idea why vets always give this advice. Rice dehydrates the body and stick in the intestine of the dog.

Huh? Rice doesn't dehydrate human bodies or stick to the intestines of humans. Vets and the AKC both advocate white rice with plain chicken breast for dogs with upset stomachs. It works for my dog (who has an iron stomach, which is surprising for a small breed).

Rice in dry dog feed should be a no-go, but that's because it's feed rice, which is really just whatever is left over after they extract the good stuff for human consumption. That is definitely not good for a dog (or human).
starrydreamer

Postby Ballerina » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:51 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Honeymoon wrote:
Rice is not suitable for dogs and I have no idea why vets always give this advice. Rice dehydrates the body and stick in the intestine of the dog.

Huh? Rice doesn't dehydrate human bodies or stick to the intestines of humans. Vets and the AKC both advocate white rice with plain chicken breast for dogs with upset stomachs. It works for my dog (who has an iron stomach, which is surprising for a small breed).

Rice in dry dog feed should be a no-go, but that's because it's feed rice, which is really just whatever is left over after they extract the good stuff for human consumption. That is definitely not good for a dog (or human).

I agree starrydreamer. Good quality long grain white rice when cooked properly will do no harm. My white rice of choice, however, is Jasmine rice. It's softer and easier to digest.
Ballerina

Postby starrydreamer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Ballerina wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:
Honeymoon wrote:

I agree starrydreamer. Good quality long grain white rice when cooked properly will do no harm. My white rice of choice, however, is Jasmine rice. It's softer and easier to digest.

Jasmine or basmati? Basmati rice is often flavored with jasmine - but I don't care for the taste. Regular basmati, however, is often what I give to my dog, too.

But in any case, I agree with the advice given here. If you're concerned enough to be posting on a message board for advice about your dog and you're not just attention seeking, then take your dog to a vet and work out a payment plan.
starrydreamer

Postby Ballerina » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:14 pm

starrydreamer wrote:But in any case, I agree with the advice given here. If you're concerned enough to be posting on a message board for advice about your dog and you're not just attention seeking, then take your dog to a vet and work out a payment plan.

I don't think many vets will do payment plans. There is a great way to pay for expensive vet bills. Care Credit. If you have a decent credit rating, you can get this payment option. You can get up to 12 months of payment with no interest. Many vets accept Care Credit. So do a lot of other medical practitioners such as dentists, and eye doctors.
Ballerina

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:45 pm

A lot of insurance companies are now offering some types of pet insurance on homeowners policies. It's not expensive coverage.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around