The WAR HORSE Chronicles

WarBiscuit
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 pm

Ah yes, now that's more like it.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
sweettalk
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:34 pm

i hope becky's kitten gets to come back, too
firehorse
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:29 pm

In his fiftieth race, nine year old Hogy just won the Canadian Turf at Gulfstream.

Starts: 49
Firsts: 18
Seconds: 13
Thirds: 6
Earnings: $1,231,627
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:33 pm

He kicked away from a nice field and won with his ears pricked. It's like he said, "You want to see a turn-of-foot in this mile race? Let a sprinter show you how it's done." :P :lol:
Izvestia
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:17 pm

I love Hogy. He is a real pro.
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:55 am

Jughead news: on Friday night 16yo Prime Time Bliss became the oldest Standardbred in the modern era to win a parimutuel race, and one of only 7 Standardbreds (counting fair races and amateur events) to win at age 16. While the mandatory retirement age in most of the US/Canada is 14, Western Canada allows harness horses to race at 15, and Prime Time Bliss's owners successfully petitioned the racing commission to allow the stallion (yes, stallion!) race through the end of the Fraser Downs meet. He'll retire with a record of 343-61-46-33 and will begin his stud career in Wisconsin.
Prime Time Bliss's past performances http://trackit.standardbredcanada.ca/?op=QRAP&id=435007
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Recent Winners:

12yo g Doug (Fortuoso - T.C. Diamond, by Today 'n Tomorrow), 1st at Fonner (3/4/18). 79 - 21-10-11, $119,208.

10yo g Sooner Humor (It's No Joke - Bellarama, by Old Trieste), 1st at Fonner (3/4/18). 100 - 19-12-14, $165,509.

11yo g Becky's Kitten (Kitten's Joy - Caterette, by Cozzene), 1st at Camarero (2/25/18). 130 - 20-23-20, $477, 828.

10yo g Bob's Gone Wild (Mutakddim - On The Wild Side, by Mountain Cat), 1st at Delta Downs (2/28/18), 77 - 15-12-7, $256,166.

10yo g Southern Sunrise (Dehere - Clochard, by Devil's Bag), 1st at Los Alamitos (2/23/18). 26 - 11-5-3, $123,980.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: Red Rose Cat - 10g, Cherishistheword - 11g, Smack Ridge - 10g, Seven Torrents - 11g, Carr Creek - 10g,
Dreamy Kid - 10g, Toccets Charm - 11g, Doug - 12g, Luckarack - 10g, Dark Desire - 10m, Bank Account - 11g,
Honey C - 11m.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Lewdawg N Paradise - 11g, Dance Caller - 12g, Startingold - 11g, Amerocko - 11g, Barrel Knot - 11g, Pursuxit - 10g,
Cavalero - 10g, Kowboy Kody - 10g, Flying Zealous - 11g.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10yo g Ultimate Question (Whywhywhy) finished 7th (last) at Sunland Park (2/24/18) in Race 4. "vied between runners, dropped back and faded, was vanned off".


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Dusty
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Contact:

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:Jughead news: on Friday night 16yo Prime Time Bliss became the oldest Standardbred in the modern era to win a parimutuel race, and one of only 7 Standardbreds (counting fair races and amateur events) to win at age 16. While the mandatory retirement age in most of the US/Canada is 14, Western Canada allows harness horses to race at 15, and Prime Time Bliss's owners successfully petitioned the racing commission to allow the stallion (yes, stallion!) race through the end of the Fraser Downs meet. He'll retire with a record of 343-61-46-33 and will begin his stud career in Wisconsin.
Prime Time Bliss's past performances http://trackit.standardbredcanada.ca/?op=QRAP&id=435007
I just saw this post - that is one sound and amazing horse
May they run with the WIND
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Visitors to the Winners Circle:

10yo g Bob's Gone Wild (Mutakddim - On The Wild Side, by Mountain Cat), 1st at Delta Downs (3/10/18). 78 - 16-12-7, $271,466. 3rd consecutive win.

12yo g Barbaric (Touch Gold - Alpha Saphire, by Alphabet Soup), 1st at Rillito (3/10/18). 43 - 8-10-4, $42,314.

10yo g Pursuxit (Purge - Endear, by Grindstone), 1st at Rillito (3/11/18). 94 - 13-7-13, $80,137.

10yo g Awesome Wonderer (Awesome Again - Wandel, by Fitzcarraldo), 1st at Turf Paradise (3/11/18). 41 - 5-5-0, $31,164.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: Heavy On Themister - 10g, Sam Sparkle - 10r, Just Hank - 11g, Moorestown Jackie - 10g, Catfeinated - 11g,
Moments Notiz - 10g, Crown King - 10g.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Becky's Kitten - 11g, Danzig Tera - 10m, Dark Desire - 10m, My T Quick - 12g, Lucky Lotto - 10g, Brazos Ego - 10g,
Town of Towns - 10g, War and Thunder - 10g.


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 pm

FYI because you follow this horse, WarBiscuit. He's been on the S.O.S.‏@NotCloudyAllDay watch list for a long time. If he races this weekend, it will be 8 days after his last race (there also are three 10 yo's in the race). Alexis has a trainer at the ready to claim him, and it looks like After The Homestretch AZ has agreed to take him to retrain and rehome. Fingers crossed.

I've met Alexis a few times and she seemed reasonable about things like this. I've known her to be very diligent about retiring/retraining/rehoming horses at the proper time when she was married to an active trainer at Golden Gates.

Alexis Farris @flyingequus
8h8 hours ago
Retire Evening Concerto https://www.youcaring.com/eveningconcerto-1130344 … via @youcaring
Evening Concerto is an 11 year old war horse currently running at Turf Paradise. He has over 120 starts and is running again this weekend for a 3,000 tag. I would like to raise 3500 so that the extra money can go to After The Homestretch Arizona (plus a bit to the trainer that will have him in barn until he is moved) NONE of the monies raised benefits me in any way shape or form. This is solely to retire this horse.
Image
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:FYI because you follow this horse, WarBiscuit. He's been on the S.O.S.‏@NotCloudyAllDay watch list for a long time. If he races this weekend, it will be 8 days after his last race (there also are three 10 yo's in the race). Alexis has a trainer at the ready to claim him, and it looks like After The Homestretch AZ has agreed to take him to retrain and rehome. Fingers crossed.

I've met Alexis a few times and she seemed reasonable about things like this. I've known her to be very diligent about retiring/retraining/rehoming horses at the proper time when she was married to an active trainer at Golden Gates.

Alexis Farris @flyingequus
8h8 hours ago
Retire Evening Concerto https://www.youcaring.com/eveningconcerto-1130344 … via @youcaring
Evening Concerto is an 11 year old war horse currently running at Turf Paradise. He has over 120 starts and is running again this weekend for a 3,000 tag. I would like to raise 3500 so that the extra money can go to After The Homestretch Arizona (plus a bit to the trainer that will have him in barn until he is moved) NONE of the monies raised benefits me in any way shape or form. This is solely to retire this horse.
Image
Thanks much, Sparrow Castle, for posting this good news about Evening Concerto. Hopefully, this all works out and he can be retired to a new and less stressful
career. I did notice the other day when the entries were posted for his Sunday race, that a number of other geriatric friends would be in the gate with him - I'll be watching with great interest! There are two old sons of Concerto that I've been following the past couple of years, Evening Concerto and 13yo
Concerto's Song, running at troublesome Camarero (125 starts). I have to believe that the dear souls at CTA have their eyeballs glued on him, along with a couple of other ancient runners. Thanks again for the info!

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4404
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 pm

He's got some fantastic legs for a horse that has run that much. Crossing my fingers for a soft landing and a great forever home for this fella.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:39 pm

He got claimed for $5k by Kieron Magee...

Classic Wildcat finished 4th beaten by 3 3/4 lengths, on March 18, 2018, at LAUREL PARK in Race 2.
Off odds: 3.30
Your comments for this horse were: 2006 Forest Wildcat - Affirmed Class, by Affirmed; Leatherbury
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA2.pdf
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:He got claimed for $5k by Kieron Magee...

Classic Wildcat finished 4th beaten by 3 3/4 lengths, on March 18, 2018, at LAUREL PARK in Race 2.
Off odds: 3.30
Your comments for this horse were: 2006 Forest Wildcat - Affirmed Class, by Affirmed; Leatherbury
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA2.pdf
That doesn't make me happy...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:37 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:He got claimed for $5k by Kieron Magee...

Classic Wildcat finished 4th beaten by 3 3/4 lengths, on March 18, 2018, at LAUREL PARK in Race 2.
Off odds: 3.30
Your comments for this horse were: 2006 Forest Wildcat - Affirmed Class, by Affirmed; Leatherbury
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA2.pdf
That doesn't make me happy...

WarBiscuit
Me either...looks like Kieron Magee has horses at Charles Town in addition to Laurel. So far in 2018 he's had 45 starters who've made 87 starts, a lot more horses than Leatherbury; his career Avg. Earnings Per Start is $4,142. I wish I knew more about him.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:38 pm

But this makes me happy... :D

The Alexis Farris fundraiser raised $3,430 from 52 people, enough to drop the claim. Jeff Metz claimed him (Vod Farris is working as his assistant right now).

Alexis Farris @flyingequus
1h1 hour ago
#EveningConcerto is OURS!!!!! pics on the way. He is healthy and dappled. Told us he is a wonderful horse @NotCloudyAllDay @homestretchAZ @JaCastruccio @hunterandhorses

Picture Alexis tweeted:
Image

Evening Concerto finished 3rd beaten by 2 3/4 lengths, on March 18, 2018, at TURF PARADISE in Race 8.
Off odds: 15.40
Your comments for this horse were: 2007 G Concerto - Almost Aprom Queen, by Montbrook
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA8.pdf
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:46 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:He got claimed for $5k by Kieron Magee...

Classic Wildcat finished 4th beaten by 3 3/4 lengths, on March 18, 2018, at LAUREL PARK in Race 2.
Off odds: 3.30
Your comments for this horse were: 2006 Forest Wildcat - Affirmed Class, by Affirmed; Leatherbury
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA2.pdf
Ugh, who claims a 12yo? Hopefully Leatherbury takes him right back, that horse is the pride of his barn.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:48 pm

A few "celebrity" War Horses entered over the next several days:

10yo g Soi Phet begins his 2018 campaign at Santa Anita tomorrow (3/23) in Race 7 - $62,500 AOC.

10yo h Forest Mouse is entered in the Bill Thomas Memorial S. at Sunland Park on Sunday (3/25/18), trying to reach the million dollar mark. $100,000 purse.

12yo g Reynaldothewizard is entered in the Golden Shaheen at Meydan on March 31st. Even at his advanced age, he may be capable of bringing the house down.

Best of luck to these three familiar faces.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:59 pm

Good return off a six month layoff, in for a $62.5k tag but remains in Leonard Powell's barn.

Soi Phet finished 2nd beaten by 3/4 lengths, on March 23, 2018, at SANTA ANITA PARK in Race 7.
Off odds: 6.00
Your comments for this horse were: 2008 G Tizbud - Summer Jersey, by Siberian Summer; 5/23/13 clmd by Powell for $16k
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA7.pdf
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:09 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Good return off a six month layoff, in for a $62.5k tag but remains in Leonard Powell's barn.

Soi Phet finished 2nd beaten by 3/4 lengths, on March 23, 2018, at SANTA ANITA PARK in Race 7.
Off odds: 6.00
Your comments for this horse were: 2008 G Tizbud - Summer Jersey, by Siberian Summer; 5/23/13 clmd by Powell for $16k
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA7.pdf
Did you think someone was going to claim him for 62.5k? I’d say for that, he’s pretty much claim proof.
Post Reply