The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Postby Miss Woodford » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:32 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I just can't believe that this Sunday Silence horse (who I believe is still intact) is still racing instead of standing at stud. :shock:
Does Japan have any rules mandating retirement at a certain age? IIRC, even Standardbreds can't race past 15 in this country.

I know there have been efforts to reverse the STB retirement rule with many STBs continuing to race well through their teenage years (mandatory retirement is after 14). 14yo Grecale AS has the most wins of any trotter in the country this year with 16. The richest Standardbred in history Foiled Again (earnings of over $7.5 million! Hard to do in a sport without sheikh and Stronach money) recorded his 97th career victory at age 13 a couple weeks ago. If a horse is still racing well and is sound and enjoys their job then their age shouldn't matter.

It is a shock that an intact son of Sunday Silence is still racing at this age though. Was he found to be infertile?
Miss Woodford

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:03 pm

I agree that SBs can be raced into their teens, but their situation is a bit different than TBs. They're not carrying a rider at a 40 mph full gallop. Their gaits spread the stresses out more evenly than running, where all the weight lands hard on one slender, fragile ankle. The nature of harness racing also tends to protect the horses from clipping heels or being body-slammed off balance by another half-ton horse during a race.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:27 pm

After surviving two hurricanes, serious colic, horrible conditions in Puerto Rico, and a long ride across the country, he's finally back home in Washington State to the gal who foaled and helped raise him, and to his original owner who was there to greet him. Welcome home, Catty, and much thanks to all who made this happen!

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
UGOTTABCATTY (11y WA-bred gelding) is safely home after a journey of 4,500 miles. He arrived stateside Oct 19, and spent a little time in Ocala and a month in Lexington. His adopter Alaina, who foaled him, and his former owner Jim are tickled to have him home. @CaribbeanOTTB
Sparrow Castle

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:45 pm

The spirit of Ben's Cat must be pushing his stablemate to do well for King Leatherbury, as 11yo Classic Wildcat has just won his 3rd in a row edging this years earnings toward the $90,000 mark. For obvious reasons, this should make alot of people very happy.

Visitors to the Winners Circle include:

11yo g Classic Wildcat (Forest Wildcat - Affirmed Class, by Affirmed), 1st at Laurel Park (12/11/17). 94 - 28-16-13, $465,098.

12yo g Bank of Dad (Valid Expectations - Starlit City, by Carson City), 1st at Mountaineer (11/22/17). 125 - 25-12-26, $374,207.

10yo g Gentleman Jackson (Alert - Somethingquiet, by Quiet American), 1st at Woodbine (11/22/17). 71 - 20-12-9, $423,613.

11yo g Khan of Khans (Storm Boot - Mondra, by Digression), 1st at Finger Lakes (11/14/17). 105 - 28-20-7, $386,797. Stakes Placed.

11yo g I Am The King (Indy King - Star of the Ball, by Risen Star), 1st at Mountaineer (11/20/17). 85 - 22-18-9, $372,634.

10yo g Island Sunset (Vronsky - Bora Bora, by Numerous), 1st at Mountaineer (11/20/17). 96 - 14-20-9, $245,606.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: Country Flavor - 11g, Its Mr. Slew To You - 10g, Big Tall Paul - 10g, Amerocko - 10g, Roarin Missile - 10g,
Toccets Charm - 10g.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Straight Thunder - 11g, Strike A Spider - 11g.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Miss Woodford » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:42 pm

What a great old horse Classic Wildcat is - moved up in class and beat the odds-on favorite in his race today. His line for the year is 13 starts, 5 wins, 2 places and 3 shows. That's the kind of horse every trainer wants in their barn.
Miss Woodford

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:The spirit of Ben's Cat must be pushing his stablemate to do well for King Leatherbury, as 11yo Classic Wildcat has just won his 3rd in a row edging this years earnings toward the $90,000 mark. For obvious reasons, this should make alot of people very happy.
WarBiscuit

It does seem like Ben whispered in his ear that he's the #1 old guy now, passing the baton.

Classic Wildcat finished 1st by 1/2 lengths, on December 11, 2017, at LAUREL PARK in Race 2.
Off odds: 3.50
Your comments for this horse were: 2006 Forest Wildcat - Affirmed Class, by Affirmed; Leatherbury
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/LRL121117USA2.pdf
Sparrow Castle

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 am

With Woodbine and Finger Lakes headed into their extended winter breaks and Mountaineer to take a shorter one, I wonder which of these great old-timers will be back in the spring and which will get that well-deserved retirement. Bank of Dad -- always loved that name -- coming back at 13 would be kind of cool, especially since he's going so well at the end of his 12-yo year, and I'm also looking forward to seeing Khan of Khans run on one of my Suffolk visits next summer/fall.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby PJMIII » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:With Woodbine and Finger Lakes headed into their extended winter breaks and Mountaineer to take a shorter one, I wonder which of these great old-timers will be back in the spring and which will get that well-deserved retirement. Bank of Dad -- always loved that name -- coming back at 13 would be kind of cool, especially since he's going so well at the end of his 12-yo year, and I'm also looking forward to seeing Khan of Khans run on one of my Suffolk visits next summer/fall.

Here's hoping that Bank of Dad bounces back from his last outing.
PJMIII

Postby WarBiscuit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 pm

PJMIII wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:With Woodbine and Finger Lakes headed into their extended winter breaks and Mountaineer to take a shorter one, I wonder which of these great old-timers will be back in the spring and which will get that well-deserved retirement. Bank of Dad -- always loved that name -- coming back at 13 would be kind of cool, especially since he's going so well at the end of his 12-yo year, and I'm also looking forward to seeing Khan of Khans run on one of my Suffolk visits next summer/fall.

Here's hoping that Bank of Dad bounces back from his last outing.

Yeah, I neglected to mention that after his Mountaineer win, Bank of Dad finished 9th at Mahoning Valley a few days ago. Looking over his results of the past few years, it would appear that he really doesn't care for Mahoning that much and races much better at his regular Mountaineer home. Hopefully, he'll get his customary two
month break this winter and return healthy and sound in the spring. He's had a pretty decent year.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Miss Woodford » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Classic Wildcat was running in bottom level ($5k) conditioned claimers earlier this year and as I mentioned has moved back up the ladder to $7.5 and now $11k open claimers which are pretty competitive at Laurel. He'll probably be back next year too.
Miss Woodford

PreviousNext

Return to Racing