Sol Kumin

Horsebagger

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Two questions.....

1 - Is he genuinely making money with this buying into a minority piece of horses in training strategy? Seems to have a piece of something in every big stake. And a lot of non-stakes horses as well in NY. Buying into Justify has to have cost a lot, right?

2 - Does he even care or is he happy with the winner's circle photo collection he's garnered?
ThreeMustangs

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:38 am

I think he’s going to be deliriously happy when he gets the check from Lady Eli’s sale at auction. Between that and her racing earnings, he hit it out of the ballpark. That’s gotta go a long way to cover the not-so-successful buy-ins.
stark

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 am

Question one....is he genuinely making any money? You could ask this about any owner at the top of the game and get mixed answers depending on their accountant, no doubt he needs some write-offs and is still figuring out the new tax laws.

Question two...does he care or is he happy?
He sure appears to be happy.

But what an odd question in the first place, asking us to judge one individual. It's way above my pay grade here. I can tell you this tho' we're missing a few opinions from the likes of Quiet Chris, Sombalist and Dustino, any of those three would be good at answering your questions if nobody else can, let's put a call out to them.

You know as well as anybody that hobbies don't always show a profit, sometimes it really is just about the memory, the winners circle picture and the peppermint treats.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
thinair

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 am

There's one person that's happy, that's for sure. The shocking thing is that he's not in that picture.
Horsebagger

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 am

thinair wrote:There's one person that's happy, that's for sure. The shocking thing is that he's not in that picture.
agreed. Must be posing with the winning jock in another photo. Or maybe Flay was nearby.

Just as shocking is Stark thinking Quiet Chris can add anything of value to this conversation.
stark

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:43 am

Well, you've racked up 130+ views and got one cryptic insider response. Chris or som or dusty we're all much more direct and free with their opinions of others. Curious, why do you ask?
Horsebagger

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:52 am

stark wrote:Well, you've racked up 130+ views and got one cryptic insider response. Chris or som or dusty we're all much more direct and free with their opinions of others. Curious, why do you ask?
Simply being in the midst of currently trying to make money in this sport, beyond hoping for lightning striking. Doubt QC is the one with the answers, but maybe someone else here has some thoughts. Thanks for yours, as maybe changing accountants might be the answer.

BTW, never once made a post looking to set records with the 'number of views'.
Tessablue

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Yes, what a shame that Chris isn't around to bless this thread with his astonishing ignorance and virulent racism.

I won't pretend to know anything about ownership, but I wonder how much his early buy-in of Exaggerator influenced his strategy. That one pretty much had to be profitable, right?
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm not familiar with what Sol Kumin looks like, so in that group of very happy men in the above photo, which man is Sol? Thanks.
Ballerina

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm not familiar with what Sol Kumin looks like, so in that group of very happy men in the above photo, which man is Sol? Thanks.
The one in the middle (young, dark hair) holding the trophy.
Treve

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 pm

To answer those questions accurately you'd need more information than what we currently have on hand, I think. V might have some interesting insights?
And of course, the answer would vary anyway, depending on the accountant as stark said, or your CEO and racing managers, heh.

But what I mean by missing info is for example... buying into a small piece... how much money (if any) is he expected to pony up for the horse's training and upkeep? Vet care and/or treatments in the event of illness or injury? How much of the share does he get from earnings? How much does he get when selling a horse or striking a stallion deal?

On the surface it does seem like it could be a decent strategy since you're not sinking a huge chunk of money in one single horse... if something happens to said horse, you have others to fall back on, you're not putting all your eggs in the same basket, and I'm assuming that you're doing that at a fraction of the cost of buying 50 of 600k+ yearlings or 2yos in training. Likewise when something does happen to a horse he's likely not bearing the full weight of the cost on his own. He might not be making a ton of money but I don't know if he's losing a ton either. (And quite frankly it's difficult to know without knowing the full details of his arrangements). I mean from a stock market perspective would you invest everything you have in a single thing or company? Or would you invest in gold, streaming, luxury tech etc. and within those, are you gonna for example just buy a lot of Apple shares or are you gonna get a few of those as well as Amazon, Netflix, Google, Sony, Samsung etc.?

It's highly possible that if he does this primarily for the thrill of the winner's circle it doesn't even matter to him if he doesn't do much beyond break even to continue investing in this expensive hobby. You'd have to ask him what his endgame is.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
stark

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 am

thinair wrote:There's one person that's happy, that's for sure. The shocking thing is that he's not in that picture.
Waited patiently, so who is it, we've just got to know!
Horsebagger

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 am

stark wrote:
Waited patiently, so who is it, we've just got to know!

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ku ... e-justify/

Track the narcissistic promotional photos in the next 5 weeks on Twitter and Instagram and it becomes more obvious.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:43 pm

I'd guess that it's "that guy" who recently was not mentioned in another thread except, Horsebagger, you didn't mention YouTube. ^^^

Didn't realize the partners bought in on this one too...must have been sometime last summer.

Amy Zimmerman @NeverSettleTV
26m26 minutes ago
Another racing day, another San Luis Rey Downs fire survivor winner. Kenjisstorm gets it done in his first race back since the Lilac Fire, winning race 4 @santaanitapark #SLRDStrong

Santa Anita: Kenjisstorm wins comeback
Kenjisstorm, in his first start for trainer Phil D'Amato, won an allowance race with a $75,000 claiming option in Thursday's fourth race.

Ridden by Flavien Prat, Kenjisstorm ($9) stalked the pace to the turn and pulled clear in the stretch to win by 2 1-4 lengths over the graded stakes winner Free Rose.

Kenjisstorm ran a mile on turf in 1:33.94. Thursday's race was Kenjisstorm's first start since a fourth in the Grade 2 Eddie Read Stakes at Del Mar last July. A 6-year-old horse, Kenjisstorm was previously trained by Richard Baltas, who trains Free Rose.

Kenjisstorm, who has won 5 of 29 starts, races for a partnership that includes Head of Plains Partners and KM Racing Enterprises.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/41460-santa ... s-comeback

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA4.pdf
Squeaky

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Still very cryptic...what is the name of the person we are talking about?
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:19 pm

zoecadman Retweeted
Bradley Weisbord @BradWeisbord
4h4 hours ago
Bradley Weisbord Retweeted Sue Morris Finley
G2W/G1P UNI breezed Head and Head with G3W Elysea’s World. Both Fillies targeting @TheNYRA races in April for the Kumin/Brown duo. The content on @WatchXBTV is flat out awesome. @iradortiz @jjcjockey

Sue Morris Finley @suefinley
Love watching these @WatchXBTV workouts on the @theTDN website.
stark

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:35 pm

on a somewhat related note from Little Red Feather's Billy Koch.....

LRF Racing Club
‏@lrfracing

LRF is excited to announce we have acquired an interest in Justify, Mendelssohn, Bolt d'Oro, Good Magic and Magnum Moon in a multi-million dollar package. Syndication to follow. @DRFPrivman @raypaulick #afd
thinair

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:36 pm

stark wrote:on a somewhat related note from Little Red Feather's Billy Koch.....

LRF Racing Club
‏@lrfracing

LRF is excited to announce we have acquired an interest in Justify, Mendelssohn, Bolt d'Oro, Good Magic and Magnum Moon in a multi-million dollar package. Syndication to follow. @DRFPrivman @raypaulick #afd
I haven't seen this nonsense until now but today is April 1st....right?

So even syndicates are now making fun of Sol ( who is a friend of mine....though I make fun of him too )?
stark

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 pm

thinair wrote:
stark wrote:on a somewhat related note from Little Red Feather's Billy Koch.....

LRF Racing Club
‏@lrfracing

I haven't seen this nonsense until now but today is April 1st....right?

So even syndicates are now making fun of Sol ( who is a friend of mine....though I make fun of him too )?
You're just too damn smart for this game!
stark

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Kumin Sends out Trio in Search of Derby Glory

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... erby-glory