The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

Sparrow Castle

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:34 am

From Facebook...

ntwo.org
23 hrs ·
Starting July 16, we will be monitoring and purchasing at the local LA livestock auctions each week, and are pleased to offer what we’re calling “auction services” to all groups who want to help fight the fight in Louisiana, for all horses and all breeds. As everyone knows, it’s terrible when kill buyers obtain these horses, keeping them in deplorable conditions while they await either shipment or online extortion. It is far better for the horses that they be obtained by caring groups at the auctions. We therefore offer our presence at the auctions to other groups to purchase horses BEFORE they are abused in the hands of kill buyers. Groups may raise money for the upcoming auctions and coordinate with us to inspect the horses, do their bidding, and fill their order. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if together we can keep these horses from going through unnecessary abuse by getting them at auction? So to the groups who have been rescuing in LA, to other groups who want to delve into LA to help the horses in the kill buyer hotbed, to groups of friends who want to get together for a good cause, we hope to hear from you, to help you, and to help the horses.

ntwo.org
1 hr ·
We will be welcoming Sofia's Nietas (2013 m by Orthodox out of Princess Sofia, by Goodbye Deony) to our program from owner Marsha Lamarche. Like the others we've brought into our program this week in Louisiana, she is boarded at Lora Pitre's Peach Lane Farm while we await a full load to ship to Kentucky.
For those who don't know Lora Pitre, it's estimated that Lora has rehomed thousands of ex-racehorses and other breeds over the past 22 years. Her reputation in Louisiana is excellent and we're so pleased that she is graciously helping us. Sofia's is a good example of the proper care that Pitre gives horses boarded at her farm, as Sofia's has been there recuperating from an injury. Pitre was going to work to rehome Sofia's soon for owner Lamarche, but we were quite willing to bring her to Kentucky and into our program. Thank you Lora and Mrs. Lamarche. She's a very cute girl!
stark

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 pm

The Louisiana Racing Commission will hear presentations as part of a “discussion of horse slaughter,” during its July 16 meeting, according to a meeting agenda. Maggi Moss will give a presentation as a representative of the new National Thoroughbred Welfare Organization, founded by owner Rick Porter. Patrick Richmond will give a presentation as a representative of the Louisiana Horse Rescue Association.

http://www.drf.com/news/louisiana-racin ... -slaughter
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:30 pm

Incredibly disturbing. Thanks, Victoria, for unmasking the truth in this horrible story.

The Battle for Louisiana: Dina Alborano and Horses at Risk
By Victoria Keith
August 29, 2018

Most horse rescues and individuals knowledgeable about rescue believe that it’s generally unwise to purchase or “bail” horses from a kill pen. It doesn’t make those individuals heartless. They detest seeing the horses being extorted on social media, but they know that if they pay the kill buyers then that money will be used to buy and extort the next batch of horses. It’s a vicious and painful cycle for the horses and horse lovers, and big business for kill buyers. The extortion business pays them double, triple, or even quadruple what they are paid by the slaughter plant. Slaughter buyers will never stop extorting horses until their clients stop “bailing” them. In the meantime, legitimate rescues are paying the price. Donations are down, adoptions are down, and the price to outbid slaughter buyers at livestock auctions has increased so high that it’s driven most rescues and private buyers out of the livestock auction market.

Dina Alborano of Trenton, NJ and her organization icareihelp had a meteoric rise in the world of Thoroughbred horse rescue after a Jan. 16, 2018 article was written about her by veteran racing writer Steve Haskin. Alborano and Haskin were friends through co-hosting an internet radio show. Haskin heard from Alborano about the plight of Thoroughbreds standing in kill pens and wrote a beautiful and heartfelt piece about horses Alborano had previously pulled from kill pens. Given Haskin’s stellar reputation, Alborano had instant credibility and her Twitter following jumped to almost 5,000 followers. Donations poured in as Alborano bailed groups of five, eight, and twenty-four Thoroughbreds in a short time post-article, all from Thompson’s Horse Lot in Pitkin, Louisiana, almost half a country away from Alborano’s home.

Soon, though, questions about Alborano and icareihelp started bubbling to the surface. The first was that icareihelp was not a non-profit as stated on its website. More disturbing, however, was that Alborano had chosen as the quarantine and care provider for her organization a man named Hal Parker.

Hal Parker is a former employee of the Stanley Brothers, one of the largest and most notorious kill buyers in the country. Parker defends his work for the Stanleys by saying that he was “saving horses” but the reality is that he made the Stanleys big profits extorting horses for them.

After leaving the Stanleys, Parker continued extorting horses via his Facebook pages for various owners and perhaps himself. He partnered with Alborano in late 2017 and worked almost exclusively for icareihelp until recently when he also started fronting for Thompson’s Horse Lot.

The importance of Parker to Alborano’s operation could not be overestimated, as many were to find out.
More: http://ntwo.org/updates/2018/the-battle ... s-at-risk/
Ziggypop

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:30 pm
Incredibly disturbing. Thanks, Victoria, for unmasking the truth in this horrible story.

The Battle for Louisiana: Dina Alborano and Horses at Risk
By Victoria Keith
August 29, 2018

Most horse rescues and individuals knowledgeable about rescue believe that it’s generally unwise to purchase or “bail” horses from a kill pen. It doesn’t make those individuals heartless. They detest seeing the horses being extorted on social media, but they know that if they pay the kill buyers then that money will be used to buy and extort the next batch of horses. It’s a vicious and painful cycle for the horses and horse lovers, and big business for kill buyers. The extortion business pays them double, triple, or even quadruple what they are paid by the slaughter plant. Slaughter buyers will never stop extorting horses until their clients stop “bailing” them. In the meantime, legitimate rescues are paying the price. Donations are down, adoptions are down, and the price to outbid slaughter buyers at livestock auctions has increased so high that it’s driven most rescues and private buyers out of the livestock auction market.

Dina Alborano of Trenton, NJ and her organization icareihelp had a meteoric rise in the world of Thoroughbred horse rescue after a Jan. 16, 2018 article was written about her by veteran racing writer Steve Haskin. Alborano and Haskin were friends through co-hosting an internet radio show. Haskin heard from Alborano about the plight of Thoroughbreds standing in kill pens and wrote a beautiful and heartfelt piece about horses Alborano had previously pulled from kill pens. Given Haskin’s stellar reputation, Alborano had instant credibility and her Twitter following jumped to almost 5,000 followers. Donations poured in as Alborano bailed groups of five, eight, and twenty-four Thoroughbreds in a short time post-article, all from Thompson’s Horse Lot in Pitkin, Louisiana, almost half a country away from Alborano’s home.

Soon, though, questions about Alborano and icareihelp started bubbling to the surface. The first was that icareihelp was not a non-profit as stated on its website. More disturbing, however, was that Alborano had chosen as the quarantine and care provider for her organization a man named Hal Parker.

Hal Parker is a former employee of the Stanley Brothers, one of the largest and most notorious kill buyers in the country. Parker defends his work for the Stanleys by saying that he was “saving horses” but the reality is that he made the Stanleys big profits extorting horses for them.

After leaving the Stanleys, Parker continued extorting horses via his Facebook pages for various owners and perhaps himself. He partnered with Alborano in late 2017 and worked almost exclusively for icareihelp until recently when he also started fronting for Thompson’s Horse Lot.

The importance of Parker to Alborano’s operation could not be overestimated, as many were to find out.
More: http://ntwo.org/updates/2018/the-battle ... s-at-risk/
Have these people been arrested and charged with fraud and animal abuse? If money crossed state lines the FBI should be cal!ed.
Starine

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:43 pm

I found the exposé by Victoria disturbing and deeply upsetting.

Only slightly less disturbing is Haskin's unwavering support for Alborano. The Blood-Horse deleted his earlier piece on Alborano and he has deleted his Twitter account. He offers comments in this editor's note that basically amount to a whole lot of nothing: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... -note.aspx It's this kind of 'why can't we all just get along' nonsense and I am disappointed in him. He --albeit unwittingly-- helped Alborano dupe countless donors and he is refusing to acknowledge any of this evidence (photos, eyewitness accounts, testimonies, etc.) that contradicts this earlier notion he had of her as some sort of patron saint of discarded thoroughbreds.

Of course, Alborano has fired back with a defense anchored by a written statement from veterinarian Odom about all the supposed treatment he gave the horses named and pictured in Victoria's article: https://www.icareihelp.com/victor-keith-ntwo-slander
Sparrow Castle

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:40 am

I think not just Haskin but a lot of people got behind her efforts originally. Perhaps he's beginning to understand the big picture now and just hasn't yet found a good way to respond to it...maybe a little wounded pride that hopefully will pass.

It's been playing out on twitter today. Donna Brothers is also involved, and others familiar to me. But I've seen this kind of thing tear apart local rescue/rehome groups before. I understand how hard it is to leave horses at risk of slaughter by not paying the inflated prices the kill-buyers want for TBs. But I've also seen that paying those prices only encourages the kill buyers to go get more horses in whatever way they can because it's more lucrative to sell horses directly to these kind of "rescuers" than they can get at auction or for slaughter.

And it sure looks like the horses aren't in a good place at all with Dina and Hal, ugh. I really hope Dina takes Victoria up on her offer.

Donna Brothers @donnabbrothers
·16h
More needed to be said about @icareihelp… I honestly believe we ALL want what is best for the horses. Please read.

NTWO @NTWOorg
Replying to @donnabbrothers and @icareihelp
Dina, let's you and I meet at Hal's property on Tuesday and work the week. We can bring in more volunteers, and start inventorying, getting vet, farrier, and feed to the horses, and start the process of moving them to new homes. Meet you there Tuesday?
9:01 AM · Aug 31, 2018
Starine

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:16 am

Donna Brothers hit the nail on the head, I think. Namely that Alborano may have had the best intentions when she started her rescue, but her lack of resources have made her 'rescue' a far worse fate than going to slaughter.
Starine

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 am

Also copying this comment from the Paulick Report site from the user Cryptoclearance:
The story of Dina Alborano and iCareihelp is another Maria Borell story in the making, with a different twist. Please consider the following when looking at the underside of this whole story.

* An attractive woman with an online presence, using a shocking and horrific platform (that absolutely and without question needs serious attention by local, state and federal authorities) to raise funds from concerned, altruistic people who genuinely care about these horses repeatedly shown in frighteningly dire circumstances, within hours of certain death, to be shipped for slaughter in Mexico.
* Doesn’t have the inclination, sense or professional prowess to file for 501c3 status. Seems to have no intention to have the farms or abandoned poultry barns inspected and TAA accredited; wont allow access for proper inspection. Doesn’t understand nor care that this would allow her the opportunity to qualify for larger funding and grants, but also give individual donors a sense of security of where and how their monies are being used.
* Shows an inability to engage in calm, meaningful dialogue, preferring to act with hysteria at all times. Shows hubris with no restraint, feels empowered and entitled to act as a vigilante who refuses to answer serious questions about follow-up on these horses.
* Uses bullying, slander and malicious attacks in the press and on social media to discredit and harass individuals and reputable aftercare organizations who have gone through the rigorous process of accreditation and 501-c3 status.
* Uses foul language and spews angry tirades, calling out specific people in the industry, by name. Continues to scream that “the big aftercare organizations have stood by doing nothing, not giving a penny while these horses wait to go to slaughter within hours.....!
* Uses the constant refrain of phrases such as “haters”, and to date, the most incredulous statement “the haters who want to be someone, or get rich in Thoroughbred rescue”. There isn’t a single, solitary person who has ever gotten rich off of Thoroughbred rescue. Need we remind anyone of the amount of money, time and unending dedication every single day it requires to take on just one OTTB for retraining and rehoming? It most certainly is NOT a way to get rich, and I speak from personal experience.
* States on social media that “only the women are haters, not a single man has given me grief or questioned my practices or methods.” Wasn’t it the award winning, admirable and insightful journalist Steve Haskin who once stated “women will save racing” ? The irony here is incredible. Will we once again fall for another attractive woman who has decided to use Thoroughbred Racing and hence, TB rescue as a way to gain monies or notoriety with no apparent company, no LLC, business license, charity designation or anything besides her personal PayPal and Twitter account? Because the larger OTTB rescue organizations and communities aren’t lining up to donate to a personal individual’s PayPal account, they are the real “evil haters”?
* A cursory google search conducted over 4 years ago wielded plenty of information about Dina Alborano’s background and prior business ventures, which include a venture to sell stalls for racehorses used to mimic “high-altitude, thin-air training of elite athletes”. It gained no momentum or serious consideration; the methodology being highly controversial and not widely accepted by mainstream trainers.
* Psychologically disturbing and problematic behavior has been associated with this person for a very long time. To wit: Please consider this: A behavioral profile of someone exhibiting Animal Hoarding. A recent study printed in Psychiatry Research, whose research states a pattern with motivation for animal hoarding vs. hoarding objects. In their minds they are like missionaries. They are saving these [animals’] lives … and they are the only ones who can care for them.”

Natalie Voss has done an incredible job with the the painstaking details of this unfolding story, and the many twists and turns it has taken. I sincerely hope Natalie and the Paulick Report stay on it. As with the story of Maria Borell and the horrific aftermath, let’s not forget that a woman with an attractive appearance in a role as a trainer on the national stage easily made fools out of men. It was the reporting and subsequent aftermath, and the many individuals and organizations that had to pick up the pieces to save the countless starving, neglected horses that Ms. Borell & her father were hoarding in a padlocked field in Kentucky with no access to proper food, nutrition, water, or veterinary care.

Let’s also not forget Maria Borell was a woman representing Thoroughbred Racing. Her segment featured on national television during NBC’s coverage of the Breeders Cup. How many respected people in the sport jumped on the bandwagon to defend her, despite numerous reports, complete with pictures and other evidence. Like Dina, she loudly protested her campaign on social media, attacking others and putting forth her manipulated and delusional version of the story. Ms. Borell’s defenseless actions for neglect of horses in her care, failure to pay board, farriers, vets and feed suppliers. How many people were on her side, loudly supporting her version of “victimization by the haters” ? These well-meaning but misguided donors gave their hard-earned money to her “go fund me” page during a media firestorm. Facing multiple counts of animal cruelty, she’s now a felon on the run, in hiding after her father served time in jail. When will we learn ? How many times will it take? A lot of legitimate people in aftercare saw this coming, yet there were many still willing to be taken in by this charleton. And it’s the horses that suffer. Sickening.
Mylute

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:38 am

Normally I would believe the "had good intentions but just bit off too much than she could chew" statement but considering her behavior, her refusal of funds, her strong will to work with kill buyers, attacking the people trying to help, etc has pulled me away from that.

I also must say that I am absolutely floored at Haksin's behavior. ICYMI, he posted an "Editor's Note" on Bloodhorse where he tried to defend himself, and Alborano, rather poorly. Three people had a chance to comment before he (or BH) closed comments, and then he deleted the piece, like with his Twitter. Or at least when I logged on this morning I didn't see it.

I know he probably had dozens of people chewing him out over twitter, which isn't the right thing to do of course, but really? That was his "Editor's Note"?

In no way am I saying he was part of it. I can almost guarantee that he wasn't. He was just someone with a heralded platform that fell victim to Alborano and Parker's trickery. He fell victim like many of us did with Borell (and by extension her dad) years ago. I am going to assume that when he wrote the first article it was a "well she's a new organization so of course the facilities don't look like New Vocations" kind of deal. But instead of using this as a "Yeah guys, I got duped, several of us did, it can happen to the best of us. I'm really sorry. Use this as a cautionary tale against trash "charities" of any kind" he essentially runs away.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Treve

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:11 pm

As much as I like Haskin, he has a tendency to be loyal to his friends well passed the point of reason or morality sometimes. I think most notably of Baffert’s dead horses and the scandal that kicked up... he never brings it up never comments on t in any Baffert related story... I can’t remember if he went so far as to try and defend him.

So I’m not terribly surprised by this.

I do think that Alborano started off with a genuine desire to help but you know what they say about pavement and good intentions. Furthermore I believe the fame and the money got to her... time and time again ‘good people’ get corrupted... so whether it was being duped/misjudging her character or that she became rotten somewhere along the way, it shouldn’t be difficult to disavow her.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:06 am

Interesting project... giving an aftercare rating to different racetracks to help bettors decide which ones to support...
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/co ... y-ratings/
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Sparrow Castle

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:48 am

That really is a great idea! Surprised and pleased it's spearheaded by HANA. I can understand why it's taking awhile to come up with a good algorithm to quantify such a "subjective and complex" issue. I think they'd have to spend time at every track in order to pick up things like the handful of trainers and owners who often personally find homes for their horses, even taking them home to their farms until then. That's not uncommon at tracks where they are frequently the "last connections standing" when horses are falling down the claiming ranks and could end up in bad places. I wish them well with this!

That's quite a meaty article. Nikeela Black is well-known and well-liked in our area and even the track kitchen is hosting fundraisers. We've been following her progress and hoping for a complete recovery!
Mylute

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Do we have any updates on the icareihelp debacle?
Sparrow Castle

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Mylute wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm
Do we have any updates on the icareihelp debacle?
Not much has changed...this is from yesterday.

maggi moss@maggimoss
maggi moss Retweeted Kelly SummersWietsma
when will this continuing Dina@icareihelp ever be over? An attorney threatening a lawsuit by "TEXT" message- perhaps Ms.Alford should review legal obligations of reviewing all infor, applicable law, proper communication, abuse of process AND advising her clients as to discovery-

Kelly SummersWietsma @equisponse
After leaving a message for Dr. Odom and Shawn Alford earlier today, this is the text reply I received from Dr. Odom’s number. One must question the motivation of an attorney who abuses the legal process and while doing so crosses the line of ethical practices.

https://twitter.com/equisponse/status/1 ... 5905335297
katmandu

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:10 am

"I would prefer instead of litigating this matter that you first apologize on the internet to Hal and Dina. . . "

HUH?

And more importantly, are the horses STILL in that horrendous situation?
Sparrow Castle

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:30 pm

Ray Paulick @raypaulick
10m10 minutes ago
Ray Paulick Retweeted too sweet
If these texts are authentic, they paint a very disturbing picture of horses @icareihelp and Dina Alborano have “rescued.”

too sweet@carolinep88
Here it is plain and simple these horses were being neglected no way to skirt around it! Icareihelp you got in over your head but denied help the horses truly need it your ego has prevented them from getting enough surrender the horses NOWntic, they paint a very disturbing picture of horses @icareihelp and Dina Alborano have “rescued.”
Mylute

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Thinking about this today.

Going through Maggi Moss's twitter and apparently Donna Brothers has received threats.

"Y'all win. Now I'M getting death threats. As much as I'd like to save all of the horses, my husband & family prefer I save myself. Best I can tell, even the seemingly good guys can be bad guys. Look for "501c3". That's all I have to say on that. Thanks, everyone, 4 your support!"

ttps://mobile.twitter.com/donnabbrothers/status/1042198129456685057
Sparrow Castle

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:49 pm

This is the latest from Victoria re NTWO and Dina Alborano (icareihelp).

ntwo.org
11 hrs ·
Earlier this week I traveled to Opelousas, Louisiana to attend Wednesday's racing commission meeting. While there, I went to Dominique's on Tuesday to monitor the auction. A total of 3 Thoroughbreds went through the auction. Sufficient evidence was gathered on one owner who dropped off his two Thoroughbred mares to sell and who then knowingly allowed the two mares to be purchased by kill pen owner Jacob Thompson. The owner of the two mares was Erby Thompson, uncle of Jacob Thompson. Uncle Erby sold his horses to nephew Jacob, and now Jacob through Dina Alborano is attempting to have the public pay for or "bail" the horses through threat of sending his own family's horses to slaughter.

The evidence collected by NTWO was submitted to the racing commission.

Below is a link to the Youtube channel where video is uploaded of every horse to sell at Dominique's on Tuesday, Oct. 23 with one exception -- a mini-horse that was the first horse to sell which I didn't video.

Also uploaded is a copy of the video that Jacob Thompson sent to Dina Alborano.

Below is a photo showing the auction horses in their spacious-enough pens at Dominique's at 5:22pm on sale day. This all is evidence of the shell game that we are dealing with in Louisiana with the kill buyers and their fronts. We have a staged video showing 8 supposed Thoroughbreds crammed in a pen though only 3 Thoroughbreds went through the ring. We have Jacob Thompson saying in his video 4 are pregnant though only 1 pregnant mare went through the sale. We have the extortion of the Thompson family's own horses with the threat of slaughter hanging over their heads. And finally, we have Jacob sending his video only to Dina Alborano who dutifully posts the video to attempt to raise money for Jacob.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZgDmU ... x_owtmQvn4
Treve

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm

What a mess...
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...