2018 Dubai World Cup Carnival

BaroqueAgain1

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:51 pm

‘Thunder’ And ‘Lightning’ Dominate Thursday’s Dubai World Cup Carnival Program
Thursday's fifth meeting of the 2018 Dubai World Cup Carnival was highlighted by the US$250,000 Al Maktoum Challenge R2 sponsored by Gulf News (G2) over 1900m on the dirt. Won by Godolphin's multiple G1 winner Thunder Snow, whose appropriately named half-sister Winter Lightning had landed the UAE 1000 Guineas earlier in the evening.
Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... l-program/

I watched the Al Maktoum Challenge race this morning and thought that Thunder Snow looked really good. Since it appears that the US isn't sending any Arrogate/Gun Runner-type monsters to the World Cup this year, perhaps the Godolphin colt stands a chance?
barbaro111

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:‘Thunder’ And ‘Lightning’ Dominate Thursday’s Dubai World Cup Carnival Program
Thursday's fifth meeting of the 2018 Dubai World Cup Carnival was highlighted by the US$250,000 Al Maktoum Challenge R2 sponsored by Gulf News (G2) over 1900m on the dirt. Won by Godolphin's multiple G1 winner Thunder Snow, whose appropriately named half-sister Winter Lightning had landed the UAE 1000 Guineas earlier in the evening.
Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... l-program/

I watched the Al Maktoum Challenge race this morning and thought that Thunder Snow looked really good. Since it appears that the US isn't sending any Arrogate/Gun Runner-type monsters to the World Cup this year, perhaps the Godolphin colt stands a chance?

I love that boy---his Derby antics won him lots of fans I am sure
Izvestia

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:08 pm

It’s really hard to tell how good horses are there because the times are slow.
tachyon

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:45 am

-- from Dubai Racing Club

''Road to Dubai World Cup: Vol. 1/5 (February 28th, 2018)''

http://dubairacingclub.media/?Channel=v ... YTL44fUKsW

•DUBAI WORLD CUP: Sano ‘So Proud’ of Gunnevera

•DUBAI SHEEMA CLASSIC: Rey de Oro on the Rise

•DUBAI TURF: Japan in Droves

•DUBAI GOLDEN SHAHEEN: Takaful Takes the Stage

•AL QUOZ SPRINT: The World is Blue Point’s Oyster

•UAE DERBY: The Oaks Could Prove Key

•GODOLPHIN MILE: Sharp Azteca Has the Edge

•DUBAI GOLD CUP: Vazirabad Brings Backup in Nad Al Sheba Trophy
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Rayya won the Oaks in impressive, front-running fashion. Winter Lightning just couldn't quicken in the stretch and barely hung on for third. Rayya is by Tiz Wonderful, out of (if I heard correctly) a Coronado's Quest mare. All US dirt breeding, so I wonder if we'll see her here in the Ky. Oaks?
Of course, Tiz Wonderful was shipped off to South Korea in 2014, another good stallion by Tiznow that IMHO was sold too soon. :roll:
Rare Rhythm beat Vazirabad in the Gold Cup.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:36 pm

"On a Chantilly card which has produced Meydan winners such as Solow and Cirrus Des Aigles, Talismanic put in a fine display ahead of an audacious Dubai World Cup bid.
Last season's Breeders' Cup Turf hero stretched out in fine style to account for Arc runner-up Cloth Of Stars in the Prix Darshaan over an extended mile and a furlong of the Polytrack."

Read more: https://www.racingpost.com/news/interna ... ure/322104

Talismanic could provide a bit of an upset in the World Cup. He is by Medaglia D'Oro, so he has the breeding for the brown stuff and it doesn't look like the US is sending any monsters this year.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:01 pm

North America beat Thunder Snow in the 10 furlong G1 Al Maktoum Challenge R3. TS tracked the leader but was one-paced and could not make up the ground. If 'Snow can't locate his stretch kick in the coming weeks, I don't think he's going to threaten either West Coast or Talismanic.
Hawkbill won an exciting duel with Frontiersman in the 12 furlong G2 Dubai City of Gold. The two favorites battled through the whole stretch, but the Kitten's Joy colt (who looks SO much like his sire) was in for the fight and won by what looked like a neck.
Both the dirt and the turf were playing really fast at Meydan; I think I heard the announcer mention that four track records had been set today, two on the dirt and two on the grass. :shock:

ETA: Paulick has a nice rundown on the whole card. :D
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... se-record/
honneerider

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Todays Paulick Report talking about West Coast and his preparations for Dubai, states Trained by Bob Baffert, West Coast will have Mike Smith up in the Dubai World Cup.
I thought the last article was all about Mike Smith and his riding Unbridled Forever? It stated how he has ridden great mares. I thought Javier was on West Coast
Treve

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:07 am

honneerider wrote:Todays Paulick Report talking about West Coast and his preparations for Dubai, states Trained by Bob Baffert, West Coast will have Mike Smith up in the Dubai World Cup.
I thought the last article was all about Mike Smith and his riding Unbridled Forever? It stated how he has ridden great mares. I thought Javier was on West Coast
I think it's a mixup on Paulick's side because you are correct multiple sources were talking about the musical saddles game going on what with some regular riders of Dubai mounts staying stateside for Derby preps.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Minor Injury Forces Sharp Azteca To Skip Dubai Trip
Owner Ivan Rodriguez said Monday Cigar Mile winner Sharp Azteca will stay in the U.S. instead of shipping overseas to run in the Goldolphin Mile March 31st. Rodriguez told Daily Racing Form the 5-year-old son of Freud suffered a minor injury following a workout.
Sharp Azteca was last seen finishing eighth in the Pegasus World Cup in late January. He was extremely sharp in 2017, winning four graded stakes, including the Grade 1 Cigar Mile, and he finished second in the Breeders' Cup Mile.
“He came down with a little inflammation in his foot after his last work,” said Rodriguez. “The area scanned clear, but we didn't want to take a chance of sending him all the way over to Dubai then having to scratch him if it flared up again. We want to have a fresh horse for the rest of the year, so we've sent him to the farm for a little rest and will point for the Met Mile later this spring.”

Read more at DRF.com.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... ubai-trip/
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Mary @MaryEllet
19 Mar 2017
RICHARD'S BOY (USA) going for a jog this morning. Nice to see another California-bred in Dubai!
Treve

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Minor Injury Forces Sharp Azteca To Skip Dubai Trip
Owner Ivan Rodriguez said Monday Cigar Mile winner Sharp Azteca will stay in the U.S. instead of shipping overseas to run in the Goldolphin Mile March 31st. Rodriguez told Daily Racing Form the 5-year-old son of Freud suffered a minor injury following a workout.
Sharp Azteca was last seen finishing eighth in the Pegasus World Cup in late January. He was extremely sharp in 2017, winning four graded stakes, including the Grade 1 Cigar Mile, and he finished second in the Breeders' Cup Mile.
“He came down with a little inflammation in his foot after his last work,” said Rodriguez. “The area scanned clear, but we didn't want to take a chance of sending him all the way over to Dubai then having to scratch him if it flared up again. We want to have a fresh horse for the rest of the year, so we've sent him to the farm for a little rest and will point for the Met Mile later this spring.”

Read more at DRF.com.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... ubai-trip/
Bummer but I'm glad they're being cautious, and if he can get some down time on the farm, it's a win for the horse too in my book.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Ballerina

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm

U.S. contingent on its way to Dubai

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... cup-races/
stark

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:57 pm

"likely" starters

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Starine

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for posting the entries, Stark. It's a very exciting card and I'm sorry I don't have TVG anymore to watch them.
Treve

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 pm

XBTV will have live coverage of the DWC starting 6:30 am Pacific Time on Saturday. They'll also have Golden Gates, Gulfstream and Santa Anita coverage.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

stark

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:54 am

Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:39 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Rayya won the Oaks in impressive, front-running fashion. Winter Lightning just couldn't quicken in the stretch and barely hung on for third. Rayya is by Tiz Wonderful, out of (if I heard correctly) a Coronado's Quest mare. All US dirt breeding, so I wonder if we'll see her here in the Ky. Oaks?
Of course, Tiz Wonderful was shipped off to South Korea in 2014, another good stallion by Tiznow that IMHO was sold too soon. :roll:
Rare Rhythm beat Vazirabad in the Gold Cup.
Jeremy Balan Retweeted
Laura King لورا كنج ‏ @LauraKingDXB
37m37 minutes ago
UAE Oaks winner Rayya joins Bob Baffert after Saturday's UAE Derby; will be aimed at the Kentucky Oaks. #DWC18
https://twitter.com/LauraKingDXB/status ... 0177756161
stark

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:56 pm