Other Racing Message Boards?

Re: Other Racing Message Boards?

Postby middleground » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:11 pm

The Reddit board has some interesting threads but very few posters. Would it be so wrong to import some of their discussion topics? :twisted:
middleground

Postby Ballerina » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:33 pm

A lot of people leave or cut back because of vitriol. There's a lot of it here. Unfortunately, it's contagious. Very few topics go without winding up being a donnybrook. FB is kinder and gentler probably because people aren't anonymous. You just have to stay away from the public forum - some of those people are crazier than a rat in a tin out house. I like TBC in spite of the caustic remarks. I can give as good as I get.
Ballerina

Postby Life At Zen » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Izvestia wrote:This is a quieter time of year typically.

My first thought too. Not really a whole lot to chat about in December. I find there's always a lull after the Breeders Cup until about late January.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Postby Tessablue » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Pace Advantage is probably the only other really active one, but that's largely handicapping. As others have said, it's a slow time of year and many people have moved towards Facebook and website comment sections instead of forums. This place isn't as active as it used to be, but at least social media platforms have siphoned many of the craziest and least-pleasant people away from it. And given how many people have already responded to this thread, I hardly think it's fair to classify this forum as "dead."
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Ballerina wrote:A lot of people leave or cut back because of vitriol. There's a lot of it here. Unfortunately, it's contagious. Very few topics go without winding up being a donnybrook. FB is kinder and gentler probably because people aren't anonymous. You just have to stay away from the public forum - some of those people are crazier than a rat in a tin out house. I like TBC in spite of the caustic remarks. I can give as good as I get.

Oh God! Facebook cannot possibly be kinder, can it? I feel like people are so rotten on Facebook but I don't really check it very often.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Ballerina » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Ballerina wrote:A lot of people leave or cut back because of vitriol. There's a lot of it here. Unfortunately, it's contagious. Very few topics go without winding up being a donnybrook. FB is kinder and gentler probably because people aren't anonymous. You just have to stay away from the public forum - some of those people are crazier than a rat in a tin out house. I like TBC in spite of the caustic remarks. I can give as good as I get.

Oh God! Facebook cannot possibly be kinder, can it? I feel like people are so rotten on Facebook but I don't really check it very often.

Not if you just keep it to Friends whom you select. The public FB, however, is dreadful. Lots of loonys out there.
Ballerina

Postby Tessablue » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Horse racing on Facebook is a horrible nightmare in my experience, but I suppose there could be pockets of sanity. Problem is it's inherently insular, so you'll have a fan page that is all-in on a certain horse but has no interest in actual discussion. Twitter is an excellent source for rumors and behind-the-scenes information, but again discussion is pretty limited. Personally I don't see the appeal in decentralized discussion but it is certainly a lot more popular than it used to be, especially among the younger crowds. I've actually found some of our previous members on Twitter and Tumblr, and I'd guess that most active posters on here have been around for a long while.
Tessablue

Postby Ballerina » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:26 pm

I have introduced TB horse racing to a lot of people on FB - many of whom are now fans and follow it regularly. I've hooked up with people I haven't seen or heard from in years.
Ballerina

Postby honneerider » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:31 pm

I follow this forum, only occasionally commenting. My first thought with the topic was "not much going on after the Breeder's Cup". I check 2 other forums, and both also traditionally slow this time of year.
Eclipse Awards, Pegasus will invite more responses.
honneerider

Postby Miss Woodford » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:46 am

Well, there is one extremely active harness racing board frequented by a lot of trainers and owners, the unfortunately named Horseplop.com, but there are waaaay too many crazy political arguments and weirdly casual racism there. Like it's half racing forum and half angry old people off-topic ranting about illegals and welfare queens. Pace Advantage is like that too but at least they keep it confined to their political forum.
Miss Woodford

PreviousNext

Return to Racing