Lure - RIP

Lure - RIP

Postby Horsebagger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uUp2RTEvQg

The only tribute I could think to share. One of my favorite races ever, and the best racetrack description I've ever heard for a speed horse on the front end ....."and a come and get me half in 45 and 4" with exactly the right inflection. Kudos, Tom.

That whole race call was race caller poetry to me. Loved it, and we'll be ingrained in my brain forever.
Horsebagger

Re: Lure - RIP

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Great race, great call, great horse. Thanks for the reminder, Horsebagger. Mike Smith has lost a couple of good friends this year in Holy Bull, and now Lure. RIP Lure.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:01 pm

A HOF racehorse, from a great sire line and gorgeous to boot. It's such a shame that he had fertility problems and left us with far too few offspring. :(
Retired to stud at Claiborne Farm, Lure sired 119 foals, including three graded or group winners among his six stakes winners. He was pensioned in 2004 due to fertility issues.
Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... e-dies-28/
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Retrospectiv » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Oh no :(

An old favorite. His 2 Mile wins were some of the most fun to watch with his gutsy come and get me style.
I'm thankful he lived a good old life.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:43 pm

That race pretty much summarized this guy. An amazing horse that will be remembered for the thrills he gave us. RIP Lure.

Eric Kalet‏ @erickalet
Sad to learn about champion racehorse Lure’s passing. One of my biggest horse crushes! Special thanks to @claibornefarm @raypaulick for the privilege
and opportunity to photograph him in 2015 during @BreedersCup week. #HorseRacing #Lure @alisoninger @Chip_McGaughey @WalkerHancock
Sparrow Castle

Postby Starine » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 pm

That's a shame but at least he lived to a ripe old age. He was good horse on dirt but a really good horse on the lawn.

It really was too bad about his fertility though he did get champion Orpen, who was a leading sire in South America and is the broodmare sire of Japanese champion Satono Diamond.
Starine

Postby Retrospectiv » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:02 am

Lovely photos ^^

Well.....except #3. She's not Lure! Oops! :P
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 am

I was wondering when Lure experimented with henna in his mane. ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:22 am

Retrospectiv wrote:Lovely photos ^^

Well.....except #3. She's not Lure! Oops! :P

Hah, good catch. Eric's tweet got lots of re-tweets and replies and nobody commented on the chestnut with a similar star and nose snip. Maybe, like me, he was just in a hurry looking through pics to post. I was looking for the most recent pics I could find quickly. I was glad to see he looked to be in good health, just a tad ribby, two years ago. Glad he lived a long life.
Sparrow Castle

Return to Racing