Breeders' Cup News & Notes - 2017

Re: Breeders' Cup News & Notes - 2017

Postby PJMIII » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:49 am

Romantic Vision Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Distaff Run

G. Watts Humphrey Jr.'s homebred Romantic Vision will start in the Nov. 3 Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1) at Del Mar, trainer Rusty Arnold said Oct. 11.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... istaff-run
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 am

Lady Eli Works Toward Filly & Mare Turf

Divine Park mare breezed five furlongs in company at Belmont Park.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -mare-turf

----------
PJMIII

Postby Ballerina » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:01 pm

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... s-classic/

Arrogate ‘Ready,’ Gun Runner ‘Dialed In’ During Monday Works For Classic
Ballerina

Postby Old Bones » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Arrogate had a really nice gallop out this work.
Old Bones

Postby stark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:35 am

Hmmmm.......

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman

Many locally based trainers I spoke with this morning -- Baffert, Sadler, Hollendorfer -- said they will not have BC works at DMR. All at SA
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ballerina » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:07 pm

stark wrote:Hmmmm.......

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman

Many locally based trainers I spoke with this morning -- Baffert, Sadler, Hollendorfer -- said they will not have BC works at DMR. All at SA

???
Ballerina

Postby Catalina » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 pm

stark wrote:Hmmmm.......

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman

I've only been able to dredge up bits and pieces that might be connected, but also haven't had an awful lot of time so far this weekend. What came to mind and I was partially able to dredge up was:

The new Del Mar surface was supposed to be just like Santa Anita - and there's been some sentiment that as of a few weeks/months ago that wasn't so. Maybe with time it might settle, hopefully in time for BC. {If so, it doesn't sound like it did.]

Del Mar's new surface is very tiring. [Deep comes to mind, but I haven't been able to confirm where that comment came from.]

"Arrogate hates it."

If you heard anything further (or contrary), would you please add it, Stark. Hopefully the Privman tweet will generate some info on the subject.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Beyond questions about that Del Mar surface, I suspect that the trainers are also trying to keep their horses as happy and healthy as possible. Keeping them home in their own stalls and working over their 'home' track probably helps do that. Shipping them early to Del Mar for the sake of a workout on the surface also means more nights in unfamiliar stalls and surroundings. :shock: And more chances that you have a fretful, unhappy animal, slowly losing weight.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ballerina » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:20 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Beyond questions about that Del Mar surface, I suspect that the trainers are also trying to keep their horses as happy and healthy as possible. Keeping them home in their own stalls and working over their 'home' track probably helps do that. Shipping them early to Del Mar for the sake of a workout on the surface also means more nights in unfamiliar stalls and surroundings. :shock: And more chances that you have a fretful, unhappy animal, slowly losing weight.

It's my understanding they can't work on Del Mar track until a week before the races. Shipping them last minute and expecting them to get used to their new surroundings on such a short schedule can be stressful as well.
Ballerina

Postby katmandu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:45 pm

And Santa Anita is a lot deeper/tiring now than it has been traditionally. Baffert magic?
katmandu

PreviousNext

Return to Racing