Winx

Re: Winx

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 am

So You Think was a really, really good horse who danced all the dances. He didn't win all the time but, damn, that horse showed up EVERYWHERE. IIRC, he was unbeaten in Oz races but, after he won the Cox Plate and was 3rd in the Melbourne Cup, he was sent to Ballydoyle and Aiden O'Brien.
Over two (I think?) seasons, O'Brien ran him in the Dubai World Cup, Royal Ascot, Champions Stakes (both Irish & British), the Arc, Breeder's Cup Classic and more. He won some and finished in front of a lot of good horses even in the ones he didn't win. With the fields in those races, 82 might be a conservative number. ;)
(I do remember reading that SYT's Aussie trainer said that he could have kept the handsome son of High Chaparral unbeaten if he'd stayed in Oz; AOB admitted that it took him a while to figure out how best to train the colt.)
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Kurenai » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:30 am

I agree, So You Think was a REALLY good horse (one of my faves). I think the quote from O' Brien was something like: "I nearly broke him", mostly cause he wanted So You Think to adapt to the European running style. Further back with a burst at the end. It really took him a long time to figure him out and get him back to top level towards the end of his career. I remember that I really appreciated that comment.
Kurenai

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:11 am

Winx's rider, Hugh Bowman, was thrown in the stretch io the Toddman Stakes for 2yo at Randwick. His mount was making a run coming down the stretch when he suddenly...and I mean right NOW...shied to the left by four to six paths. Hugh was thrown like LeBron spiked him, and it's possible that he ended up in front of horses behind him. :(
Candace has reported that Hugh has been taken to the hospital with a possible concussion, and is off the rest of his mounts on the big Randwick card.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:27 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Winx's rider, Hugh Bowman, was thrown in the stretch io the Toddman Stakes for 2yo at Randwick. His mount was making a run coming down the stretch when he suddenly...and I mean right NOW...shied to the left by four to six paths. Hugh was thrown like LeBron spiked him, and it's possible that he ended up in front of horses behind him. :(
Candace has reported that Hugh has been taken to the hospital with a possible concussion, and is off the rest of his mounts on the big Randwick card.

This really sucks for him. Hopefully, we'll get some positive updates soon.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Saintly » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Winx's rider, Hugh Bowman, was thrown in the stretch io the Toddman Stakes for 2yo at Randwick. His mount was making a run coming down the stretch when he suddenly...and I mean right NOW...shied to the left by four to six paths. Hugh was thrown like LeBron spiked him, and it's possible that he ended up in front of horses behind him. :(

Mild concussion, a couple of minor abrasions. All scans clear but will be kept in hospital overnight for observation. I believe the concussion was from when he hit the ground rather than being galloped on.
Saintly

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Saintly wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:

Mild concussion, a couple of minor abrasions. All scans clear but will be kept in hospital overnight for observation. I believe the concussion was from when he hit the ground rather than being galloped on.

That's good to hear. Thanks, Saintly.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Jumron » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:34 am

Hugh Bowman was listed on a couple of stakes horses the next day on the card at Canberra...they were the favorites or second or third choices in the betting, and one of them won with another jockey. I'm glad Bowman will be all right but I'm sure he's not too happy on not being able to ride at Canberra.
Laughter is an instant vacation.....Milton Berle
Jumron

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Winx is supposed to be out for a gallop soon on the track at Rosehill. It's just a conditioning gallop, but it's a testament to what a queen she is for a track like Rosehill to allow a horse out on the track in the middle of a card. 8-)

ETA: She looked good and Kerrin McEvoy seemed to get along with her. That could be important, as Hugh has still not been cleared to ride due to his concussion. I'm glad that the racing officials are enforcing concussion protocols, but Winx is racing next Friday. It would be strange to see a different rider on her, although she doesn't appear to be hard to pilot. Just ready, aim...and whoosh. :mrgreen:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby honneerider » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Bowman cleared to ride Winx
Champion jockey Hugh Bowman is free to ride Winx as the superstar headlines racing at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday after receiving a clearance from stewards on Monday.

And Bowman is also looking forward to literally getting back on the horse when he reunites with Performer, the colt that threw him off at Randwick on March 10, in the feature Group 1 $3.5m Longines Golden Slipper (1200m).
honneerider

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:04 pm

Kementari to tackle world champion Winx in Doncaster lead-up
A combination of hope, reality and purpose will accompany Godolphin’s star Australian colt Kementari into his meeting with the world champion filly Winx in the G1 George Ryder Stakes at Rosehill on Saturday, 24 March.

The George Ryder represents a tremendous challenge for Kementari (Brenton Avdulla), a last-start winner of the G1 Randwick Guineas, for his trainer James Cummings and for the Godolphin team.

But Cummings has kept his hopes and expectations in check, focussing more heavily on the colt’s major target, the A$3 million G1 Doncaster Mile at Randwick on Saturday, 7 April.

“We have our feet firmly on the ground when it comes to appreciating how far behind Winx he is when it comes to achievement and world rankings,” Cummings said.

“We expect our colt to run well, and like everybody else, we also look forward to seeing Winx step out.”

While Winx, the winner of her past 23 races, 16 of them at G1, reigns supreme in the world thoroughbred order, she has rarely been challenged by a horse with Kementari’s combination of youth and ability.

“He’ll go to races prepared to run well, but we have no pressure on the horse to beat Winx,” Cummings.

“It’s simply the run he needs to get to the Doncaster and we’ll be more than proud if he could just race up to Winx and make things interesting. We’re happy to saddle him up.”

https://news.godolphin.com/news/kementari-tackle-world-champion-winx-doncaster-lead
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing