The Florida Derby

Tessablue

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 pm

Thank you very much for sharing that link.

I don't think I can begin to understand the process that goes into making these decisions, and I think all choices will be hard choices moving forward. I just hope all decisions are made with health and safety first in mind.

The card is fantastic; can't wait to hopefully dig into it tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing Tiz the Law against this salty field, love Gouverneur Morris, and Ete Indien must be feeling rather affronted by these draws!
stark

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Ajaaweed, the G2 Remsen runner-up and third in G3 Sam F. Davis, will be scratched from Saturday's Florida Derby, per
@KPMRacingStable
. "He was real dull" this morning, McLaughlin said.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 pm

thinair wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:40 pm
Javier isn't based out of NY in the Winter. I don't believe he has been at Aqueduct since December.
Maybe not Aqueduct per se, but.....

Javier Castellano
@jjcjockey
·Mar 26
After being in New York with my family last week, I was asked by Gulfstream to come early to Florida to get tested for the virus. I was asymptomatic all along. Unfortunately the test came back last night as positive. I am otherwise healthy but will follow the doctors..orders to quarantine for the next 2 weeks. I have had no known contact with anyone that has tested positive. I appreciate the support from everyone including Gulfstream Park. Stay safe everyone and we will all get through this God willing.
katmandu

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:55 pm

Nice story built around the Florida Derby:

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/l ... t-we-have/
Apollo

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:57 pm

South Florida is finally starting to wake up to reality today and ignore the ignoramuses who tried to pretend this was nothing. Emergency alerts sent to smartphones. Bars, restaurants and other entertainment venues ordered to shut down. Nightly curfews from 10 PM to 5 AM.

This stuff began hitting the airwaves Thursday night. And it's led to a dramatic difference in just one day regarding how many people are out and about. Normally I see tons of cars and activity from my front door. Yesterday was plenty. Today it looks like a ghost town, something out of Twilight Zone. My neighbor has 4 kids who have been out back playing basketball every day since school closed. Rowdy loud fun pickup games. Today nothing.

I'm not sure how this will impact the Florida Derby but just be aware of the situational influence in the area:

https://miami.cbslocal.com/coronavirus- ... h-florida/
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm going to try to watch all the coverage available to me on FS1 and/or NBCSN tomorrow...because it's looking like this will be the last live racing we get to see for a long time. :(
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:30 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:27 pm
I'm going to try to watch all the coverage available to me on FS1 and/or NBCSN tomorrow...because it's looking like this will be the last live racing we get to see for a long time. :(
Santa Anita pulled the plug today. I'd imagine Golden Gate will quickly follow. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gulfstream and Tampa Bay call it quits after Saturday, Sunday at the latest. The sad reality is that this disease with no known cure or vaccine is bigger than all sport, all need for entertainment, almost all need for direct human contact. I hope enough progress is made in the next three or four months that we can have some racing -- and other sports -- back by midsummer, but the possibility is very real that 2020 will be a year without homers, touchdowns, goals, knockouts, holes-in-one, sliced backhands ... or thrilling stretch runs.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:47 pm

I'm not so concerned about not being able to watch live racing; I'm worried about the horses.
Thousands of racehorses - TBs, QHs, SBs - across the country will no longer be able to earn a living. The stables may stay open, with backside workers still caring for their horses, but how many will be able to afford to stay there indefinitely?
I fear many horses are going to be headed for sales, some of which may be iffy, as owners/trainers going broke have to disperse their stables. :(
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
I'm not so concerned about not being able to watch live racing; I'm worried about the horses.
Thousands of racehorses - TBs, QHs, SBs - across the country will no longer be able to earn a living. The stables may stay open, with backside workers still caring for their horses, but how many will be able to afford to stay there indefinitely?
I fear many horses are going to be headed for sales, some of which may be iffy, as owners/trainers going broke have to disperse their stables. :(
Probably more of a concern for the horses stuck at Charles Town and Mahoning Valley, but there are small-time owners everywhere. And any owner needs to have his stock running and earning. If everything is shut down through the summer, what will the supply of racehorses look like?
Curtis

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:52 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:22 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Probably more of a concern for the horses stuck at Charles Town and Mahoning Valley, but there are small-time owners everywhere. And any owner needs to have his stock running and earning. If everything is shut down through the summer, what will the supply of racehorses look like?
I just agreed to possibly take in a horse from an owner/trainer who frequents tracks even smaller than that. The horse last ran in 2017 and his owner has decided he can't make it back and is culling his herd a bit. The horse as a little bit of breeding which may be why it was brought to my attention. I don't want to imagine what will happen to some of these horses on the track who suddenly lose their jobs.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 pm

I said it in the other thread: what's even worse is that shelters can't adopt out etc, cause they will close down too. Imagine if some of the staff members get infected, can't risk it. On the plus side: there won't be any auctions either, cause the gathering of people would be too large.

There's a circus in town here that has no income at all after the winter season. People are bringing food. I hope the same will happen for trainers that are struggling. That way everybody can help and send them food etc. Or drop it off at the stable area. And if possible bring food for the workers there too. Some vets could volunteer for emergencies. Then the horses should be fine. Has to happen locally for each track.

Where I live they won't shut down electricity or water etc when someone can't pay at the moment cause they lost their job. Hope the same will happen at least at the racetracks. Can't imagine they would boot trainers out, or? Because when everything passes and they can continue to race they still need the horses.

I honestly wish there would be a possibility to just hit the pause button for 3 months. Nobody has to pay rent/electricity/water/taxes/loans. And then just hit the resume button and carry on. That would save so many. :cry:
ThreeMustangs

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 am

Scratches so far: 3, 4, 6, 11.
Izvestia

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:55 am

Tiz the Law is a beast, but I’m rooting for Independence Hall. I like my horses spicy!

Trying to see an upside: Since these guys won’t be racing 10 furlongs in May, they might actually benefit physically and mentally. The race being in September allows them to grow, mature, become stronger by the time they do run 10 furlongs. The Derby ruins a handful (or more) of them every year - as in, some of them never race again. I’m also curious to see what becomes of them over the next 6 months. It’s a difficult time but I’m looking forward to a September Derby.
stark

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Izvestia wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:55 am

Trying to see an upside: Since these guys won’t be racing 10 furlongs in May, they might actually benefit physically and mentally. The race being in September allows them to grow, mature, become stronger by the time they do run 10 furlongs. The Derby ruins a handful (or more) of them every year - as in, some of them never race again. I’m also curious to see what becomes of them over the next 6 months. It’s a difficult time but I’m looking forward to a September Derby.
I'm thinking we all be in unanimous agreement here.
MySaladDays

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:38 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 am
Scratches so far: 3, 4, 6, 11.
Yeah just saw Disc Jockey scratched.

I guess I'll go with Ete Indien as I find I have no real rooting interest here at all. The rest the card looks great.

Rooting for Decorated Invader in the Cutler Bay 10-7-4-6 box
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:07 am

Andie Biancone @andie_biancone
Replying to @fifty2one1 and @RyanFromChicago
I think running 3rd with a cut up hind leg, lost shoe, and a grabbed heel is pretty above average to me but to each his own
Ete Indien
https://twitter.com/andie_biancone/stat ... 8865293312
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:17 am

Holy crap. That cut on the back of his tendon looks deep.
Brave horse. Respect.
Izvestia

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:17 pm

That is nasty. Hopefully he heals up ok