Breeders cup mum on Mongolian groom

TapitsGal

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:59 pm

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray- ... m-history/

If they've nothing to hide..why keep quiet?
Somnambulist

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 pm

Why would they say anything? That, to me is so much worse. The public has a very short attention span.

People get away with a lot worse than this by keeping mum.
Tessablue

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:46 pm

That information is of particular interest in light of workout videos of Mongolian Groom taken before the Classic. Multiple veterinary sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity say videos shot throughout the week appear to show the horse favoring his left hind leg at the trot.

Shortly after his fatal breakdown, XBTV.com, an entity owned and operated by The Stronach Group, removed the entire archive of Mongolian Groom's workout videos from its website. Other contenders' videos remained posted. Mongolian Groom's videos reappeared late the following day.

“The XBTV situation was based on an abundance of caution,” stated XBTV's Amy Zimmerman on Nov. 4. “We have experienced previously, that news media (mostly non-racing) have accessed the XBTV video library to use that as a resource to use it as b-roll to fill out their news stories. The workouts were pulled [within] the first hour of the accident, but were fully restored yesterday.”

When asked whether the horse's movement had any impact on the decision to pull those videos, Zimmerman declined comment, stating that there were ongoing inquiries into the situation.

Arthur declined to say whether CHRB veterinarians raised any concerns about the horse's soundness in the days leading up to the Breeders' Cup Classic, or whether the CHRB vet team had noted any history of asymmetrical hind end movement in the horse before.
Well, this story isn't going away any time soon. Nor should it. I'm glad someone out there is keeping the pressure on.
Somnambulist

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:06 pm

You see where issuing a statement does more harm then good.
Tessablue

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Sure, but there's a middle ground here. For example:
Arthur said the death of Mongolian Groom will be investigated by CHRB enforcement officers. Further information release is unlikely until that investigation is completed.

The Breeders' Cup, in its statement the night of Mongolian Groom's fatal injury, said renowned equine surgeon Dr. Larry Bramlage will conduct an independent evaluation into the horse's death. The Breeders' Cup did not respond to a question clarifying the nature or scope of Bramlage's evaluation.

No timeline has been provided for such an evaluation.
SA never released a statement and just retweeted the BC, and now the BC won't say anything, probably because they have no answer to either of those questions. I just don't think a mixture of silence and reactionary PR is going to cut it in this scenario. Hopefully they are working on an in-depth statment detailing how the fatality will be investigated (and how that 200k will be donated), for release later this week? So far the most comprehensive statement released is by the North American Association of Racetrack Veterinarians.
Life At Zen

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:31 am

PeTA (unfortunately) has a video up from someone in the stands that recorded the breakdown right up until the horse van drives off. The way he pulled up brought chills down my spine. It was like watching Barbaro all over again. I think Barbaro actually stood on his leg a little more than MG did. I can see why everyone knew how bad the injury was before any updates were given.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
TapitsGal

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:47 am

Life At Zen wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:31 am
PeTA (unfortunately) has a video up from someone in the stands that recorded the breakdown right up until the horse van drives off. The way he pulled up brought chills down my spine. It was like watching Barbaro all over again. I think Barbaro actually stood on his leg a little more than MG did. I can see why everyone knew how bad the injury was before any updates were given.
That's disgusting that someone would film that imo...I saw it happen on TV and it was awful..no need to FILM the aftermath...that's just degrading to the poor horse and his connections...
FlyToTheStars

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:06 am

Is that video online? Just wondering how you knew it was filmed
TapitsGal

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 am

Yes it is online...I've been told it was posted to the PETA website...I personally have not seen it because having seen Mongolian groom breaking down when I watched the race, it was not something I cared to relive
Charlie

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Are we surprised PETA would film and post such a thing? they love to exploit animals' pain for their gain. Thankfully most people don't take PETA seriously and tune them out.

I just hope BC, SA or CHRB doesn't give them anything to run with and gain any similance of crediability,
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:08 pm

IMHO, racing does a poor job of communicating with the general public, which seems to have minimal knowledge when it comes to horses.
I've read complaints about how long it took (two hours, IIRC) the BC to pass along the sad news that MG had been euthanized, as though Santa Anita/BC was covering it up for that long.
The horse wasn't euthanized on the track, or as soon as it reached the equine clinic. He would have been given pain meds, likely sedated, had an air cast placed on his leg and then had any number of diagnostics (like x-rays) done.
The vets would have examined him, looked at whatever scans were done, discussed whether there was ANY chance he could be saved...and then had that discussion with MG's connections.
Being thorough, in order to do the best for the horse, all takes time.
There was no cover-up, just the steps that needed to be taken to find what the best outcome could possibly be.
And the BC/Santa Anita did nothing to relay that to the public. :roll: