Pimlico & Laurel rebuild plans

Vandalay

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:03 am

Here are the links for multiple pics of the rebuilding of Pimlico & Laurel

Pimlico
http://mdhorsemen.com/NewsletterArchive ... 0Plans.pdf

Laurel

http://mdhorsemen.com/NewsletterArchive ... 0Plans.pdf

After looking at these, I can't help but think moving the Preakness to Laurel is STILL TSG's long game
Flanders

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Umm I think they forgot something in the Pimlico plans. There are literally no barns. They show all the current barn areas as "private development" or parking lots in that one picture. At least they remembered to include barns at Laurel.
Vandalay

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:15 pm

According to the plan, all horses will be stabled at Laurel, who will rebuild the barn area with more barns, and a tapeta training track between the dirt & turf courses
sweettalk

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm

i don't remember what happened, but why are they so hellbent on axing pimlico? with all the history there, i'd rather they choose that track as the primary focus for revamp. but as stated, i don't remember what even started all this so :?: :?: :?:
Somnambulist

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm
i don't remember what happened, but why are they so hellbent on axing pimlico? with all the history there, i'd rather they choose that track as the primary focus for revamp. but as stated, i don't remember what even started all this so :?: :?: :?:
Shitty racetrack in the hood, millions to fix up, could probably sell the land for mad bank...

I have never heard racing people agree on anything except what a shithole Pimlico is.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Charlie

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:03 am

It looks interesting.

So are there going to be any stalls? Will the horses be vanned over that day? But still, the horses need to be there before the race and they gotta be held somewhere?

Looks like they are trying to make it as multi-purpose as possible (which is a good idea since it brings in constant revenue that way.)
Flanders

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:25 am

Charlie wrote:
It looks interesting.

So are there going to be any stalls? Will the horses be vanned over that day? But still, the horses need to be there before the race and they gotta be held somewhere?

Looks like they are trying to make it as multi-purpose as possible (which is a good idea since it brings in constant revenue that way.)
It did have a few buildings labeled "Day Stables" so I guess they would be for horses racing that day.
Vandalay

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:43 am

I watched the official presentation at Laurel yesterday, The case that was presented was more compelling than what the links show, with many of the findings from Populous, who is the lead architect. This is a firm that specializes in sports venues, and they argue that the trend at these events is "suites over seats", and temporary grandstand would be more versatile, as they could increase or decrease the size as needed. Also mentioned was the area on the far turn was a "hot spot" for fans during Royal Ascot, and should be popular with Preakness fans as well

Pimlico will have a receiving barn & stakes barn. To handle the increased horse population, Laurel will replace the entire backstretch with new barns totaling 1,584 stalls, and a Tapeta training track between the dirt & turf tracks. although training will be it's primary use, they said the Tapeta surface could be used for racing if weather conditions deem it necessary. the breakdowns at Santa Anita & New York were cited as the reason for this.

The maximum capacity on Preakness day at the "New" Pimlico should be very close to what it is now..

I'm a little more "on board" with this after yesterday's presentation, although I'm skeptical about the barn construction at Laurel, and something that wasn't discussed; Where is everybody gonna park?!
Somnambulist

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Vandalay wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:43 am
Where is everybody gonna park?!
I think you answered your own question earlier in your post. Seats over suites = catering to the 1%. It is the sport of kings. It seems a lot of of tracks are aiming to go this way with any updates (see NYRA). It is the sport of kings after all.

Honestly, I'm not even sure I mind - I've long thought racing has no idea what it wants to be, and how can you market a product when you don't even know what the product is? Marketing 2/3 of the TC as a luxe experience is not exactly the worst in terms of getting money in your pocket.

Thankfully, we don't want children. So we might be able to afford these experiences going forward!
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Charlie

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Flanders wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:25 am
Charlie wrote:
It looks interesting.

It did have a few buildings labeled "Day Stables" so I guess they would be for horses racing that day.

Ah ok, I missed that!

Thank you!