Horse Racing is now officially a joke

djnorth

Sun May 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Didn't see TVG but interested to see their takes. I think that Carruthers' quotes are interesting but wonder if the results sunk his Pick Whatever. 20 horses indicates that there's gonna be bumping, especially at the first turn. Also in longer races it seems like less is called early in the race because there's more time to get back in stride, although sometimes that doesn't happen.

Even though it seemed that MS was the best horse, it's a reasonable argument that WOW and LRT may have been making progress when they got cut off. I think that's why it was the right call. But, what do I know?
Catalina

Tue May 07, 2019 1:04 am

Catalina wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:10 pm

So let's at least do something and get rid of that auxiliary gate. A field of 14 is more than large enough.
I'll stand by my earlier message - a field of 14.
luvsgeldings

Tue May 07, 2019 4:35 pm

steve haskins just wrote an interesting piece about the Derby this year. made many good points. loved it.
Somnambulist

Tue May 07, 2019 4:40 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:35 pm
steve haskins just wrote an interesting piece about the Derby this year. made many good points. loved it.
He cares, he helps
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
WarBiscuit

Tue May 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Catalina wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:04 am
Catalina wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:10 pm

So let's at least do something and get rid of that auxiliary gate. A field of 14 is more than large enough.
I'll stand by my earlier message - a field of 14.
With horse racing safety being scrutinized with a telescope at this point, they may eventually be forced into this - regardless of the money lost. I'd be fine with a smaller field, for sure.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
starrydreamer

Tue May 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Big Ten wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:41 pm
If Tony Stark was known as a war profiteer earlier on, all The Sport of Kings is to me is horse profiteering.

Phar Lap. Alydar. Exceller. Ferdinand.

So I decided to read this whole thread for entertainment purposes and I got stuck on this for some reason. Why is Phar Lap on this list? He was neither killed for the insurance money nor sent to slaughter after his racing career. We still don't know why he died, right? It might have been gastroenteritis, it might have been arsenic poisoning that was either unintentional or intentional.

And yeah, I'm against horse abuse and animal abuse because who isn't, but yes, horse racing is people profiting on horses. So is pretty much any horse sport and anything humans do with domesticated animals. Are you also against child actors/models/reality stars, because that's parents profiting off their kids? Are you also against NCAA sports, because the NCAA makes a heck of a lot of money off student athletes while those students see none of that money?

Yeah, there are some parts of horse racing that can be cruel and we should always strive to make horse racing better and safer for horses and jockeys, but this is a capitalist society. People profit off animals and other people.

The digital hand-wringing that is still going on is fun though, so keep it coming. I suppose typing out really long rambling posts is cheaper than therapy.
MR-W

Tue May 07, 2019 5:53 pm

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... appeal_123#
Saw this video and thought I would post it. Looks like WOW did some moving around prior to MS bolting. We'll never know but getting clipped from behind could have caused this reaction from MS. Tough call and can't stand that all of this went down the way it did.
Mylute

Tue May 07, 2019 6:02 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Big Ten wrote:
If Tony Stark was known as a war profiteer earlier on, all The Sport of Kings is to me is horse profiteering.

So I decided to read this whole thread for entertainment purposes and I got stuck on this for some reason. Why is Phar Lap on this list? He was neither killed for the insurance money nor sent to slaughter after his racing career. We still don't know why he died, right? It might have been gastroenteritis, it might have been arsenic poisoning that was either unintentional or intentional.

And yeah, I'm against horse abuse and animal abuse because who isn't, but yes, horse racing is people profiting on horses. So is pretty much any horse sport and anything humans do with domesticated animals. Are you also against child actors/models/reality stars, because that's parents profiting off their kids? Are you also against NCAA sports, because the NCAA makes a heck of a lot of money off student athletes while those students see none of that money?

Yeah, there are some parts of horse racing that can be cruel and we should always strive to make horse racing better and safer for horses and jockeys, but this is a capitalist society. People profit off animals and other people.

The digital hand-wringing that is still going on is fun though, so keep it coming. I suppose typing out really long rambling posts is cheaper than therapy.
Since we're playing this game, or having this discussion, horses experience injury and death in literally every horse-related sport, or activity, even halter shows. My grandfather once told me a story that he went to an all-breed halter show (where they basically just judged conformation, presentation, and walk/trot while being guided) and a horse spooked for some reason, ran into a wall, and didn't survive. The horses at this show weren't even being ridden. Unwanted horses also experience being sent to slaughter in other disciplines as well.

So to say that we should ban horse racing because of death, injury, and abuse, then we should just stop doing anything with horses. Let's just not even ride them for pleasure. Let's just leave them out in a pasture, maybe that will keep them from getting hurt and make them immortal (not).
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
luvsgeldings

Tue May 07, 2019 6:03 pm

yes I hate the way this all went down too.

watching WoW on the backstretch, he was rank - I mean he was just not settling and the jock had a strangle hold on him - he looked like he could have run up on heels back there too if the jock wasn't trying to hold him back so much. and this was on the backstretch.

its all really just a terrible shame.
WarBiscuit

Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 pm

MR-W wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:53 pm
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... appeal_123#
Saw this video and thought I would post it. Looks like WOW did some moving around prior to MS bolting. We'll never know but getting clipped from behind could have caused this reaction from MS. Tough call and can't stand that all of this went down the way it did.
Interesting, although it's still hard to tell what the hell is going on. Related are these thoughts by Jon Court who does not seem particularly happy with what transpired -

www.horseracingnation.com/news/After_Ke ... ockeys_123

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Northport

Tue May 07, 2019 6:21 pm

Mylute wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:02 pm
starrydreamer wrote:
Big Ten wrote:

Since we're playing this game, or having this discussion, horses experience injury and death in literally every horse-related sport, or activity, even halter shows. My grandfather once told me a story that he went to an all-breed halter show (where they basically just judged conformation, presentation, and walk/trot while being guided) and a horse spooked for some reason, ran into a wall, and didn't survive. The horses at this show weren't even being ridden. Unwanted horses also experience being sent to slaughter in other disciplines as well.

So to say that we should ban horse racing because of death, injury, and abuse, then we should just stop doing anything with horses. Let's just not even ride them for pleasure. Let's just leave them out in a pasture, maybe that will keep them from getting hurt and make them immortal (not).
No kidding. At a friend's barn last year alone, they had one crack its pelvis in two places standing up from a nap in his stall (was euthanized later that week) and another spook in the cross ties, flip over and crack its head (died instantly). This is a top FEI show barn with world class trainers, grooms, and riders. If a horse can find a way to hurt itself or die, it will.
weeeeeeeee
TapitsGal

Tue May 07, 2019 7:52 pm

My friends horse in December was found down in his stall during morning feeds the next morning. Our best guess is that something happened during the night and x-rays revealed he had fractured his pelvis..."Chuck" was euthanized the following morning...accidents can happen ANYWHERE and when I look back and watch this year's Kentucky Derby...I STILL think it's a damn miracle that NOBODY was fatally injured horses or riders alike
Somnambulist

Tue May 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Me two weeks ago: racing needs casual fans!
Me now: omg no they're all awful
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Kurenai
Site Admin

Tue May 07, 2019 8:27 pm

This was many years ago, the top horse of the barn where I helped out, a G1 derby winner was taking a nap. When he tried to get up he was lying to close to the wall, so he started trashing and smashed his head and died. That was the most surreal and heartbreaking thing at the track I've seen. Especially since it was him. I can still remember very well how proud I was, when I was allowed to rub him :lol: (On top of that he was a sweet horse)

Horses die. Even if you put them in a field... things like that happen sadly.
luvsgeldings

Wed May 08, 2019 8:33 am

a sentimental favorite of mine, Free House, died because he slipped and fell over while getting a bath - hit his head - they had to put him down - cried a ton over that one when it happened.

and another, dear Kona Gold was found in his paddock at the Kentucky Horse Park one morning, with a broken leg - something - and he had to be put down. he was outside in the evening and they found him in the morning standing but injured. (isn't that what we heard?)

that sweet little filly of Zenyatta's, died from a broken back when another young horse ran into her in their paddock. just too horrible.

so yes, sadly, these horses die from all kinds of situations and not always on the track.

this game will break your heart and not just once.
djnorth

Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 am

Racing may accelerate it a bit but you get close to horses in any context (outside of maybe Breyers) you risk having your heart broken. That's usually in between some of the most fun times you'll ever have.
Mylute

Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 am

djnorth wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 am
Racing may accelerate it a bit but you get close to horses in any context (outside of maybe Breyers) you risk having your heart broken. That's usually in between some of the most fun times you'll ever have.
Hey...I have 32 Breyers and I ain't letting go of a single one of them :lol:
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Treve

Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 pm

I think the point is Breyers won’t break your heart- Although I was pretty heartbroken when the cleaning lady knocked over one of my breyers while cleaning my room when I was younger.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Wed May 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Side note I wouldn’t compare child stars as increasingly there are laws (at least in California I believe) where the money earned by a minor has to be put in a trust fund precisely so as to prevent abusive situations or parents keeping a stranglehold on the child’s assets.

But anyway I think people often mixup profiting and exploiting. The two are not necessarily the same.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder