Santa Anita 2019

stark

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Ohh how I remember him, with CJ up winning the Classic paying $40, cha-ching!

Is your announcer any good at handicapping?
The one guy I know that can successfully wear 5 different hats is Eddie Burgart and his retirement is looming on the horizon.

It would not surprise me one bit to see FrankM do a closed circuit TV handicapping show before the days races and he can come with some winners the everyday fans down in the dungeon can look forward to.

Promote gambling, that's the new motto!

Any idea if Michael bet ala Dave Johnson where you could hear it in his calls? Otherwise, I don't think I ever heard anything much from him other than the actual calls, and they were very good.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Curtis

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm

I don’t know if he’s much of a handicapper but he did continually call the mare Allaboutthatbass after the fish as opposed to the music signature in a race last June. A huge group in the 5th floor of the grandstand turned towards the speaker and yelled “Bass” (base), in unison. I suppose it can be said he had some treble calling that race.

Promoting gambling is fine. Maybe Frank can roam Frontrunner with Jay Cohen ( when he’s back from his illness) and sing Happy Birthday to patrons in different voices while betting the surrounding tables as to which voice he’s using. If calling races isn’t the highest priority, let’s think out of the box here.
stark

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:31 pm

From Ed Golden's SA stable notes.....

Agent Tony Matos, adept at developing apprentice riders into Eclipse Award winners, hopes his magic touch continues when he brings in 18-year-old Jean Carlos Diaz Jr. from his native Puerto Rico to join Santa Anita’s ever-competitive jockey colony.

Diaz, who carries a 10-pound weight allowance and tacks 106 pounds, is the son of veteran jockey Juan Carlos Diaz, Puerto Rico’s all-time leader in stakes victories and its champion rider the past 16 years. He began his career in 2000 and has compiled 4,772 victories with purse earnings of more than $40 million.

“I’m really excited to have young Diaz,” said Matos, who expects him to arrive at Santa Anita on Feb. 4 with his father, and to begin riding at The Great Race Place Feb. 7 with publication of the latest condition book.

Diaz is a graduate of Puerto Rico’s Escuela Vocacional Hipica which produced the sensational Ortiz brothers, Irad Jr. and Jose, in addition to fellow Puerto Rican Evin Roman, the 2017 Eclipse Award winner as outstanding apprentice rider, represented by Matos.
Starine

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 am

Escape Clause Exits La Canada Score ‘Well,’ Targeting Either Buena Vista Or Beholder Mile
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... lder-mile/
stark

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 am

Diver52

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 pm

stark wrote:
Happy Birthday #98 John Shear
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... rement_123#
Hear, hear!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stark

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:48 am

Thursday Jan 17th

Due to inclement weather, racing @santaanitapark has been cancelled today. Live racing resumes tomorrow (Friday) at 1:00 pm PT.
stark

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:56 pm

Diver52 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 pm
stark wrote:
Happy Birthday #98 John Shear
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... rement_123#
Hear, hear!
https://twitter.com/TVG/status/1086394695205322752
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:15 am

Happy Birthday John.
He must be small-jockey-sized, because Christina is pretty tiny herself. 8-)
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Santa Anita calls on its trainers to stay local
Santa Anita plans to run nine-race programs on weekdays and 10 races on weekends in February, continuing a plan in place since the start of the meeting on Dec. 26, new racing secretary Steve Lym said Friday.

The track has called on trainers to focus on local races. On overnights this weekend, the track published a notice stating that trainers who want to enter runners at other tracks and bring the horse back to Santa Anita must gain permission from the Santa Anita racing office.

“If we have a race here, I’d like them to stay here,” Lym said. “I want people to know we’re watching. We’re striving for field size.”

The issue of horses shipping to other circuits is certain to arise, notably stakes runners sent to Oaklawn Park in Arkansas. California-based runners have excelled at Oaklawn Park in recent seasons.
More: https://classic.drf.com/news/santa-anit ... stay-local
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Santa Anita Moves San Marcos, Baffle Back a Week
Two grass stakes scheduled for Feb. 2-3 at Santa Anita Park will be moved to Feb. 9 because of heavy rain storms expected to hit Southern California during the week and through the weekend.

With the start of Saturday's 1 1/4-mile San Marcos Stakes (G2T) on the Santa Anita hillside turf course, and Sunday's Baffle Stakes a sprint down the hill, the racing office made the decision rather quickly not to run the races this weekend. In the past, with any significant moisture on the downhill course and the main-track crossover to the flat turf course, Santa Anita management has opted to take any races involving the hillside off the grass.

"We're getting anywhere from three to five inches of rain," said Santa Anita racing director Dan Eidson. "The San Marcos starts down the hill, so that's not going to happen, and Baffle runs down the hill, so that's not going to happen."
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ack-a-week
stark

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:27 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 pm
Santa Anita Moves San Marcos, Baffle Back a Week
Two grass stakes scheduled for Feb. 2-3 at Santa Anita Park will be moved to Feb. 9 because of heavy rain storms expected to hit Southern California during the week and through the weekend.

With the start of Saturday's 1 1/4-mile San Marcos Stakes (G2T) on the Santa Anita hillside turf course, and Sunday's Baffle Stakes a sprint down the hill, the racing office made the decision rather quickly not to run the races this weekend. In the past, with any significant moisture on the downhill course and the main-track crossover to the flat turf course, Santa Anita management has opted to take any races involving the hillside off the grass.

"We're getting anywhere from three to five inches of rain," said Santa Anita racing director Dan Eidson. "The San Marcos starts down the hill, so that's not going to happen, and Baffle runs down the hill, so that's not going to happen."
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ack-a-week
Get your dimes ready, it's the big day, mandatory payout on the 20cent P6, could be a life changing $core!
Smart of them to take 'em off the turf early so folks can handicap accordingly.
https://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHor ... -20190202D
stark

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:58 am

From XBTV--Jeff Siegel & Zoe Cadman

Starting today & continuing every Thursday & Friday, join us on Facebook for @Santaanitapark Preview at 11:30 AM PT. This 30 min LIVE telecast from the XBTV studios w/ @zoecadman & @jsiegelracing will feature analysis of the entire Santa Anita program!
http://facebook.com/WatchXBTV/

https://twitter.com/WatchXBTV/status/10 ... 5658029057
Curtis

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:19 pm

The San Pasqual looks like a nice race. Horses trying to fulfill promise, comeback or get back to where they were. It would be nice to see Battle of Midway do the latter as he has not looked the same since they brought him back. It’ll also be interesting to see if McKinzie is going to be able to stretch that brilliance he showed off in the Malibu or whether he’s best going 7-8f for now. There are plenty of others to provide depth. It’s a deeper race than most of the so. CA G1’s have been.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:48 pm

You may want to look for any runner with webbed hooves over the next few days at Santa Anita. It's raining hard now, and will continue through most of the weekend. We may have a slight break tomorrow, but the next storm is coming with start-a-mudslide rain and high winds. :shock:
ElPrado2

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Same in Florida. Look for horses that can swim.
Curtis

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:03 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:48 pm
You may want to look for any runner with webbed hooves over the next few days at Santa Anita. It's raining hard now, and will continue through most of the weekend. We may have a slight break tomorrow, but the next storm is coming with start-a-mudslide rain and high winds. :shock:
That’s why it’s been so dry up here. McKinzie is probably coming out of the San Pasqual, I doubt if Baffert will risk him.
stark

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:01 pm

So , does track management take the heavy downpour into consideration for cancelling the days races?

p.s. there's a $1.6 million dollar carryover in the 20cent Pick6, AND it's a mandatory payout day, could be millions in the pool if they go.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:00 pm

We've had many horses over the years that we would not run on a sealed/muddy track. It's not uncommon that horses have small niggling things that are managed by being careful about the track conditions when they are raced or trained. I'm doubting this Lym guy knows much about training or managing race horses; he pretty much confirms it here. I have a bum leg that makes it unsafe for me to run on concrete or any hard surface, and I'm not stupid enough to conclude that means running on hard surfaces is unsafe. Attitudes like this have no place in the racing office - period - full stop! You go, Shelbe!!!

Shelbe Ruis, Santa Anita at Odds Over Wet-Track Scratch
... "The track isn't unsafe just because it's muddy. Tracks are muddy all around the country. It can be unsafe if there's ruts. It can be unsafe if there's holes. ... The bottom line is, and I don't understand out here—I struggle with this. We float tracks all around America when it rains. You don't have to run, but some horses actually like to run in the mud. Some horses run better in the mud.
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ck-scratch
stark

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:11 pm