American Pharoah

PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:57 am

American Pharoah gets back to work

Last year's champion two-year-old male American Pharoah (Pioneerof the Nile), who was sidelined by injury just prior to the Breeders' Cup, returned to the worktab at Santa Anita Monday morning. Under Martin Garcia, the Bob Baffert trainee toured three furlongs on the fast track in :36 1/5.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editoria ... i?id=48290
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:45 am

American Pharoah now a candidate for San Felipe, though Rebel still on the table

Reigning champion two-year-old male American Pharoah (Pioneerof the Nile) is now a candidate for the $400,000 San Felipe S. (G2) on March 7 at Santa Anita Park as well as the $750,000 Rebel S. (G2) at Oaklawn Park on March 14, trainer Bob Baffert said.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editoria ... i?id=48318
Horsebagger
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:09 am

Wasn't there a report that the injury he's recovering from was a suspensory?
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3268
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Horsebagger wrote:Wasn't there a report that the injury he's recovering from was a suspensory?
Bob Baffert said it was a deep bruise to his left front.
Zayat said it was suspensory-related but they couldn't find anything on xray or ultrasound.
Matt Converse
Posts: 3068
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm
Location: San Francisco

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:58 pm

Considering how easily he trashed Calculator and Texas Red, it will be very interesting to see how he looks in his 3-yo debut, the sky is definitely the limit.
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:51 am

American Pharoah (3-Year-Old Colt)
Date: February 9, 2015
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Three Furlongs
Time: 36:40 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
Rank: 4/12
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:40 pm

With Calculator and Texas Red out, the San Felipe is coming up light. Nice place to pick up some points for somebody.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
blamethewinner
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Matt Converse wrote:Considering how easily he trashed Calculator and Texas Red, it will be very interesting to see how he looks in his 3-yo debut, the sky is definitely the limit.
If he can get the same cozy trip he did in that race, he'll have a chance. Oh, and his main rival going 4 wide the whole way will help as well.

If American Pharaoh ever gets back, he will be a tremendous bet against to me.
User avatar
Man o Taz
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:03 am

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Diver52 wrote:With Calculator and Texas Red out, the San Felipe is coming up light. Nice place to pick up some points for somebody.
Isn't that where Ocho Ocho Ocho and Lord Nelson is pointed?
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend


Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:49 pm

I don't know why Lord Nelson would matter, unless they card the San Felipe as a sprint this year.
Matt Converse
Posts: 3068
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm
Location: San Francisco

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:45 pm

blamethewinner wrote:
Matt Converse wrote:Considering how easily he trashed Calculator and Texas Red, it will be very interesting to see how he looks in his 3-yo debut, the sky is definitely the limit.
If he can get the same cozy trip he did in that race, he'll have a chance. Oh, and his main rival going 4 wide the whole way will help as well.
His main rival in the Derby may be 10 wide.
Matt Converse
Posts: 3068
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm
Location: San Francisco

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:47 pm

dustino140 wrote:I don't know why Lord Nelson would matter, unless they card the San Felipe as a sprint this year.
Because he had a bad trip in one of his two turn races (and then tired) and the other one I think the moon was in retrograde.
thinair
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:10 pm

I'm very skeptical of this horse showing up anywhere, much less the KY Derby.
Horsebagger
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:26 pm

If he truly had a suspensory injury.....no bueno.
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:30 pm

Matt Converse wrote:
dustino140 wrote:I don't know why Lord Nelson would matter, unless they card the San Felipe as a sprint this year.
Because he had a bad trip in one of his two turn races (and then tired) and the other one I think the moon was in retrograde.
I'm not usually one to try to pigeonhole a horse after a half-dozen starts, but I'd need a lot of convincing to bet Lord Nelson in a 2-turn graded race.
Izvestia
Posts: 4063
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:24 am

Horsebagger wrote:If he truly had a suspensory injury.....no bueno.
I really don't think he'll be around very long, I can't get behind him as a Derby horse. Baffert doesn't have horses like this long in his barn.

I think this horse is better than Cairo Prince, but I see the same happening with Pharoah - a couple of races, another injury, retired with 5-6 lifetime starts.
Pioneerof the Nile also retired with a soft tissue injury. No thanks.
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 am

American Pharoah (3-Year-Old Colt)
Your comments for this horse were: 2012 colt by Pioneerof the Nile.
Date: February 15, 2015
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.00:40 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
Rank: 10/65
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:01 am

PJMIII wrote:American Pharoah (3-Year-Old Colt)
Your comments for this horse were: 2012 colt by Pioneerof the Nile.
Date: February 15, 2015
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.00:40 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
Rank: 10/65

Baffert impressed with American Pharoah's breeze

Champion American Pharoah (Pioneerof the Nile), a leading member of trainer Bob Baffert's "best crop of three-year-olds in years," worked five furlongs Sunday morning at Santa Anita Park in 1:00 2/5 as the bay colt prepares for his three-year-old debut.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editoria ... i?id=48379
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:45 pm

His tail is still an embarrassment.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Post Reply