Santa Anita 2019

stark

Sun May 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Okay, so the track was sealed overnight.
If I'm not mistaken, that's the first time since the shutdown that they've had to do that.
ASSuming unretired trackman Dennis Moore is calling the shots?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
genuinerizk

Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 am

Maiden Spectacular Music took a “bad step, eased, and vanned off” yesterday. I haven’t seen any info from Santa Anita or an update on this horse. Anyone know how he is?
stark

Mon May 20, 2019 11:34 am

genuinerizk wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 am
Maiden Spectacular Music took a “bad step, eased, and vanned off” yesterday. I haven’t seen any info from Santa Anita or an update on this horse. Anyone know how he is?
I'm fairly certain that if something bad happened it would have been eagerly reported by multiple sources.
stark

Mon May 20, 2019 2:16 pm

ARCADIA, Calif. – California trainers Mike Pender and Marcelo Polanco were told by Santa Anita management over the weekend to vacate their stalls, according to two track officials who declined to speak publicly.

Pender, who has approximately 19 horses, was cited for an undisclosed horse-welfare issue, while Polanco, who has five horses in his care, was cited for training a horse on behalf of another person, according to the track officials.

continue reading DRF story at...
https://www.drf.com/news/two-trainers-o ... s/all-news
genuinerizk

Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Just read a report that Spectacular Music is indeed gone.
Sparrow Castle

Mon May 20, 2019 5:55 pm

Another horse dies at Santa Anita, the 25th since Dec. 26
After six weeks of safe racing and training, Santa Anita had its second horse death in four days when a first-time starter pulled up during a race Sunday and was euthanized Monday. It was the 25th equine death at the Arcadia track since Dec. 26.

Spectacular Music was running in a maiden claiming race restricted to California-breds when jockey Jorge Velez pulled the horse up on the backstretch after leaving the gate in the six-furlong contest. The gelding was vanned off the course and taken to the barns with the hope of saving him after suffering a pelvis injury. However, the extent of the injury was such that it was decided on Monday morning to euthanize the horse.

The gelding was trained by Steve Miyadi and owned by Miyadi and breeder Nadine Anderson. He was bought for $900 in the local Barretts sale in January 2018.

On Friday, during training, Commander Coil was euthanized after suffering a shoulder-area injury. He was an unraced 3-year-old gelding and was just galloping, much less stressful and not considered risky. The gelding was trained by Marcelo Polanco and owned by Jose Romero. He was not bought at public auction.

The two injuries are similar only in that they are not the most common injuries. Most catastrophic injuries to horses occur in the fetlock or joint area of the leg, not the shoulder area or pelvis.

During the 2016-17 fiscal year, which is how the California Horse Racing Board collects statistics, seven of the 170 horse fatalities in the state were related to the pelvis and 10 related to the humerus, the bone between the shoulder and elbow. In 2017-18, of 113 fatalities in the state, four were in the humerus and five in the pelvis.

“You’ll find that there are pre-existing conditions on most scapular [shoulder blade], pelvic, lumbar [spine], humerus and tibia [lower leg] injuries,” said Dr. Rick Arthur, chief equine veterinarian of the CHRB. “But many are not clinically apparent. The problem is they are hard to discover because they are covered by muscle. Horses with these injuries don’t show lameness. They are very hard to pick up.”

Arthur did not know what prior treatment either of these two horses had received.

“The fetlock is our most worrisome structure,” Arthur said. “The other problem with some of the other bones is that they are not particularly repairable. Sometimes with the pelvis, you can do OK on repairing. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case [with Spectacular Music].”

The track was coming off a period in which it recorded almost 7,000 timed workouts and race starts without serious incident. The track estimates that around 80,000 horses had galloped during that period.

Santa Anita is better equipped to diagnose these types of injuries. The track has a nuclear scintigraphy machine that has examined more than 12,800 horses since it was installed at the track. Santa Anita also announced plans to add a Longmile Positron Emission Tomography Scan machine, called a MILE-PET, to its equine hospital. PET technology has been used on humans for a while, but not horses. The machine will aide in diagnosing fetlock injuries while the horse is standing.
More: https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la- ... story.html
Sparrow Castle

Wed May 22, 2019 2:53 pm

Janet Patton Verified account@janetpattonhl
2h2 hours ago
California Legislature holding a joint hearing today on equine/human safety of Calif. horse racing industry. Bob Baffert,, Mike Smith, @AlexWaldrop, Craig Fravel, Mick Peterson and more scheduled to testify. Begins at 3 or on adjournment. Livestream: https://www.assembly.ca.gov/

Joint Hearing Assembly Governmental Organization And Senate Governmental Organization
ASSEMBLY MEMBER GRAY, SENATOR DODD, Chairs
3 p.m. or Upon Adjournment of Senate Session - State Capitol, Room 4202
Listen to this hearing
Committees: Governmental Organization
3 p.m. or Upon Adjournment of Senate Session
State Capitol, Room 4202
INFORMATIONAL HEARING
SUBJECT:Overview of Equine and Human Safety and Welfare Policies and Procedures Within California's Horse Racing Industry
BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 22, 2019 6:35 pm

After reading the news about Chad Brown, I wonder if the treatment of H-2B backstretch employees at Santa Anita will come up at the hearing? :oops:
Sparrow Castle

Wed May 22, 2019 7:52 pm

So far, I think it's going well. There is also video of the hearing.

https://www.assembly.ca.gov/media/4202-video
Sparrow Castle

Thu May 23, 2019 12:04 am

Bloodhorse is getting smart about which articles they won't allow commenting.

Santa Anita Progress Outlined to California Lawmakers
Industry participants, a track owner, other stakeholders, and even a member of an animal welfare group noted that changes at Santa Anita Park aiming to improve equine safety appear to be working.

And a number of those industry stakeholders say they expect even more improvements on the horizon.

The improvements made since 23 catastrophic breakdowns in racing and training at Santa Anita from Dec. 26-March 31 forced the track to close for racing for much of March were outlined during a May 22 informational hearing before California lawmakers.

In the more-than-two-hour joint hearing before the Assembly Governmental Organization and Senate Governmental Organization, chaired by Assemblyman Adam Gray and Senator Bill Dodd, The Stronach Group chairman and president Belinda Stronach noted that since the track reopened with new house rules in place March 29, more than 100,000 horses have safely raced, worked, or galloped on the track. There have been three equine fatalities from March 31-May 20.
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -lawmakers
Sparrow Castle

Thu May 23, 2019 12:06 am

Informative article.

PET and MRI: A Brave New Diagnostic World
Earlier this month, The Stronach Group announced the arrival later this year at Santa Anita of the Longmile Positron Emission Tomography (MILE-PET) Scan machine-a technology currently under development at California’s UC Davis, that could revolutionize the diagnosis of emerging lower limb injuries that could deteriorate into something catastrophic.

But Santa Anita’s new PET scan machine might not be the only important development at the track. According to CHRB equine medical director Rick Arthur, efforts are afoot to possibly bring a standing MRI to Santa Anita.

The MRI machine’s possible arrival raises some interesting tensions between the two diagnostic modalities. Indeed, proponents of both technologies argue passionately about their individual merits in early injury detection. But what isn’t up for debate is how they both present a win for the horse. “It’ll help complement the diagnostics we offer here to our horses at Santa Anita,” said Ryan Carpenter, a Santa Anita-based private veterinarian. “And it will help us make better choices from a rehabilitation standpoint.”
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/pe ... tic-world/
stark

Sun May 26, 2019 9:46 am

VENT.

Back in the day before the internet in Southern California, AM radio station 1070 was the friend of the racing fan. Every thirty minutes like clockwork they would bring the stretch call of the latest race at Santa Anita, Hollywood Park and Del Mar. It was the easiest, fastest way to find out if your bookie owed you money or not, there was no reason to have to wait for the morning newspaper.

Some years ago the radio station made a change and dropped horse racing coverage from their sports reports at 15 and 45 after each hour, no more stretch calls. In fact, there's been virtually no coverage of local racing except maybe a little Breeders Cup at that time of year.

Imagine my surprise driving in the car this morning, 6:15am and the guy on 1070am says we've got news coming out of Santa Anita today. I reach over and turn up the volume making sure I don't miss anything. Could it be projected rain impacting the turf races on the holiday weekend, what could it be?

Ahhhh crap, PETA is organizing a protest today at the front gates and they wanted to get the word out to the masses, are you freakin kidding me?
Sparrow Castle

Tue May 28, 2019 5:04 pm

Senator Dianne Feinstein calls for suspension of racing at Santa Anita
For the second time in as many months, California Senator Dianne Feinstein has called for a suspension of racing at Santa Anita in reaction to a series of equine fatalities at the track.

In a five-paragraph statement released on Monday, Feinstein called for an “immediate moratorium on racing at Santa Anita.”

“We need a thorough investigation of practices and conditions at the track before any more races are held,” the statement read in part.

Tuesday, California Horse Racing Board officials planned to speak with Feinstein’s staff and provide an update on measures implemented to improve horse safety at Santa Anita.

“Hopefully, we can have some positive conversations,” racing board chairman Chuck Winner said in an interview.

Winner said Feinstein’s office alerted the racing board on Monday that a statement would be released. Winner said Feinstein’s office has had representatives at recent racing board meetings, including one held at Sana Anita on May 23.

Santa Anita officials did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment. Santa Anita raced on Monday and is not scheduled to resume racing until Friday. There are 12 remaining days of racing scheduled for the track’s season,which runs through June 23.

Winner said there have been “ongoing discussions” about the possibility of suspending the Santa Anita meeting. Los Alamitos is scheduled to open a three-week meeting on June 27.

Legislation has been introduced in Sacramento this spring that would give the racing board the authority to suspend racing at a venue “to protect the health and safety of horses and riders.” Senate Bill 469 would allow the racing board to convene an emergency meeting of at least four commissioners with as little as one-hour public notice to discuss a possible suspension of racing.

On May 23, the board agreed to send a letter of support to the state legislature for SB 469.

On May 22, a group of racing officials and horsemen met with a legislative committee to discuss ongoing safety reforms.

On Monday, Feinstein expressed concern about three fatalities in a nine-day period from May 17 to Sunday. Last Saturday, the 9-year-old gelding Kochees suffered a leg injury in a race at Santa Anita. He was euthanized on Sunday after an effort to save him failed.
More: https://www.drf.com/news/senator-dianne ... s/all-news
Sparrow Castle

Tue May 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Los Alamitos mulls cutting two days from summer meet
Los Alamitos officials are considering reducing the number of racing days for the track’s upcoming summer meeting from 12 to 10 to ensure all programs draw sufficient entries, track vice-president Jack Liebau said on Tuesday.

Liebau said there is a possibility Los Alamitos could delay the opening of the meeting from June 27 to June 29. Currently, Los Alamitos is scheduled to run four days a week, from Thursdays through Sundays, through July 14.

Liebau said the track is focused on carding four programs from July 4-7 on a week in which many people will have a four-day vacations in conjunction with the Fourth of July holiday.

“It’s very important that we be able to fill on those four days,” Liebau said. “The Fourth of July is on a Thursday. The Friday becomes a quasi-holiday, in my mind.

“I’m considering when we should open, whether we can fill four days a week with Santa Anita going three days a week and encountering some problems. That’s a topic on my table.

“We’re supposed to open on Thursday the 27th. I’m considering whether we open on Saturday.”

Santa Anita has run three-day racing weeks since April 12 and is scheduled to do so through the conclusion of the current spring-summer meeting on June 23. Santa Anita has seen a drop in average runners per race this spring since the track enacted tougher restrictions on which horses are allowed to race or train following a series of equine fatalities in recent months.

Through Monday, Santa Anita has averaged 7.15 runners per race since April 12. During a comparable period in 2018, the track averaged 7.55 runners per race and ran 51 more races.

Liebau stressed that no decision has been made on the number of programs for the Los Alamitos summer meeting and that he has reached out to California Horse Racing Board officials about the potential change.
More: https://www.drf.com/news/los-alamitos-m ... meet?type=
Mylute

Tue May 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Feinstein is a psycho suffering from TDS.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Somnambulist

Tue May 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Mylute wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:34 pm
Feinstein is a psycho suffering from TDS.
Why is this?
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
CoronadosQuest

Tue May 28, 2019 9:12 pm

I sure hope the Breeder's Cup has a back up plan just in case...
Apollo

Wed May 29, 2019 3:32 am

stark wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:46 am

Back in the day before the internet in Southern California, AM radio station 1070 was the friend of the racing fan. Every thirty minutes like clockwork they would bring the stretch call of the latest race at Santa Anita, Hollywood Park and Del Mar. It was the easiest, fastest way to find out if your bookie owed you money or not, there was no reason to have to wait for the morning newspaper.
Yep, I always anticipated that stretch call. I had a system down pat of switching between KNX 1070 and KFWB News 98.

I'm not surprised at Feinstein's comment. If not her it would have been someone else. When there's a trend like that it needs to stop and revert to normalcy. Americans are more than willing to focus elsewhere. But not when the same storyline keeps popping up.

Frank Stronach obviously anticipated something like that, based on his comments from Preakness day.
ElPrado2

Wed May 29, 2019 12:31 pm

Feinstein is nuttier than an oak tree in November.
stark

Wed May 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Should be pensioned in a nice pasture somewhere, preferably not in California.