Positive Outcomes From The Derby

stark

Sun May 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Rules for DQs might get more National exposure, with each state falling in line and consistent enforcement from sea to shining sea.

Camera coverage, the placement of cameras around the race track have been in place since the war. It's about time to update it for the stewards benefit. We've all seen slo-mo replays that weren't available until the dinner checks were paid at Jack Rubys after the race. The blimp isn't available, but by far one of the best angles to view problems from is above the action. It's time to give the NFL a call and check out something akin to their Skycam coverage, after all they've been using it for some 35 years now!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skycam

As Mastercard would say.....improved camera coverage, multiple angles for replays is .......priceless!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Treve

Sun May 05, 2019 12:49 pm

stark wrote:
Rules for DQs might get more National exposure, with each state falling in line and consistent enforcement from sea to shining sea.

Camera coverage, the placement of cameras around the race track have been in place since the war. It's about time to update it for the stewards benefit. We've all seen slo-mo replays that weren't available until the dinner checks were paid at Jack Rubys after the race. The blimp isn't available, but by far one of the best angles to view problems from is above the action. It's time to give the NFL a call and check out something akin to their Skycam coverage, after all they've been using it for some 35 years now!

As Mastercard would say.....improved camera coverage, multiple angles for replays is .......priceless!
Drone footage would actually be pretty versatile in this case I'd think.

Another positive, this could perhaps make the Derby a little safer if jockeys are more cautious about the cost of winning (especially when the cost results in your win turning into a loss). Perhaps they will be more careful, especially out of the gate. Some things cannot be accounted for such as a horse spooking but some jockeys definitely get reckless.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Blame

Sun May 05, 2019 12:50 pm

stark wrote:

Yes, call the NFL. The same idiots that screwed the Saints out of a trip to the Superbowl. :lol:
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 1:42 pm

Blame wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:50 pm
Yes, call the NFL. The same idiots that screwed the Saints out of a trip to the Superbowl. :lol:
I apologize, but I have to break one of those unwritten rules by engaging with you.

Speaking of idiots.....was the camera replay system part of this play you're referring to?

That's what we're discussing here.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Big Ten

Sun May 05, 2019 2:01 pm

It made me stop gambling. That's the main positive I got out of it.

I was actually going to give up on the sport when Barbaro broke down in 2006. It took me another 13 years and some bad luck this year with betting to finally make me realize enough is enough.

My horse racing fandom finally died yesterday and I'm ok with it. I don't care who wins this year's Preakness or Belmont or every Kentucky Derby after yesterday for as long as I live.

RIP to my horse racing fandom...
December 26, 1995 - May 4, 2019

May the 4th be with you. And RIP to Peter Mayhew AKA Chewbacca.

Now I'm going to get ready for my Game of Thrones episode tonight and try to collect all those Happy Meal Avengers toys.

Family Feud: Avengers vs Game of Thrones
https://youtu.be/gPv4wqOB-Us

^ This is entertainment to me. Nobody is getting killed in real life to entertain us.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Starine

Sun May 05, 2019 2:02 pm

May I ask why you are still here if you are no longer a fan of the sport?
pointgivenfan

Sun May 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Anyway, I've had three non-racing friends text me asking what on earth happened yesterday when they've otherwise never brought up racing.

Any press is good press, right?
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 7:22 pm

pointgivenfan wrote:
Anyway, I've had three non-racing friends text me asking what on earth happened yesterday when they've otherwise never brought up racing.

EVERYONE has asked me. My boyfriend's friends have asked him to ask me what happened.

Thankfully most people in our collective life are pretty serious sports fans on their own and don't lay blame - they know know they don't understand. It's been a pretty wild 24hrs.
firehorse

Sun May 05, 2019 8:02 pm

pointgivenfan wrote:

I suppose, even the Donald is weighing in:

"The Kentucky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough & tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch. Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby - not even close!" he tweeted.
Charlie

Mon May 06, 2019 11:13 am

I think it also makes people see that the industry does value the safety of horse and jockey over money and “tradition”. That rules are rules regardless of how big the race is. Many people have no clue that DQs are inconsistent and about the Bayern situation so it makes horse racing look good at the end of the day.
ElPrado2

Mon May 06, 2019 11:30 am

One positive outcome...
Maybe a certain poster will remember he is no longer a fan... after another 10 or 12 long garbled posts.
barbaro111

Mon May 06, 2019 6:14 pm

The most positive outcome was that all of our beloved horses came home safely -- this could have certainly ended much differently.
Apollo

Mon May 06, 2019 9:02 pm

firehorse wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:02 pm
I suppose, even the Donald is weighing in:

"The Kentucky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough & tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch. Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby - not even close!" he tweeted.
I can't believe I'm in agreement with that guy on anything.

BTW, I love the inane comparisons to Thursday allowance races. If the world were full of Thursday allowance races with 19 or 20 horses involved you'd either have to logically adjust the disqualification standards or have semi-riots on a regular basis.

It is hysterical when situational impact is completely ignored