Horse Racing is now officially a joke

Blame

Sun May 05, 2019 12:49 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 pm
Hey. Blame, better tell that to his connections. They are the ones that said that without the TC on the line they would skip Pimlico.
Hilarious. Next you will believe they weren't upset with the decision to take their horse down. :lol:

Does not matter. Country House isn't beating the Bafferts who will likely run and expose Country House for a very nice but nothing special horse. There is no chance he wins the Preakness. There is no chance a TC will be on the line at Belmont Park. ZERO.
luvsgeldings

Sun May 05, 2019 12:50 pm

and that's it Blame.... the decision yesterday was totally illogical if you take into account what they allow to go on every year in that first turn - or at the start for that matter - truly they just showed what a bunch of hypocrites the stewards are - and how hypocritical this game is in general.
luvsgeldings

Sun May 05, 2019 12:53 pm

and not sure who the comment was directed to but, I had zero money on the races yesterday - not one dime on any race. frankly, with Omaha Beach out, I really didn't care who won as long as it wasn't baffert.
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 12:54 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm sorry you lost money.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Mylute

Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 pm

Blame wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:46 pm
luvsgeldings wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:41 pm
people keep talking about what catastrophe could have occurred if horses went down in the final turn yesterday and how racing dodged a bullet. well hello, this happens every year (almost) in the first turn of the Derby's - and yes, bad stuff could really happen there too - so what is the difference? start making calls on that stuff that happens in the first turn then. or at the start of the race. bad things can happen there too.
You are too logical. Don't you know all the idiots that are saying "the rules say it was interference and he must be taken down" are the same idiots saying interference in the first turn in just part of racing. What a bunch of frauds.

This is the KY Derby. Horses should never come down for something as silly as interference in the first turn or what happened yesterday. It is what happens when a huge field of 3yr olds race. All this bumping and interference is to be expected. Horse should never have been taken down. Have seen much worse at the start of the race virtually every year.
Old man continues to yell at cloud, more at 11.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Big Ten

Sun May 05, 2019 1:41 pm

If Tony Stark was known as a war profiteer earlier on, all The Sport of Kings is to me is horse profiteering.

Phar Lap. Alydar. Exceller. Ferdinand.

Those are the only names I can think about when I want to be sick to my stomach on what happened to them. And those are the more famous ones. It happens ALOT in the lower ranks.

I don't care about the results yesterday. In fact, I'm actually glad it went that way. And I also feel it was the right decision. Had I profited again, I would look like a hypocrite right now. That DQ basically made me stop betting on sports for good.

Even before yesterday's results or the Santa Anita deaths, I started to feel this way about horse racing for awhile. I don't even remember a race from Wise Dan and had to look up who Royal Delta was. If I won yesterday, I would just keep betting. Horse racing is a step up to greyhound racing. That's not a compliment.

Forget about these horses being sent to a slaughterhouse or gets only looked upon as dollar signs to the wealthy, what about the jockeys? They have to deal with bulimia and anorexia just to maintain their weight.

Chris Antley. Michael Baze. Garrett Gomez.

These little men had to risk their lives and still couldn't eat what they wanted to eat. That's why they're dead. Went through substance abuse or alcoholicism. Went suicidal. Again, they were the more famous ones. Alot of stress and substance abuse is going on in the lower ranks.

I will always love the horses. And there are some great people in the industry. But horse racing to me is like being married with someone for over 23 years and realizing yesterday it's time to call it quits. Too many lives are at stake whether horse or human to please the most wealthy people out there.

Anybody below the horse owners are just pawns to fill their pockets. That includes the degenerate gamblers who try to profit off these noble creatures and the malnutrition little people who rides on them.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Northport

Sun May 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Dude, we get it, you don’t like racing anymore because of the treatment of the horses. You’ve said that 74 times in the last 20 hours. I know you only read your own posts on here but I think your point has been made. Godspeed.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute

Sun May 05, 2019 2:02 pm

If you really were done with racing and not just throwing a temporary hissy fit you wouldn't be posting the same stuff over and over again and still lurking on the forum.

Go back to burning your racing books or however you planned to get rid of them.
Treve

Sun May 05, 2019 2:46 pm

How do you mute someone on the new forum?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Under your name, go to user control panel and from there the friends and foes tab.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Treve

Sun May 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:51 pm
Under your name, go to user control panel and from there the friends and foes tab.
Ah thanks I saw the foe thing but wasn't sure what it would do so I didn't want to click the button lmao :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 3:03 pm

I think you should have clicked it yesterday.

Then you just have to hope that people don't quote the people on your ignore list - it doesn't work then.
Apollo

Sun May 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Matt Carruthers gave easily the best summary I have seen, today on The Morning Line.

Matt compared the Derby to a basketball game that is 8-on-8 instead of the typical 5-on-5. He said you simply can't apply the same standards and make the same calls given such a congested situation. Matt said if you went back through the race you would see horses changing paths all the time.

Exactly. That is the same point I made yesterday regarding how pass interference in football is always ignored during a congested Hail Mary situation at the end of a game, as opposed to isolated one-one-one earlier in a normal situation.

Matt made a fantastic point regarding how condescending the racing world has been in this situation. No kidding. I am seeing it all over the place, including here. I only sampled briefly here yesterday but there was already plenty and I am sure there is gobs more of it. Matt mocked the condescending attitude perfectly, "If you don't see this as obvious disqualification then you don't know anything about our sport. Don't watch 3 races per year and tell us how to judge our sport."

That is paraphrased but essentially what he said. I loved it because you could see it stunned and dented the intention of his co-host, who appeared ready to apply the same condescending themes.

Matt said the sporting public sees one horse much the best then is declared not the winner. How does that help the sport? No kidding. Matt said he thought Maximum Security was so much the best he would have won by 6 or 7 lengths without that veer outward. If you are on the verge of losing me and others in my family I don't know who you replace them with. I hadn't discussed the situation with other family members when I posted here last night. I found out later that two of the younger ones were even more furious and dismayed than I was. Everyone was assigning the same focus...that the horse was so much better and actually hindered his own cause more than his opponents.

Matt depicted something fantastically well in an area I regretted not addressing here last night. I nearly came back and make a subsequent post on this theme, but Matt Carruthers described it far better than I would have. Matt said if he nearly gets in a car accident it shakes him up briefly but nothing comes of it. He doesn't even bother to call his insurance company. Matt said something could have happened in the Derby but bottom line it did not happen. We can't chase near misses.

That is a perfect analogy. I've seen all this nonsense from the purity crew acting as if the sport protected itself via this decision. "Look at what we nearly avoided. It could have been catastrophic." That is absurd. There are constant near misses in this sport simply via the nature of the sport, with charging horses in close proximity and no ability to communicate with each other. If the sport were so concerned about separation then it wouldn't have adjacent starting gates that are barely wider than the horse itself. The most dangerous part of the Indy 500 is the start and likewise the break of a horse race. Yet the industry does nothing. If the gates were separated by even 6 inches more it makes for a safer break. But the sport doesn't dare risk losing gamblers who think those outer spots are more of a hindrance. Plus you couldn't squeeze 20 horses into the Derby.

Nothing changed yesterday except the official result. This was not race riding like Angel Cordero. It was not intentional in the slightest. Nothing will change in the future. The sport was not protected. These guys were given high profile instructions in the jockey quarters by I believe the same lady who made the disqualification later. They understood the magnitude of the race and the situation.

I thought it was incredibly weak and revealing that the woman chief steward read an official statement, but was too scared to field any questions. That was perfect depiction of the condescending nature of the sport at that level. In essence: Don't question anything we are doing.

Matt Carruthers said he didn't believe it was a unanimous verdict all along. He said if it takes 23 minutes then it was a 2-to-1 split for most of the process but ended up like a jury pool when one juror is worn down by the majority and simply goes along with it.
luvsgeldings

Sun May 05, 2019 5:16 pm

I have a lot of respect for the opinions of Richard Migliore - and he said this morning on the Belmont racing show, that he did not agree with the stewards yesterday.

he said the Derby is always a roughly run race and the stewards have always let things go - he said MS was much the best on the day and was the clear winner - he said he didn't understand how taking down the obviously best horse and winner of the race to put up a horse that was second best (and hardly bothered in his opinion) was in the best interests of the sport or the racing public. especially when you take into account what the stewards have allowed to go on in all of the other KY Derby's.

have to say, I agree with him again.
Mylute

Sun May 05, 2019 6:00 pm

What part of "it would have looked worse to the public if we didn't disqualify Maximum Security" do y'all not understand?
Turul

Sun May 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Blame wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:22 pm
I hate the trainer of Maximum Security, believe he is a cheater, but the West family was robbed. Saez was robbed. The gambling public was robbed. And I bet Roadster.

Nearly 20 minutes to make the wrong decision. The KY Stewards must be fired, not even for the atrocious decision, but for taking 20 minutes. Embarrassing.
Good riddance! Don't let the door hit you!
Looking into the eyes of Cigar was a life changing experience.
Catalina

Sun May 05, 2019 6:10 pm

djnorth wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:14 pm
Wow again! Interesting that people are "done" over MS dq but not when 23 die at SA, 7 of Baffert's od on thyroid meds, etc. Just wow...

Don't know MS connections but feel sorry for them. Still think Mott's classy. Think horse racing would have been more of a joke if the dq doesn't happen, a la Bayern. Looks to everyone (not just non-Baffertites) that Bob pulls SA stewards' strings. And yeah, I lost money today!

Also agree with those who think racing would be rolling up the rugs and shutting off lights if MS, WOW or anyone else had fallen or if MS would have been I injured by WOW's front feet. The level of carnage that was narrowly avoided is mind-blowing.
So let's at least do something and get rid of that auxiliary gate. A field of 14 is more than large enough.
djnorth

Sun May 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Wouldn't mind them shrinking the field a little though I'm not sure that would completely eliminate the problem. Some of the roughest-run races I've seen were 6-7 horse fields. I think a more even application of the rules, which is easier said than done, is what is needed.
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 7:04 pm

I would love a 14 horse field, but there is no way that is going to happen. The handle generated from the 20 horse field alone is too great.
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Catalina wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:10 pm
So let's at least do something and get rid of that auxiliary gate. A field of 14 is more than large enough.
KentD was just asked that question on TVG instead of an aux gate should they just have one really big continuous gate for 20?

His answer.......better than changing the gate, just change the length of the race to "about a 1 1/4" and move it up 40 feet so that the gate is positioned on the straightaway, not on the bend, and the inside post has a chance to run straight and not run into the rail.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.