2019 Kentucky Derby

Mylute

Sat May 04, 2019 7:28 pm

We were inches away from a pileup that would've all but ended the sport but now there's gonna be an asterisk by Country House and Maximum Security every time their name is mentioned, every time the 2019 Derby is mentioned, an asterisk on the Wikipedia page, and we'll now be hearing about this forever.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Palace Malice

Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:24 pm
Country House's connections SAID ON LIVE TELEVISION that they weren't that impeded. And now somehow that makes them the winner?

I feel like I'm going to throw up. The best horse won here. I don't feel like history will look kindly on this event.

Racing needs a centralized governing body.
Yeah. :cry: Country House was almost no impacted at all. I think Long Range Toddy and War of Will (who was disqualified too wtf?) were the two most impacted. But like I said Maximum Security was clearly the best and would have won anyway.

This is so cringey ugh
Tessablue

It looks like he was placed behind War of Will. Code of Honor second, Tacitus third, Improbable 4th, Game Winner 5th.

I honestly don't think there was a "wrong" choice there, and I don't begrudge the stewards at all for having to make that decision. The public magnifying glass on this race may have influenced the decision, but perhaps that only made them more likely to act against the big-race bias that tends to push against DQ's.

Good god, watching the replay it looks like War of Will's legs were between Max Sec's. Absolute insanity.

I'm kind of surprised people are so upset- he cost several horses a placing (and almost ended the sport, but let's look past that). By the letter of the law, that means he comes down even if he was best. Bayern came to my mind as well too.

Are people booing the ceremony? No racing fans there or they wouldn't be booing Mott...
Horsebagger

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:26 pm
I don't have a problem with the DQ it's more an inconsistency of the DQ.

MS effects them all - CH, Code of Honor and WoW. I have seen stewards take a winner down entirely and move everyone up in this scenario. WTF.
I agree with you on the inconsistency. But that's a different conversation, imo.
Insane Crazy

Sat May 04, 2019 7:30 pm

I agree something wild happened, and horses were thrown off -- but I don't think it changes the results. Not like this, at least. I am livid.

It was terrifying. It was a big spook. Luis did everything in his power to straighten him out. Country House certainly wasn't going to win it. I just can't be comfortable with this final result.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 7:30 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Are people booing the ceremony? No racing fans there or they wouldn't be booing Mott...
Well, we all knew no one that cares about racing shows up to the Derby. I don't hate it -- I'm just shocked to all hell.

Mott ever the professional.
Izvestia

Sat May 04, 2019 7:31 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
How many people mad that Maximum Security was DQed are also mad that Bayern was not DQed? Question of the day for me
I still believe Bayern should be taken down.
These are top racehorses - if they cannot be in a race without causing serious trouble because they are green, they should not be in the race.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Kudos to Country House's jockey who was honest enough to say that he had any chance to get by Maximum Security but didn't and wasn't impeded.

IMO the outcome wouldn't have been any different (apart from maybe War Of Will finished like 4th or 5th instead of further back) if AS would have run straight as an arrow.

That's why this decision is just BS. DQ him if he cost War Of Will a 2nd or 3rd place, but not like that. #grmbl

I still call BS.

But I can't believe that people are booing Mott or the owners, think they are booing the stewards actually. I wouldn't take it too personally.
luvsgeldings

today, we don't have a horse who WON the Kentucky Derby. we have a horse who was GIVEN the Kentucky Derby.

if they want to start calling stuff now in the Derby, then how about calling fouls on all the crap that happens in the first turn.
Somnambulist

Horsebagger wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:

MS effects them all - CH, Code of Honor and WoW. I have seen stewards take a winner down entirely and move everyone up in this scenario. WTF.
I agree with you on the inconsistency. But that's a different conversation, imo.
They are not mutually exclusive my friend! But the inconsistency convo is more specific to us racing folks.
Horsebagger

Sat May 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Mylute wrote:
We were inches away from a pileup that would've all but ended the sport but now there's gonna be an asterisk by Country House and Maximum Security every time their name is mentioned, every time the 2019 Derby is mentioned, an asterisk on the Wikipedia page, and we'll now be hearing about this forever.
And? Your don't like asterisks?
Squeaky

Sat May 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Poor Bill Mott you never want to win this way. Still he is one of the really good guys in racing and deserves good fortune.
Squeaky

Sat May 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Omaha Beach would have won I think.
Kurenai
Site Admin

CoronadosQuest wrote:
How many people mad that Maximum Security was DQed are also mad that Bayern was not DQed? Question of the day for me
Bayerns stampede across the racetrack impeded the outcome of the race, this incident didn't. So Apples and Oranges IMO.
Horsebagger

Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:

They are not mutually exclusive my friend! But the inconsistency convo is more specific to us racing folks.
Probably true, but I saw a foul. That can't be denied by any educated opinion.
Mylute

Sat May 04, 2019 7:35 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Mylute wrote:
What I mean is, when in discussion, people will always have to go back and say, "Well, Max actually won", and then that'll start up a debate. And then, similar to how for the longest we had to mention that the Derby was sponsored by Yum! in every mention of the event's name, we'll have to say this.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Spahny

By the way, Game Winner was too far back and both he and Improbable finished well. It's never too late to start handicapping the Preakness.
sweettalk

Sat May 04, 2019 7:36 pm

isn't there usually a bumper cars game coming out of the gate/heading to the turn, every derby? is that analysed as well? (real question, no sarcasm)
Spahny

Sat May 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Mylute wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
Mylute wrote:
What I mean is, when in discussion, people will always have to go back and say, "Well, Max actually won", and then that'll start up a debate. And then, similar to how for the longest we had to mention that the Derby was sponsored by Yum! in every mention of the event's name, we'll have to say this.
Everybody here talks about wanting this sport to get more press. Well... Here you go.

It reminds me of the dq that didn't happen at the Belmont in 1998, only because the fouled horse got his nose down on the wire first.
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 7:41 pm

Mylute wrote:
I used to think this was the case, but it never really is. No one remembers what a sham of a career Zenyatta had.