Jockey/Trainer News - 2019

BaroqueAgain1

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 pm

OK, I started a 2019 thread for new stuff, like Darren Weir's suspension. :P ;)
Northport

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 pm

3 buzzers found in his home = 4 year ban :shock:

Not that I'm complaining, but Australia definitely doesn't mess around when it comes to investigations and bans. I'm kind of surprised that they were able to raid his home. Stables seems like one thing, but I don't think I've ever heard of a racing jurisdiction obtaining a warrant for a residence. But I will admit I haven't done a ton of research on raids/bans.

Also, he had around 600 horses in his care before the raids. That seems... bananas.
weeeeeeeee
barbaro111

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Northport wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 pm
3 buzzers found in his home = 4 year ban :shock:

Not that I'm complaining, but Australia definitely doesn't mess around when it comes to investigations and bans. I'm kind of surprised that they were able to raid his home. Stables seems like one thing, but I don't think I've ever heard of a racing jurisdiction obtaining a warrant for a residence. But I will admit I haven't done a ton of research on raids/bans.

Also, he had around 600 horses in his care before the raids. That seems... bananas.
what an idiot
Sparrow Castle

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Gary Stevens to join FOX Sports as on-air analyst
Broadcast team to include Laffit Pincay III and Jonathon Kinchen

The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) and FOX Sports today announced that Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens will join the FOX Sports / NYRA Live shows as a racing analyst, making his debut on FOX Sports Saturday At The Races this spring.
https://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/news/gary ... ir-analyst
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:19 pm

Espinoza gets first win back aboard St. Joe Bay in San Carlos
The first horse jockey Victor Espinoza worked when he returned to the track earlier this year at Santa Anita was the veteran 7-year-old gelding St. Joe Bay. So it was entirely appropriate that when Espinoza finally got back to the winner’s circle for the first time since July, since an awful morning-training accident at Del Mar that nearly ended his career, it was with the hard-knocking St. Joe Bay, who scored a 15-1 upset in the Grade 2, $200,702 San Carlos Stakes on Saturday.

There were many difficult moments along the way for Espinoza, who had to undergo extensive rehabilitation to even regain a livable range of motion, let alone climb aboard a half-ton animal going 35 miles per hour. And then in early March, after just two mounts, he had to put his comeback on hold anew owing to the suspension of racing at Santa Anita.

“It’s exciting, to be in the winner’s circle,” Espinoza said after receiving a heartfelt chorus of cheers from the crowd when track announcer Frank Mirahmadi said, “Let’s hear it for Victor Espinoza, everyone” when he arrived at the winner’s circle.

“I was happy to be back riding, working horses, but there’s nothing like winning, especially a big race,” Espinoza said. “It puts you at a different level, mentally and physically. There have been a lot of ups and downs, not knowing if I would ride again.”

St. Joe Bay took the lead in the opening quarter of the seven-furlong race and never looked back. He set fractions of 22.45 seconds for the opening quarter, 45.22 for the half, and six furlongs in 1:10.41 en route to a final time of 1:24.06 on the fast main track. He finished three lengths in front of runner-up Dr. Dorr.

Kanthaka was another 1 1/4 lengths back in third, then came, in order, Solid Wager, Ax Man, Zatter, and Touching Rainbows.
More: https://www.drf.com/news/preview/espino ... track-news
stark

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Jay Privman
‏@DRFPrivman

Depending on what happens next week with Omaha Beach & Improbable, Mike Smith (Roadster/Omaha Beach) and @jose93_ortiz (Tacitus/Improbable) are going to have some very difficult Derby decisions to make, and some riders are going to have some potentially top-flight pick-up mounts
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:16 pm

stark

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:20 pm

from DRF....

ARCADIA, Calif. – Trainer William Morey, who has not started any horses since March 29 after an apparent medication violation at Santa Anita that day, has dispersed his Santa Anita-based runners, with some going to other trainers here and others shipped off the property.

Morey last had runners on March 29 at Golden Gate Fields. He was forced to scratch three runners at Santa Anita that day approximately 30 minutes before post time for the first race for what stewards said was a medication violation. The stewards have not provides further information, and Morey has not returned repeated phone calls or text messages in the last week. Three other horses trained by Morey were scratched on March 30-31.

The California Horse Racing Board has launched an investigation into the withdrawal of those horses, according to a person familiar with the situation. Santa Anita officials have declined to comment on Morey’s status.
stark

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:15 am

Interview on SoCal radio show with Richard Mandella coming up at 9am pacific time this morning.

Catch it live....

http://klaa.streamguys1.com/live-aac
stark

Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 pm

stark wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:15 am
Interview on SoCal radio show with Richard Mandella coming up at 9am pacific time this morning.

Catch it live....

http://klaa.streamguys1.com/live-aac
Said that Omaha will not return to California, but rather ship directly to Churchill on Tuesday. He will then fly there the entire week leading up to Derby day.
luvsgeldings

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:05 pm

thanks for that Stark! I missed the SoCal morning TB radio shows today - but very glad to hear Omaha is not coming back here before the Derby - great that he heads right to KY - Mandella is right - wishing them the best at Churchill - and dearly hoping they get the big win!!
stark

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:34 pm

Jose Santos Jr.
‏@joesantos_33

Update on Tyler Baze’s upcoming schedule. He will ride @OaklawnRacing until April 19th. Tyler will be @santaanitapark April 20th and 21st. He will arrive in Ky April 25th for the last two data of @keeneland and then will begin riding full time @ChurchillDowns starting opening day
Sparrow Castle

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Yep, one down and many more to go...and not just in CA.

Jeremy Balan @jeremybalan
27m27 minutes ago
For those curious about what happened to Billy Morey... the CHRB just sent this out.
lurkey mclurker

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:23 pm

homan @hcm0501
2h 2 hours ago

@christo68914587 gets 996 wins in JRA...4 wins to 1000 wins. He will be the first foreign jockeys to get 1000 wins in JRA. He gets 17 rides in the coming weekend!
#KEIBA
Christophe Lemaire is 4 wins away from 1000 JRA victories. 8-)
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Nice article. Curtis, Looks like Alert Bay may be racing again later this year.

Hovdey: Wright finds comfort in jewel of the Northwest
Blaine Wright could have been forgiven if his mind had been 2,000 miles away in Kentucky, where his headline horse, Anothertwistafate, was in peaceful repose at Churchill Downs.

The second-generation Washington trainer and his 3-year-old son of Scat Daddy have made a mark this season by defying the usual lowered expectations that come with horses emerging from Northern California. “Twist,” as he is mercifully called for those of us counting keystrokes, parlayed a one-sided score in the El Camino Real Derby over the synthetic surface at Golden Gate Fields into a close second in New Mexico’s Sunland Derby and a troubled second in the Lexington last weekend at Keeneland.

Being as the Sunland Derby and Lexington were both Grade 3 events, affording chump change in terms of Kentucky Derby entry points to all but the winners, Twist is on the outside looking in. If this bothers Wright, who trains Anothertwistafate for Peter Redekop, he is hiding it well. It helps to have a guaranteed berth in the Preakness, courtesy of a Stronach Group promotion between the company’s Golden Gate and Pimlico properties.

“He’s traveled a long ways and run his butt off,” Wright said. “Maybe we’ll go in the Derby if we get in. We’ll let him dictate the terms. We do feel blessed to be able to run in the Preakness should he take us there.”
More: [url]https://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-wright- ... -northwest[/url
Curtis

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:

Blaine Wright could have been forgiven if his mind had been 2,000 miles away in Kentucky, where his headline horse, Anothertwistafate, was in peaceful repose at Churchill Downs.

The second-generation Washington trainer and his 3-year-old son of Scat Daddy have made a mark this season by defying the usual lowered expectations that come with horses emerging from Northern California. “Twist,” as he is mercifully called for those of us counting keystrokes, parlayed a one-sided score in the El Camino Real Derby over the synthetic surface at Golden Gate Fields into a close second in New Mexico’s Sunland Derby and a troubled second in the Lexington last weekend at Keeneland.

Being as the Sunland Derby and Lexington were both Grade 3 events, affording chump change in terms of Kentucky Derby entry points to all but the winners, Twist is on the outside looking in. If this bothers Wright, who trains Anothertwistafate for Peter Redekop, he is hiding it well. It helps to have a guaranteed berth in the Preakness, courtesy of a Stronach Group promotion between the company’s Golden Gate and Pimlico properties.

“He’s traveled a long ways and run his butt off,” Wright said. “Maybe we’ll go in the Derby if we get in. We’ll let him dictate the terms. We do feel blessed to be able to run in the Preakness should he take us there.”
That’s great! That old injury Blaine is speaking of is most likely the suspensory that kept Alert Bay out of the Mile in 2017. Blaine will take care of him, I’m sure he’ll only run him if he doesn’t have to drop him.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Paco Lopez Suspended 60 Racing Days For ‘Continuous Careless Riding’
Jockey Paco Lopez has been suspended 60 racing days for what Gulfstream Park steward Stephen DiMauro called “continuous careless riding” in Sunday's 11th race at the Hallandale Beach, Fla., track aboard Itsmyluckycharm for trainer Edward J. Plesa Jr. Itsmyluckycharm finished first by 1 1/2 lengths as the even-money favorite in the 7 1/2-furlong turf contest but was disqualified and placed 10th for interference.
The suspension comes just over two months after Lopez received a 30-day ban for his role in a Jan. 31 spill that injured two riders, Romero Maragh and Carlos Montalvo. Maragh underwent spinal surgery as a result of the Jan. 31 incident and Montalvo suffered an ankle fracture. Both jockeys remain sidelined.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... ss-riding/

IMHO, a jockey who is so repeatedly reckless is a danger on the track, to others and himself. Maybe he would learn some needed caution if he were suspended until the jockeys whose serious injuries he caused return to riding. :evil:
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Curtis wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:13 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:

That’s great! That old injury Blaine is speaking of is most likely the suspensory that kept Alert Bay out of the Mile in 2017. Blaine will take care of him, I’m sure he’ll only run him if he doesn’t have to drop him.
Yep. Allowance or stakes races only. Fingers crossed.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Cohen Hit With 60 Days for ‘Deliberately’ Whipping Rival Jock
Allegations of intentionally whipping a rival jockey during a race have resulted in a 60-day suspension for David Cohen, who entered Friday’s racing second in both wins and earnings at Oaklawn Park.

According to the Oaklawn stewards, Cohen’s close-quarters whipping in the stretch run of the eighth race on Apr. 6 allegedly caused four welts on the right thigh of jockey Edgar Morales.

Cohen, at a stewards’ hearing, testified that he “would not deliberately hit another jockey with his riding crop/whip and that if it happened it was accidental,” according to Arkansas Racing Commission ruling 2019-OP-42.

But the stewards ruled otherwise, citing “credible evidence” that Cohen’s whipping was intentional based on testimony from two jockeys and a valet who witnessed Morales confronting Cohen in the jockeys’ room about it after the race.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/co ... ival-jock/
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Hovdey: Martine Bellocq embodies sacrifice and survival
There was no arguing with the animal rights protesters who flooded the California Horse Racing Board meeting on Thursday with their impassioned recitation of undeniably grim statistics. From their point of view, the business itself is terminally flawed, and no amount of anecdotal testimony to the contrary would convince them otherwise.

To them – as opposed to us – Thoroughbred racing is replete with casual sadists and greedy entrepreneurs whose callous disregard for the well-being of its captive horses belies any sob stories of dedication to the health and welfare of the animals. “Set them free” is their mantra. Relegate them to the wilds of unspecified sanctuaries. Race drones or small children if you must. But leave the horses be.

I suppose it does horse racing some good to have its dirtiest laundry waved in public for the uncurious to contemplate. Many of racing’s leaders have decided that an overlay of new rules and regulations will inoculate the sport against the damage inflicted by its most blatant offenses.

There lingers, though, like a bitter taste, the suggestion by protesters that the connection between the humans and horses of the racing world is not, in fact, symbiotic. That the horses are inherently treated as product, not partners. And that the last thing anyone would do would be to sacrifice life and limb in a selfless attempt to rescue a Thoroughbred from a terrible fate.

In my wildest dreams, while listening to the audio feed of the CHRB meeting and its denigration of all things racing, I imagined chairman Chuck Winner producing a speaker’s request card and calling out the name, “Martine Bellocq.”
More: https://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-martine ... d-survival