2019 Dubai World Cup Carnival

Somnambulist

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:59 am

Only a few minutes until your next Derby underlay.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:01 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:59 am
Only a few minutes until your next Derby underlay.
Let's go, Stubbins.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Blame
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:12 am

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:22 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:59 am
Only a few minutes until your next Derby underlay.
I disagree. I think he may actually be a value play. Plus Que Parfait has a very good chance to win the Derby. He likes Churchill Downs and he will run 10f easily. Congratulations to Brendan Walsh and Conor Foley.
Somnambulist

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:26 am

Blame wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:22 am
Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:59 am
Only a few minutes until your next Derby underlay.
I disagree. I think he may actually be a value play. Plus Que Parfait has a very good chance to win the Derby. He likes Churchill Downs and he will run 10f easily. Congratulations to Brendan Walsh and Conor Foley.
I truly don't remember the Churchill race at this point but since when is not winning considering liking?

He will probably run 10f all day. I hear that the UAE Derby winner has a chance every year and every year they do not, so I will remain skeptical.

I always forget they play nothing but electronic music at this event. Meanwhile, the Preakness announces Kygo for the infield and every rails the decision.
luvsgeldings
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:39 am

that Derby winner.... you guys are smarter than I am about this stuff - does that final time mean anything? I don't know how that track in Dubai is playing today - but it was a slow time for the distance I think. again, I am probably wrong though.
Somnambulist

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:44 am

luvsgeldings wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:39 am
that Derby winner.... you guys are smarter than I am about this stuff - does that final time mean anything? I don't know how that track in Dubai is playing today - but it was a slow time for the distance I think. again, I am probably wrong though.
Don't say that. No one is is smarter than anyone. But I truly have no clue. I watch this track once a year and the lack of fractions still throws me off.

Yay for X Y Jet! :D
barbaro111
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:51 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:44 am
luvsgeldings wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:39 am
that Derby winner.... you guys are smarter than I am about this stuff - does that final time mean anything? I don't know how that track in Dubai is playing today - but it was a slow time for the distance I think. again, I am probably wrong though.
Don't say that. No one is is smarter than anyone. But I truly have no clue. I watch this track once a year and the lack of fractions still throws me off.

Yay for X Y Jet! :D


XY Jet is one gorgeous horse!!!!!!

I wish Promises Fulfilled had done better- I absolutely love his name
User avatar
Blame
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:12 am

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:00 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:26 am
Blame wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:22 am
Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:59 am
Only a few minutes until your next Derby underlay.
I disagree. I think he may actually be a value play. Plus Que Parfait has a very good chance to win the Derby. He likes Churchill Downs and he will run 10f easily. Congratulations to Brendan Walsh and Conor Foley.
I truly don't remember the Churchill race at this point but since when is not winning considering liking?

He will probably run 10f all day. I hear that the UAE Derby winner has a chance every year and every year they do not, so I will remain skeptical.

I always forget they play nothing but electronic music at this event. Meanwhile, the Preakness announces Kygo for the infield and every rails the decision.
He lost a G2 at Churchill by a neck and was gaining late. That means he likes the track, especially when you look at his other efforts. Not saying he will win, but I will not be surprised if he does.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:01 am

Of course this will be an unpopular opinion because "UAE Derby winners never do anything" but PQP is different from the others because he is a US-based horse that is already dirt GSP over here, instead of one coming from Japan or being a turf horse that just tried the UAE Derby.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Izvestia
Posts: 4060
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:02 am

luvsgeldings wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:39 am
that Derby winner.... you guys are smarter than I am about this stuff - does that final time mean anything? I don't know how that track in Dubai is playing today - but it was a slow time for the distance I think. again, I am probably wrong though.
It’s never fast there. Hard to gauge the times there.

Side note - Woohoo! for Point if Entry 🙂
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:04 am

Izvestia wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:02 am
luvsgeldings wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:39 am
that Derby winner.... you guys are smarter than I am about this stuff - does that final time mean anything? I don't know how that track in Dubai is playing today - but it was a slow time for the distance I think. again, I am probably wrong though.
It’s never fast there. Hard to gauge the times there.

Side note - Woohoo! for Point if Entry 🙂
Dynaformer lives on.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Somnambulist

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:05 am

Mylute wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:01 am
Of course this will be an unpopular opinion because "UAE Derby winners never do anything" but PQP is different from the others because he is a US-based horse that is already dirt GSP over here, instead of one coming from Japan or being a turf horse that just tried the UAE Derby.
Why would it be unpopular? I don't get internet passive aggressive. It's your opinion and that's fine.

I don't see much in his record here that indicates he can win but it's really open this year so you never know. Maybe he just really didn't like FG. New Orleans is not my favorite so I can get that.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:18 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:05 am
Mylute wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:01 am
Of course this will be an unpopular opinion because "UAE Derby winners never do anything" but PQP is different from the others because he is a US-based horse that is already dirt GSP over here, instead of one coming from Japan or being a turf horse that just tried the UAE Derby.
Why would it be unpopular? I don't get internet passive aggressive. It's your opinion and that's fine.

I don't see much in his record here that indicates he can win but it's really open this year so you never know. Maybe he just really didn't like FG. New Orleans is not my favorite so I can get that.
I said that because typically whenever I see someone defend the UAE Derby winner online, in any way, there's almost always a slough of people discounting the person because the UAE Derby winner "never does anything" or "they get touted every year and never come through" no matter what they said specifically. I didn't intend to sound passive aggressive.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
thinair
Posts: 1770
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:18 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:05 am
Mylute wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:01 am
Of course this will be an unpopular opinion because "UAE Derby winners never do anything" but PQP is different from the others because he is a US-based horse that is already dirt GSP over here, instead of one coming from Japan or being a turf horse that just tried the UAE Derby.
Why would it be unpopular? I don't get internet passive aggressive. It's your opinion and that's fine.

I don't see much in his record here that indicates he can win but it's really open this year so you never know. Maybe he just really didn't like FG. New Orleans is not my favorite so I can get that.
He's also never run a particularly good race, and coming to KY from Dubai in five weeks seems like a pretty tough mountain to climb. Your initial thoughts were correct. He has next to no chance to win the KY Derby.

Great move by the connections winning a $2.5 million race with a total mediocrity. No shame in that. However, he will be 40:1 in the Derby, and likely should be higher.
luvsgeldings
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:20 am

I am so happy for that horse.... X Y Jet - he is a beauty - always love seeing one of the older guys win a big race. good for him!!! also, that Imperial Hint is just so adorable - he tried - glad he got a 3rd - looking at him run, compared to those other horses, he is just so little. love him.

and thanks Som.... -- yeah those times at Meydan, I don't think I will pay any more attention to them.

I am really looking forward to the World Cup later. I have a soft spot for Thunder Snow. but I would also like to see Pavel do well too. there are actually several in this race that I would be really happy to see win the thing.
User avatar
CoronadosQuest
Posts: 1635
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:23 am

Almond Eye is quite the filly!
barbaro111
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:25 am

CoronadosQuest wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:23 am
Almond Eye is quite the filly!
She is awesome!!!!!
User avatar
Dusty
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Contact:

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:30 am

CoronadosQuest wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:23 am
Almond Eye is quite the filly!
Impressive -
May they run with the WIND
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:30 am

Almond Eye!!!

Image
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Old Persian wins the Sheema Classic over a game Cheval Grand and Suave Richard.

Magic Wand was back in fourth, with Hunting Horn (I think) behind her.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Post Reply