In Memoriam 2014

serenassong

Wed May 28, 2014 8:46 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Bless the broodmares, who put their lives on the line every time they foal. Condolences to Jay Em Ess for all their losses.
Indeed, and does it seems like we are losing a lot more this year to foaling complications?

BTW- in case anyone is looking for an update on STADTPARK- release from pain- from the CHRB steward minutes:

"In the fourth race, the #4 STADTPARK went wrong inside the 3/16 pole. Jockey Iggy Pugisi almost had his mount pulled up and #2 TIZBUDSFORMENLIMO, ridden by jockey Kayla Stra, ran into the hind end of #4 STADTPARK near the 1/16 marker; this unseated Mr. Puglisi. The Paramedics were on scene immediately and transported Mr. Puglisi to First Aid for evaluation by the track physician.
Jockey/Driver condition – After examination by the track physician, Mr. Puglisi was released and
he returned to the jockey quarters.
Horse condition – Vanned off track; evaluated by trainer Aguirre’s practicing veterinarian; euthanized.
Fractured left front sesamoid."

R. I. P.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Catalina

Wed May 28, 2014 10:44 am

serenassong wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Bless the broodmares, who put their lives on the line every time they foal. Condolences to Jay Em Ess for all their losses.
Indeed, and does it seems like we are losing a lot more this year to foaling complications?

BTW- in case anyone is looking for an update on STADTPARK- release from pain- from the CHRB steward minutes:

"In the fourth race, the #4 STADTPARK went wrong inside the 3/16 pole. Jockey Iggy Pugisi almost had his mount pulled up and #2 TIZBUDSFORMENLIMO, ridden by jockey Kayla Stra, ran into the hind end of #4 STADTPARK near the 1/16 marker; this unseated Mr. Puglisi. The Paramedics were on scene immediately and transported Mr. Puglisi to First Aid for evaluation by the track physician.
Jockey/Driver condition – After examination by the track physician, Mr. Puglisi was released and
Horse condition – Vanned off track; evaluated by trainer Aguirre’s practicing veterinarian; euthanized.

R. I. P.
How does this work? If it's found to be Stra's error, does she get days or anything? Or does it get written off to these things happen and who knows whose fault it was?
serenassong

Wed May 28, 2014 11:52 am

Catalina wrote:
serenassong wrote:

R. I. P.
How does this work? If it's found to be Stra's error, does she get days or anything? Or does it get written off to these things happen and who knows whose fault it was?
Ah, in reading the rest of the stewards report, she was given days. Will post that below- should have included that.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
serenassong

Wed May 28, 2014 11:56 am

From CHRB Steward Minutes:

"05/24/145 RULING – LATS #191 – Refer 5/22/143
Jockey KAYLA STRA, who rode TIZBUDSFORMENLIMO in the
fourth race on May 22, 2014, is suspended for FIVE (5) racing days
(May 30, 31, June 1, 5, and 6, 2014) for violation of California Horse
Racing Board rule #1699 (Riding Rules – careless riding).
The term of suspension shall not prohibit participation in designated races pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1766 (Designated Races).
This ruling was issued after Ms. Stra, accompanied by two supporters, viewed the fourth race from 05/22/14, during which she was the catalyst to a two-horse spill in the stretch. Ms. Stra said that she did not expect jockey Puglisi’s horse to break down and when she realized what was happening it was too late to take evasive action. Prior to Ms. Stra viewing video, the Stewards reviewed the incident and calculated that six and one-half seconds elapsed from the time Puglisi’s mount went wrong until the time Ms. Stra reacted to the situation. Additionally, her mount took thirteen strides and was struck six times with the whip during the time Puglisi was attempting to pull up the injured horse."

I found that last sentence a bit disturbing. From what I have seen of her in the past, this was a surprise.
Catalina

Wed May 28, 2014 12:26 pm

serenassong wrote:From CHRB Steward Minutes:

"05/24/145 RULING – LATS #191 – Refer 5/22/143
Jockey KAYLA STRA, who rode TIZBUDSFORMENLIMO in the
fourth race on May 22, 2014, is suspended for FIVE (5) racing days
(May 30, 31, June 1, 5, and 6, 2014) for violation of California Horse
Racing Board rule #1699 (Riding Rules – careless riding).
The term of suspension shall not prohibit participation in designated races pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1766 (Designated Races).
This ruling was issued after Ms. Stra, accompanied by two supporters, viewed the fourth race from 05/22/14, during which she was the catalyst to a two-horse spill in the stretch. Ms. Stra said that she did not expect jockey Puglisi’s horse to break down and when she realized what was happening it was too late to take evasive action. Prior to Ms. Stra viewing video, the Stewards reviewed the incident and calculated that six and one-half seconds elapsed from the time Puglisi’s mount went wrong until the time Ms. Stra reacted to the situation. Additionally, her mount took thirteen strides and was struck six times with the whip during the time Puglisi was attempting to pull up the injured horse."

I found that last sentence a bit disturbing. From what I have seen of her in the past, this was a surprise.
Yes, very disturbing.
serenassong

Thu May 29, 2014 1:38 pm

From the Golden Gate minutes, not sure if this one was mentioned or not

VETERINARY REPORT
Euthanized/Died – 05-15-14 Bold Fashion (Tr. Greg James) – fell during training turning to gallop and ambulanced off track; euthanized at barn 4-5 hours later: Ataxic; GGF- training

R. I. P.
second_glance

Thu May 29, 2014 2:29 pm

From Remember Me Rescue:

We are devastated to have to tell you all that one of our RMR alumni, Conquer's Luge aka Luigi was euthanized last night due to an unrecoverable colic. Luigi competed in our first Battle of the X's with Ellen Doughty-Hume. He also competed at this year's All TB Show with his girl Brooke! Prayers and hugs to his mom Dena and his girl Brooke. They are heartbroken
second_glance

Thu May 29, 2014 2:30 pm

A horse broke down in training at BEL this morning and was euthanized on the track. To the best of my knowledge, a name has not been released.
serenassong

Thu May 29, 2014 2:48 pm

second_glance wrote:A horse broke down in training at BEL this morning and was euthanized on the track. To the best of my knowledge, a name has not been released.
From Deborah Jones FB page
"4 yr old Irish colt "Kingston Jamaica" broke down both fronts and euthanized this morning at Belmont Park. "Kingston Jamaica" started race career in Ireland. Sold at FTKHRA 2013 sale for $305 for racing in US. Trainer Todd Pletcher. Lifetime earnings $28,175 from 8, 1, 1, 2. I understand rider is OK."

R. I. P.
second_glance

Thu May 29, 2014 3:28 pm

^^ Thanks for the information.
baitandswitch

Thu May 29, 2014 4:54 pm

The breakdowns just keep coming at Belmont. SMH.
second_glance

Fri May 30, 2014 11:52 am

Cross-posted. 12yo Noble Causeway, sire of Samraat et al., due to rapidly deteriorating laminitis.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... mraat-dies
TapitsGal

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:32 pm

did anyone ever mention the 2013 death of Docs Keepin Time?the black QH who played both Black Beauty and The Black?it saddens me that the two main equine actors of Black Beauty and The Horse Whisperer are now gone(RIP Doc and Hightower)
horsefan

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra ... t7DaysNews

Group 1-winning trainer John Hills dies aged 53
TapitsGal

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:02 am

Florida champion and broodmare sire of Turallure, Wekiva Springs is gone.euthanized at 22 due to cancerous melanomas..RIP Gorgeous boy

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... euthanized
second_glance

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Michael Wrona @Michael_Wrona · 22m
R9 @GGFracing: Tebows Big Play (Pedro Terrero) went wrong at 1/16-pole; Adriatic Son (Frank Alvarado) unable to avoid. TBP euthanized; AS OK

Both jockeys taken to hospital. Alert and conscious, but being kept for observation.
AlBowman

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:03 pm

6/8 - two deaths at Parx

Race 5 - Lobo Del Norte - clipped heels, fell, euthanized
Race 7 - X Country Girl - broke down, euthanized

RIP
serenassong

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:34 pm

I check the NY database every once in awhile to see what is going on-

This is so sad, died on the way to the test barn, DNF last race- lost contact with the field- so something was amiss.

Horse: Lemon Sundae
Incident: EQUINE DEATH
Racing Type: Thoroughbred
Location/Type: Finger Lakes Gaming & Racetrack, Finger Lakes; Racing
Date: 06/07/2014
Trainer: JOSEPH E. MARINO
Jockey/Driver: JOSE A. BAEZ
Weather:
Lemon Sundae - Tr Joe Marino / died enroute to test barn following 1st race

R. I. P.
WarBiscuit

Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:13 pm

serenassong wrote:I check the NY database every once in awhile to see what is going on-

This is so sad, died on the way to the test barn, DNF last race- lost contact with the field- so something was amiss.

Horse: Lemon Sundae
Incident: EQUINE DEATH
Racing Type: Thoroughbred
Location/Type: Finger Lakes Gaming & Racetrack, Finger Lakes; Racing
Date: 06/07/2014
Trainer: JOSEPH E. MARINO
Jockey/Driver: JOSE A. BAEZ
Weather:
Lemon Sundae - Tr Joe Marino / died enroute to test barn following 1st race

R. I. P.
Sounds like her heart just gave out. Began her career with Tom Albertrani - they had high hopes for her once upon a time...

RIP Lemon Sundae.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
AlBowman

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 pm

6/10 at Parx - Gulf of Aden, collapsed after the race and died.

RIP