In Memoriam 2014

BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Sad news, indeed. Drug resistant bacteria are a threat to animals as well as humans.
The Racing Post article:
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra ... t7DaysNews
Catalina

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Such a superb filly. It's so heartbreaking when they get ill and nothing you try works to heal them. RIP Chriselliam. We had hoped to see you race for years yet.
tachyon

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:08 am

tachyon wrote:Diamond Biko(JPN), 1998M. Sunday Silence(USA) x Stella Madrid(USA), died of colic on Jan 29th, after she gave birth to her King Kamehameha colt on Jan 26th.
Diamond Biko was the champion older filly in 2002.

May she rest in peace.
RIP Diamond Biko
Dusty

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:34 am

tachyon wrote:
tachyon wrote:Diamond Biko(JPN), 1998M. Sunday Silence(USA) x Stella Madrid(USA), died of colic on Jan 29th, after she gave birth to her King Kamehameha colt on Jan 26th.
Diamond Biko was the champion older filly in 2002.

May she rest in peace.
RIP Diamond Biko
Condolences AND TEARS RIP so very sad
May they run with the WIND
tres borrachos

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:43 am

OMG what a lovely picture, very moving. Such a tribute. RIP Diamond Biko :cry:
Le Beau Bai

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:04 pm

From GGF minutes

01-31-14 Budding Affair (Tr. Steve Miyadi) flipped on wash rack- hit head
and bled out nostrils; trainer barn area
02-01-14 Charlie Company (Tr.William J. Morey Jr.) worked 5/8s rider led
horse off track back to barn where horse collapsed and died; barn area
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Recall Dynaformer suffered a catastrophic breakdown in the 4th at Gulfstream. Barley Twist and Jeremy's Song fell over him, but appear to have escaped serious injury.
WarBiscuit

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Recall Dynaformer suffered a catastrophic breakdown in the 4th at Gulfstream. Barley Twist and Jeremy's Song fell over him, but appear to have escaped serious injury.
A Roger Attfield horse - makes it even tougher to swallow...

RIP Recall Dynaformer

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:56 pm

How are the jocks? Last I heard Larry Collmus say was that all three were being attended to on the course. I think Emma-Jayne Wilson was on one of the fallers -- not the Attfield horse, though.
Catalina

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:51 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Recall Dynaformer suffered a catastrophic breakdown in the 4th at Gulfstream. Barley Twist and Jeremy's Song fell over him, but appear to have escaped serious injury.
A Roger Attfield horse - makes it even tougher to swallow...

RIP Recall Dynaformer

WarBiscuit
Not sure I understand the bolded comment above. Recall Dynaformer was a 3YO, on his third start ever - with all three starts since January 1, plus additionally two 5F works also since January 1. Seems a bit excessive maybe?
luvthesales

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Catalina wrote:
WarBiscuit wrote: Not sure I understand the bolded comment above. Recall Dynaformer was a 3YO, on his third start ever - with all three starts since January 1, plus additionally two 5F works also since January 1. Seems a bit excessive maybe?
Roger would never, ever, EVER do anything but what he thought was best for a horse. He is careful to a fault, and truly loves his charges. I know the trainer, and I knew the horse. Please, it hurts enough to lose one. Reading something like this comment is almost too much to bear.
ThreeMustangs

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:51 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:How are the jocks? Last I heard Larry Collmus say was that all three were being attended to on the course. I think Emma-Jayne Wilson was on one of the fallers -- not the Attfield horse, though.
Emma-Jayne Wilson ‏@EJWilson81 5m
Thanks for all the well wishes! I have been discharged and all is well... A bit banged up, but a few days rest will help!
bean

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Not a very good Year of the Horse I must admit :(
bean

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:14 pm

Did not see it posted, so figured I would post it.

Domasca Dan put down

http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/Wo ... e9c2f47c65
Catalina

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:01 pm

luvthesales wrote:
Catalina wrote:
WarBiscuit wrote: Not sure I understand the bolded comment above. Recall Dynaformer was a 3YO, on his third start ever - with all three starts since January 1, plus additionally two 5F works also since January 1. Seems a bit excessive maybe?
Roger would never, ever, EVER do anything but what he thought was best for a horse. He is careful to a fault, and truly loves his charges. I know the trainer, and I knew the horse. Please, it hurts enough to lose one. Reading something like this comment is almost too much to bear.
I am very, very sorry the horse broke down. But I think I am asking a legitimate question, that I had hoped to get some feedback on from the other long-time posters on this forum.
sweettalk

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:18 pm

Catalina wrote: I am very, very sorry the horse broke down. But I think I am asking a legitimate question, that I had hoped to get some feedback on from the other long-time posters on this forum.
i think it depends on the horse. some, like ghostzapper, were not physically "together" enough to handle frequent races. then you have horses like caixa who in 4 of his 7 racing years ran over ten times with no issues.

this horse only had 3 lifetime so i'm not in a position to say anything about him *shrug*
second_glance

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:16 am

Our Mims lost Taba Dance today. The cause was a sudden onset of very severe laminitis. She was 26.

Jeanne Mirabito, Farm Owner and OMRH Founder and President, remarked: "Taba Dance was one of a kind.She delighted in splashing in puddles and wallowing in mud. She could keep the most experienced horse person circling the pasture for quite some time avoiding being caught but let a child call out her name and that big mare would drop her head, nose almost dragging the ground for the child to lead her with ease.
She will be missed."
harvestmoon

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:04 am

Catalina wrote:
luvthesales wrote:
I am very, very sorry the horse broke down. But I think I am asking a legitimate question, that I had hoped to get some feedback on from the other long-time posters on this forum.
And you got some feedback - straight from the horse's mouth. And, not that it matters, but Luv *is* a long-time poster here; this is just her first post since the forum switched to the new format.
Izvestia

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:13 am

Attfield is a Hall of Fame trainer, who does right by his horses, and like luv said, he'd never run a horse if he thought something like that would happen. Pretty sad day at their barn, I am sure. RIP
second_glance

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:50 am

Lost in a barn fire at a vet clinic in central Kentucky:

Excedent (Exceller)
Seahawk Gold, son of Excedent & stakes winner, later show horse
Excedere, also o/o Excedent, show horse
Warm Courage, ottb hunter-jumper

And yearlings by Mizzen Mast, Successful Appeal, Pure Prize, and Proud Citizen.

Condolences to the devastated owners.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -barn-fire