In Memoriam 2019

BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 01, 2019 3:11 pm

Melbourne Cup Winner Dunaden Dies At 13
Three-time international Group 1 winner, Dunaden, best known for his victory in Australia's most famous race, the G1 Melbourne Cup, died at Overbury Stud in England yesterday due to complications following a paddock accident.
Purchased privately as a 4-year-old by David Redvers on behalf of Sheikh Fahad's Pearl Bloodstock in 2010, Dunaden would go on to win multiple top-level prizes, including the Melbourne Cup in 2011. Other career highlights included winning his next start, the G1 Hong Kong Vase and then, on his return to Australia in 2012 a historic win in the G1 Caulfield Cup.
During seven seasons of racing, Dunaden ran 46 times, winning ten races and placed a further 19 times.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... ies-at-13/
Sparrow Castle

Wed May 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Sounds like Dunaden's paddock accident was the same day they had to put down Just The Judge. Deepest sympathy for Sheikh Fahad and all who worked with these horses.

Redvers hails 'one of the family' as Melbourne Cup hero Dunaden dies aged 13
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... -13/378601
genuinerizk

Wed May 01, 2019 9:15 pm

Breakin the Fever clipped heels and fell today in race 7 at Thistledown. His record looked like he was a hard knocking horse. Rip.
peeptoad

Thu May 02, 2019 1:47 pm

genuinerizk wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:15 pm
Breakin the Fever clipped heels and fell today in race 7 at Thistledown. His record looked like he was a hard knocking horse. Rip.
Very sorry to see this. May he RIP. Followed him for the last 4-5 years. He won a tough "down state " renewal of a NY sprint stake a few year ago. Definitely a hard-knocker.
Mylute

Tue May 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Chilean Champ, Old Friends Resident Santona Euthanized
Bred in Chile by Haras Santa Isabel, Santona (Winning - Syracuse, by Sharp-Eyed Quillo) won the Grade 1 Las Oaks at Club Hipico De Santiago in 1997. That year she was named Champion grass mare in Chile, and was then brought to the United States in 1998 by owner-breeder Earle I. Mack.

Her colt by Grand Slam, Grand Hombre, won the Pennsylvania Derby in 2003 and earned over $900,000.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... euthanized
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
FlyToTheStars

Fri May 10, 2019 12:23 pm

This actually belongs to 2018.. Take Charge Lady
Sparrow Castle

Fri May 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Obituary: Retired trainer Don Warren
Don Warren, who trained the champion Acclamation and had a California stable for decades, died early Thursday of kidney failure, Santa Anita announced on Friday.

Warren was 67 and had been in declining health in recent years, which led to his retirement from training in the summer of 2015.

"He had been taking pain medication for a degenerative back disease, which caused his kidneys to shut down," Rhonda Schiewe, Warren's sister, told Santa Anita publicity.

Born in Covina, Calif., Warren began working in the stables in 1969 and began working for Old English Rancho as an exercise rider in 1970. Warren began training for Old English Rancho in 1974 and worked for the prominent California farm for the next 40 years, until his retirement.

Warren won his first stakes at Turf Paradise in 1977 and his first six-figure race in the 1984 Valkyr Handicap at Hollywood Park.

Acclamation was by far Warren's finest runner, a winner of 11 of 30 starts and $1,958,048. Acclamation, owned by Old English Rancho, won his last seven starts and won six Grade 1 races, including the 2011 Pacific Classic at Del Mar and consecutive runnings of the Eddie Read Stakes at Del Mar in 2011 and 2012 and three straight runnings of the Grade 1 Charles Whittingham Stakes at Hollywood Park from 2010 to 2012.

Survivors include his wife, Patty, daughters Amanda, Jennifer and Diana, and a brother - the retired jockey Ron Warren, Jr.

Funeral services are pending.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/48001-obitu ... don-warren
Sparrow Castle

Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Noble Cause (Tr: Bruce Levine; J: Dylan Davis) was pulled up in the stretch,transported to barn via horse ambulance. Radiographs at barn revealed injuries necessitating euthanasia. Investigation to continue.
https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/searchb ... p?ID=17792

Belmont May 11, 2019, Race 11.
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... y=T&rbt=TB
peeptoad

Tue May 14, 2019 11:32 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:41 pm
Obituary: Retired trainer Don Warren
Don Warren, who trained the champion Acclamation and had a California stable for decades, died early Thursday of kidney failure, Santa Anita announced on Friday.

Warren was 67 and had been in declining health in recent years, which led to his retirement from training in the summer of 2015.

"He had been taking pain medication for a degenerative back disease, which caused his kidneys to shut down," Rhonda Schiewe, Warren's sister, told Santa Anita publicity.

Born in Covina, Calif., Warren began working in the stables in 1969 and began working for Old English Rancho as an exercise rider in 1970. Warren began training for Old English Rancho in 1974 and worked for the prominent California farm for the next 40 years, until his retirement.

Warren won his first stakes at Turf Paradise in 1977 and his first six-figure race in the 1984 Valkyr Handicap at Hollywood Park.

Acclamation was by far Warren's finest runner, a winner of 11 of 30 starts and $1,958,048. Acclamation, owned by Old English Rancho, won his last seven starts and won six Grade 1 races, including the 2011 Pacific Classic at Del Mar and consecutive runnings of the Eddie Read Stakes at Del Mar in 2011 and 2012 and three straight runnings of the Grade 1 Charles Whittingham Stakes at Hollywood Park from 2010 to 2012.

Survivors include his wife, Patty, daughters Amanda, Jennifer and Diana, and a brother - the retired jockey Ron Warren, Jr.

Funeral services are pending.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/48001-obitu ... don-warren
May he RIP.... I have many fond memories of seeing his horses on the SoCal circuit in the early 00s.
Sparrow Castle

Tue May 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Yeah, Don Warren with his horses was very much a presence in SoCal. ^^^

Barbara Livingston lost her dad and stepmother in an accident that Toyota could have easily prevented. They sound like amazing people. Rest in peace and condolences to Barbara and all who loved them.

Barbara Livingston @DRFLivingston
14h14 hours ago
Replying to @Toyota
Your keyless ignition design flaw killed my father and stepmother. Toyota is aware of this deadly flaw - has been for years - and could fix it on future models for just a few dollars per car. It's unimaginable that you've known it and chosen not to.

Sherry H. Penney and James D. Livingston were an academic power couple
Sherry H. Penney and James D. Livingston — both high-powered academics in Greater Boston — conceded that more than scholarly intrigue prompted them to cowrite a book about Martha Wright, an 1800s leader in abolitionist and women’s rights efforts.

“In the interest of full disclosure, we should note that we have a personal interest in Martha — she is Jim’s great-great-grandmother,” they wrote in “A Very Dangerous Woman,” their 2004 book. Nevertheless, they added, “any bias we have toward our subject is more likely to arise from the fact that, like Martha, we are feminists and political and religious liberals.”

Dr. Penney and Dr. Livingston, who died last week in their Sarasota, Fla., home of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, together left a professional legacy that stretched from Boston to Albany, from academia to private industry, from classrooms to boardrooms.
More: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/obitu ... story.html
Sparrow Castle

Tue May 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Actor, Racehorse Owner Tim Conway Dies
Tim Conway, the actor, comedian and racehorse owner, has died at the age of 85, according to CNN. Wikipedia listed the cause of death as normal-pressure hydrocephalus, a condition in which excess cerebrospinal fluid builds up in the brain. The family has asked that instead of gifts, donations be made to The Lou Ruvo Brain Center at the Cleveland Clinic in Las Vegas, Nevada, CNN reports.

Conway was one of the stars of the Carol Burnett show, and won four Emmy Awards for his work on the program, one for writing and three for acting.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ac ... nway-dies/
TapitsGal

Thu May 16, 2019 7:24 am

Bloodhorse reports that the Boniface family of Bonita Farm in Maryland is mourning the passing of Kim Boniface...she was only 51
Mylute

Mon May 20, 2019 2:53 pm

Mid-Atlantic Powerhouse Sire Jump Start Dies At Age 20
Jump Start, the leading sire in the Mid-Atlantic region for the past five years, was euthanized the morning of Sunday, May 19 at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center due to complications from colitis. The dark bay son of A.P. Indy was 20.

Standing at Northview PA in Peach Bottom, Penn., for $10,000, the most expensive stallion in the region, Jump Start has sired 69 stakes winners, 24 graded/group winners, since launching his stud career in 2003 at his birthplace, Overbrook Farm in Kentucky.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... at-age-20/
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
Izvestia

Mon May 20, 2019 6:14 pm

RIP to Jump Start
He was a beautiful, fast horse who consistently sired good racehorses.
Pebbles

Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm

I was at the BC in 2001 when Jump Start suffered his injury. I left after that. Never saw the Classic.
I was already emotionally strained after Exogenous suffered her injury. It was a rough day...the highs and lows of the sport.
I was so happy they were able to save Jump Start. Twenty is too young but I was afraid he would be taken from us at 2.
Mylute

Tue May 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Obviously I'm not a breeder (hope to be one day) but from a "breeding fan's" perspective he was one of my favorite sires. Threw consistently sound and solid runners and always had good numbers, graded winners left and right, etc. Such a good value.

Jump Start was the Northern Afleet of his region. Shame they're both gone now.

One day when I get my millions and start buying mares I'll definitely be looking for ones with Jump Start in their lineage somewhere.
genuinerizk

Wed May 22, 2019 7:53 am

3 horses died at local tracks near me yesterday. Soroa at Thistledown, and Lil’l allstar and Laser Lynn at Mountaineer. Rip to all.
Ziggypop

Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am

genuinerizk wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:53 am
3 horses died at local tracks near me yesterday. Soroa at Thistledown, and Lil’l allstar and Laser Lynn at Mountaineer. Rip to all.
Not even six mos into year and the bodies are piling up. RIP.
Izvestia

Fri May 24, 2019 9:06 am

Pebbles wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm
I was at the BC in 2001 when Jump Start suffered his injury. I left after that. Never saw the Classic.
I was already emotionally strained after Exogenous suffered her injury. It was a rough day...the highs and lows of the sport.
I was so happy they were able to save Jump Start. Twenty is too young but I was afraid he would be taken from us at 2.
That was a horrible day. Poor Exogenous ☹️
I always thought Jump Start was a lucky horse for surviving and I think it’s the other way around - we got lucky he survived because he contributed a lot of good horses.