In memoriam 2018

Catalina

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Too many, far too many. May they all RIP.
Mylute

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 am

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:09 pm
5yo g Bird of Trey (Birdstone - Take Me Home Too, by Came Home), winner of the 2015 Pennsylvania Nursery Stakes, was injured in Race 2 today (12/2) at Parx and was euthanized. He also ran in the 2016 Jerome and Southwest Stakes before ultimately descending into the claiming ranks.

31 - 3-3-6, $232,472. Rest easy, Rest well...

WarBiscuit
Wow. For a short time I had him on my mind for the Triple Crown races. RIP.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Sparrow Castle

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:56 am

Rest in peace, Bird of Trey and Tribal Ann.

"In sad news, Tribal Ann, a 4-year-old Cal-bred filly, broke down in the second race on the far turn. She was euthanized back at the barn," according to John Cherwa in his LA Times horse racing newsletter.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA2.pdf
Mylute

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:09 am

Smart Melody Dies of Colic

https://www.breednet.com.au/news/5876/s ... s-of-colic

~ Filly by Smart Missile won 5 of 6 starts.
Mylute

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:50 pm

According to this article, Soaring Empire was euthanized recently.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... versation/
WarBiscuit

Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Mylute wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:50 pm
According to this article, Soaring Empire was euthanized recently.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... versation/
Bloodhorse says it was due to an inoperable eye condition in mid-November.

www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/article ... ing-empire

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
RuffiantoRags

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:00 pm

I am so upset about the comments regarding the euthanasia of Soaring Empire on The Blood Horse article. I work on the farm and I saw this animal struggle with his blindness. It took 3 people 2 hrs to get him to walk from his paddock to into the barn because the horse refused to walk because he couldn't see anymore. He was struggling days before that but went out anyway. We called his Optomologist immediately who came out that same day and we treated him with 3 meds aggressively to reduce the inflammation. That did improve but when his doctor was now able to see the size of the cataract (90%)she said it is not operable and it's all up to the horse if he would trust his handler to lead him out of his stall. We tried for 2 weeks to get him out of his stall and he refused. How the hell can people made comments that it is all for money. The farm doesn't even own him, a syndicate did and they followed what the veterinarian thought was best for the horse. He would have been dangerous to breed with and his quality of life was not suitable for any horse. We are hurting for the loss, we miss him, and I hope that one of his future sons can run up the track like Soaring Empire did and continue his legacy. Please understand, it was a decision that was made with a group of owners and a veterinarian. RIP Soaring Empire.
ThreeMustangs

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:24 pm

RuffiantoRags wrote:
I am so upset about the comments regarding the euthanasia of Soaring Empire on The Blood Horse article. I work on the farm and I saw this animal struggle with his blindness. It took 3 people 2 hrs to get him to walk from his paddock to into the barn because the horse refused to walk because he couldn't see anymore. He was struggling days before that but went out anyway. We called his Optomologist immediately who came out that same day and we treated him with 3 meds aggressively to reduce the inflammation. That did improve but when his doctor was now able to see the size of the cataract (90%)she said it is not operable and it's all up to the horse if he would trust his handler to lead him out of his stall. We tried for 2 weeks to get him out of his stall and he refused. How the hell can people made comments that it is all for money. The farm doesn't even own him, a syndicate did and they followed what the veterinarian thought was best for the horse. He would have been dangerous to breed with and his quality of life was not suitable for any horse. We are hurting for the loss, we miss him, and I hope that one of his future sons can run up the track like Soaring Empire did and continue his legacy. Please understand, it was a decision that was made with a group of owners and a veterinarian. RIP Soaring Empire.
I am so sorry for your loss.
lurkey mclurker

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 am

It's easy for strangers behind a tech device to pass judgment when they have no involvement. I hope the misguided comments were made with concern for the horse's well-being as their basis, even if it didn't come across that way.

It is clear, RtR from what you've said that everything possible was done for Soaring Empire. If he was at a point where he no longer could enjoy his life, then a swift and painless release was the best that could be done for him. You can take comfort in that, to hopefully with time ease your grief over his loss.

*hugs*
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:41 am

RuffiantoRags wrote:
I am so upset about the comments regarding the euthanasia of Soaring Empire on The Blood Horse article.
I wish they would have explained just with one sentence that he wasn't adjusting well to his blindness and wouldn't move out of the stall in this article. Everyone would have understood. The way that article was written though sounds very cold and matter of fact. So I can understand why people reacted that way. I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry:
Mylute

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Every time a stallion is euthanized BloodHorse always makes it about how the industry is only about money.
Flanders

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm sorry for the loss of Soaring Empire. Sometimes I think I'm a bad person but most times I think its nearly everyone else. People are quick to judge, they don't take into account the other side of things. People have also became whiny babies about everything. I'm personally sick of the "Oh that offended me" crap.

That the horse was euthanized was the best decision for him. He was clearly suffering. But we live in an age where no one can let animals or people go. Keeping another living thing alive because you CAN doesn't mean its the right decision. I've known people who have had animals and they would not make the decision to put the animal down. They choose instead to let the animal continue on blind, death, barely able to walk, pissing and crapping everywhere, running into walls and furniture because it has no senses left to guide it. Unfortunately its the same with loved ones, putting them on machines and keeping them artificially alive because its easier than letting them go.

I will always have everyone's back who makes the right decision. As hard as it is, do not take the comments on Bloodhorse to heart, its best to ignore them. The vast majority of people who post on there are ignorant and/or stupid.
djnorth

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:50 pm

What Flanders said. It's easy for any of us to judge ho aren't there day in and day out with that being, human or otherwise.
Catalina

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Flanders wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:44 pm
I will always have everyone's back who makes the right decision. As hard as it is, do not take the comments on Bloodhorse to heart, its best to ignore them. The vast majority of people who post on there are ignorant and/or stupid.
Not to overlook the generally far too many whose main purpose in life seems to be to post deliberately malicious comments.
peeptoad

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 pm

RuffiantoRags wrote:
I am so upset about the comments regarding the euthanasia of Soaring Empire on The Blood Horse article.
I am sorry for your loss, the farm's loss, and for Soaring Empire himself. He was a horse I tracked form start to finish during his career as a fan , so I was disturbed to see some of the comments when I saw the piece a couple of days ago.

I wish they would do away with all comment sections on all news sites, whether or not racing -related. DRF did away with them awhile back and it made the articles more readable imho. Giving millions a voice and platform on which to air every last grievance is causing dire problems on the planet way above and beyond racing. It's a reflection of the damage that social media outlets have done to society (which is, sadly, very quickly becoming an accepted "norm" these days).
Flanders

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Calumet stallion Red Rocks has died sometime this year. No idea what happened or when but he has a Pending death report with the Jockey Club.
peeptoad

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:37 am

peeptoad wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 pm
I wish they would do away with all comment sections on all news sites, whether or not racing -related. DRF did away with them awhile back and it made the articles more readable imho. Giving millions a voice and platform on which to air every last grievance is causing dire problems on the planet way above and beyond racing. It's a reflection of the damage that social media outlets have done to society (which is, sadly, very quickly becoming an accepted "norm" these days).
I apologize for this outburst (partly because I just read the confirmation about Russia imbroglio- but I think most of us knew this already even prior to the confirmation) , though my stance still remains the same about comment sections on news articles.
Mylute

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Billesdon Brook's Sire Champs Elysees Succumbs to Heart Attack
Champs Elysees, sire of Gold Cup hero Trip To Paris and this season's 1,000 Guineas winner Billesdon Brook, died recently at Castlehyde Stud in County Cork.
The son of Danehill, who was 15, succumbed to a heart attack.
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... ack/358184
RugbyGirl

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Japanese import Tosen Basil has been euthanised after a paddock accident. He ran 2nd in the Underwood Stakes in the spring
https://www.racing.com/news/2018-12-20/ ... euthanised
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
lurkey mclurker

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:57 pm

So sorry about Tosen Basil, I always liked him & I know they were so excited to get him. : (((( Wish they could just be wrapped in invisible bubble wrap & kept safe all their days... : ((((

On another note, Peeptoad - I didn't interpret your post as an "outburst" in a negative way? Speaking only for myself, of course, but I thought you were passionate while respectful. I think we all wish that social media, used thoughtlessly or by trolls, would avoid throwing gasoline on a tire fire and just STFU sometimes... :roll: