In Memoriam

Post Reply
User avatar
amfuller
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: Georgia

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:20 am

Mentor Cane Fatally Injured in Morning Work

By Blood-Horse Staff


Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... z2elbC5f64
Attachments
WOW! Awesome picture of Mentor Cane taken by Barbara Livingston. RIP
WOW! Awesome picture of Mentor Cane taken by Barbara Livingston. RIP
MC.jpg (38.98 KiB) Viewed 6686 times
amfuller
Vengeance of Rain
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:55 pm
Location: SoCal

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Skiddles n’ Bob, 5, also at Belmont...

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park-me ... eaking-leg
bean
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Very sad :(
Catalina
Posts: 3672
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:51 pm

And condolences also to the connections of National Hero who had to be euthanized at Suffolk on Tuesday. And to all those present to witness it.
http://www.drf.com/news/suffolk-cancels ... -breakdown
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Catalina wrote:And condolences also to the connections of National Hero who had to be euthanized at Suffolk on Tuesday. And to all those present to witness it.
http://www.drf.com/news/suffolk-cancels ... -breakdown
An 11yo trouper. RIP National Hero...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
mimi6920
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:36 pm

11 years old? That makes me sick. How tragic. Thank you for remembering him.
The Tin Man
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Here's a REALLY great picture that a friend of mine got of Mentor Cane ... Just thought I'd post it as I really think it does this gorgeous animal true justice ...

Just wish the pic were completely visible without having to scroll it down ...
Attachments
MentorCaneTasich1.jpg
MentorCaneTasich1.jpg (38.55 KiB) Viewed 6335 times
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:33 pm

It's hard to tell if this was mentioned in the old forums, but I didn't remember hearing anything about this. Shaggy Mane died in 2011. I was checking on some of her foals and noticed she didn't have one listed for '12 or '13. There's a death report on her for 2011 :(
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Izvestia
Posts: 4073
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:45 am

National Hero's incident was an accident, not a breakdown. It didn't matter what his age was, he ran through the rail at the start and had to be euthanized from the injuries. I wouldn't call that a breakdown.

RIP National Hero
Catalina
Posts: 3672
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:14 am

Izvestia wrote:National Hero's incident was an accident, not a breakdown. It didn't matter what his age was, he ran through the rail at the start and had to be euthanized from the injuries. I wouldn't call that a breakdown.

RIP National Hero
Breakdown is how DRF referred to it.
User avatar
Le Beau Bai
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Here's a list of horses I just posted on the 'In Memory' Facebook. I'll post it on here just incase people aren't on FB or miss it (Written in British date format)...

21/7 - Trendy Kee - Unspecified Illness at Pleasanton
22/8 - Memo To Kathy - Foundered In Left Hindleg at Humboldt
23/8 - My Friend Bruno - Multiple Fractures To Left Fore Fetlock at Golden Gate
25/8 - Dangerous Affair - Rolled In Stall, Couldn't Rise at Golden Gate
25/8 - Revolution Coming - Collapsed, Pelvis Injury at Golden Gate
30/8 - Zapeye - Right Shoulder Fracture at Golden Gate
30/8 - A Dream Issue - Colic at Golden Gate
31/8 - Lightonthebrandy - Ran Through Rail, Left Radius Fracture at Golden Gate
1/9 - Caught A Flyer - Brokedown, Fell at Los Alamitos
5/9 - Sarasita - Left Foreleg Condylar Fracture at Golden Gate
8/9 - Alum Rock - Left Humerus Fracture at Golden Gate
User avatar
Le Beau Bai
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Prophete De Guye (FR) was put down on the 8th after another horse struck into the back of him, severing his tendons.

His trainer posted this video of him playing in his paddock, well worth a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARZpUMjcNVY
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10563
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:16 pm

DRF may have used the word "breakdown" in the first paragraph, but this is what followed:
The equipment was needed to recover the body of National Hero, an 11-year-old son of El Prado and New England’s champion turf male in 2010-11, who lost jockey Jordano Tunon leaving the gate and broke through the outside rail on the turf course nearing the stretch and fell into the ditch that separates the turf course from the main track.
That sure sounds like his injuries came from the crash.
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:37 pm

Le Beau Bai wrote:Prophete De Guye (FR) was put down on the 8th after another horse struck into the back of him, severing his tendons.

His trainer posted this video of him playing in his paddock, well worth a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARZpUMjcNVY
Thanks for the link to the video! He looked so happy to be outside.RIP.
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
jjacks1
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:46 am

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:25 pm

We lost a Medaglia D'Oro baby today - Attenborough fractured a leg breezing at Belmont Park. RIP beautiful boy. :(
User avatar
Dusty
Posts: 635
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Contact:

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:37 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:DRF may have used the word "breakdown" in the first paragraph, but this is what followed:
The equipment was needed to recover the body of National Hero, an 11-year-old son of El Prado and New England’s champion turf male in 2010-11, who lost jockey Jordano Tunon leaving the gate and broke through the outside rail on the turf course nearing the stretch and fell into the ditch that separates the turf course from the main track.
That sure sounds like his injuries came from the crash.
Absolutely so SAD - and perhaps avoidable,, RIP National Hero
May they run with the WIND
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:52 am

jjacks1 wrote:We lost a Medaglia D'Oro baby today - Attenborough fractured a leg breezing at Belmont Park. RIP beautiful boy. :(
Oh, dear. He didn't have a stellar racing record, but it is still dreadfully sad to learn that he is no longer with us. I saw him race at Saratoga this year. The injury must not have been discovered until after the work.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... registry=T
User avatar
Calypso
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:56 am

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Le Beau Bai wrote:Prophete De Guye (FR) was put down on the 8th after another horse struck into the back of him, severing his tendons.

His trainer posted this video of him playing in his paddock, well worth a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARZpUMjcNVY
That sounds gruesome. RIP, Prophete De Guye, National Hero, and all we've lost recently. :(
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
Catalina
Posts: 3672
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Ballerina wrote:
jjacks1 wrote:We lost a Medaglia D'Oro baby today - Attenborough fractured a leg breezing at Belmont Park. RIP beautiful boy. :(
Oh, dear. He didn't have a stellar racing record, but it is still dreadfully sad to learn that he is no longer with us. I saw him race at Saratoga this year. The injury must not have been discovered until after the work.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... registry=T
Attenborough was the second Englehart horse in three days that suffered a catastrophic breakdown at Belmont, both in the morning. Skiddles N Bob was also one of his.
Condolences to both Skiddles N Bob's and Attenborough's connections. It's bad enough to lose one horse, but two so close together. :cry:
Catalina
Posts: 3672
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:06 pm

And another morning casualty at Belmont today - Maui Mark who last raced August 30, in Saginaw's final race. RIP, Maui Mark.
Post Reply