Retirements 2015

Izvestia

Wed May 06, 2015 9:20 am

Starine wrote:Diversy Harbor making progress (+)
http://www.drf.com/news/premium/diversy ... g-progress
“They’re pleased with her progress,” Aimee Dollase said. “They say she’s a good patient and is willing. Sometimes, they take care of themselves. That’s half the battle there.”
Keep on hoping. She is a good-natured mare, so that goes a long way.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 06, 2015 3:06 pm

From DRF Live:
Forte Dei Marmi, Canada’s champion male turf runner in 2013, has been retired to Old Friends in Kentucky. The 9-year-old gelding won 10 of 39 starts, for earnings over just over $1 million, mostly for trainer Roger Attfield.
“I’m really delighted,” Attfield said. “He’ll have a nice home there. A lot of his friends can go and see him, too.”
Izvestia

Wed May 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Wonderful news about Forte dei Marmi. Saw him race at Woodbine once, he's a nice little horse.
I remember Attfield saying that he was a hard horse to train, some days he would not want to do anything, and that was that. Had serious heart when he was in the mood!
BlindLucky

Thu May 07, 2015 10:39 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:From DRF Live:
Forte Dei Marmi, Canada’s champion male turf runner in 2013, has been retired to Old Friends in Kentucky. The 9-year-old gelding won 10 of 39 starts, for earnings over just over $1 million, mostly for trainer Roger Attfield.
“I’m really delighted,” Attfield said. “He’ll have a nice home there. A lot of his friends can go and see him, too.”
I stopped at Old Friends last Wednesday (4/29), and apparently he had just arrived the night before. He was out in the round pen checking out his neighbors, looks like he'll fit right in :D

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Vengeance of Rain

Sun May 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Multiple G1 winning mare, Silent Achiever...
BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 10, 2015 3:37 pm

She ran in a stakes yesterday and, IIRC, she finished FAR off the board. May have signaled that she was ready for retirement.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue May 12, 2015 3:19 pm

The Wow Signal has been retired.
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/blood ... d-to-stud/
It's too bad we won't get to see what his sophomore season could have been like. He was damn good as a juvenile, but I'm ambivalent about breeding to a colt who couldn't stay sound enough to run even one race as a three-year-old.
Still, I suspect he'll be well-supported in Australia, which will likely love that speedy Starspangledbanner/Choisir bloodline.
ThreeMustangs

Tue May 12, 2015 7:24 pm

Izvestia wrote:
Starine wrote:Diversy Harbor making progress (+)
http://www.drf.com/news/premium/diversy ... g-progress
“They’re pleased with her progress,” Aimee Dollase said. “They say she’s a good patient and is willing. Sometimes, they take care of themselves. That’s half the battle there.”
Keep on hoping. She is a good-natured mare, so that goes a long way.
Posted just now on GHF's Facebook. Not good, damn it:

"Diversy Harbor has had a bit of a setback. Yesterday was 21 days post surgery, and it was the first time the vets were able to take her cast off to look at her leg since the surgery. They found that she had broken the skin at the top and bottom screws of the plate that fuses her ankle. Those spots are infected. The vets were surprised to see this, as Diversy had shown no sign of stess, no fever, and her cast was in great condition, with no seeping through. She had been off antibiotics for about a week, but is now back on them. The antibiotics are good for the infection obviously but being on them constantly isn’t great for her stomach, etc. They also x-rayed her good foot, and there has been some slight rotation. This also surprised them, as her movement has been described as outstanding. She is a model patient, lying down in her stall for long periods, and her appetite is great. She internalizes her problems, which means she’s very tough, which obviously is a good thing, but if the vets are unable to notice problems, it’s not a good thing, either. The vets have downgraded her prognosis to approximately 50/50, from a 75% positive chance before taking the cast off. After injury and before surgery, she had about a 10% chance, so these things are a roller coaster. Thanks for all inquires, prayers, and questions, we’re trying to save her so that she can be a member of the Glen Hill Farm broodmare band. We’ll provide another update in a week to 10 days."
Izvestia

Tue May 12, 2015 7:27 pm

I just read this about Diversy Harbor, and it is hard to be positive. I am hoping she pulls through. No more sadness.
Life At Zen

Wed May 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Now that they know she's not going to easily show signs of discomfort, I'm sure they will keep a closer eye on her. Crossing my fingers for some good news in a week.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 17, 2015 2:40 pm

10-year-old Be Bullish, who just won the 3rd at Belmont ($12,000 claiming) as easy as he pleased, was claimed out of the race by Mike Repole....and promptly retired.
I am so happy about this. The wonderful old grey warrior had just won four in a row, so he goes out as winner. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.
Although...he is such a racehorse, I wonder if he's going to need a job...like pony horse...so he isn't bored out of his gourd? :D
Old Bones

Sun May 17, 2015 4:11 pm

Be Bullish, going to Old Friends Cabin Creek in Saratoga.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 17, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks for the info. He is a handsome gelding, and might have made someone a fine saddlehorse, but...I wonder if his long years of racing have left him with soundness problems that prevent him from having a second career.
Catalina

Sun May 17, 2015 7:58 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Thanks for the info. He is a handsome gelding, and might have made someone a fine saddlehorse, but...I wonder if his long years of racing have left him with soundness problems that prevent him from having a second career.
A second career just buys them some extra time. When the second career fizzles out, they can overnight land in the wrong hands and on a truck bound for slaughter.
Flanders

Sun May 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Maggi Moss had nothing good to say about Jacobsen or Drawing Away Stable.

Glad the horse got retired before they broke him down on the track. Because they would have squeezed the lemon dry.
Life At Zen

Sun May 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Kudos to Repole. As soon as they asked for his help he was there.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
horsefan

Mon May 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Great news for Be Bullish. Not so great for another Jacobson trainee Mr. O'Leary. Sad.

http://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/searchbr ... hp?ID=8633
Izvestia

Mon May 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Catalina wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Thanks for the info. He is a handsome gelding, and might have made someone a fine saddlehorse, but...I wonder if his long years of racing have left him with soundness problems that prevent him from having a second career.
A second career just buys them some extra time. When the second career fizzles out, they can overnight land in the wrong hands and on a truck bound for slaughter.
A lot of OTTB's find forever homes, outside of Old Friends and other big retirement farms. Just because their second career ends, doesn't mean they are in jeopardy. I know a lot of them disappear "forever", but sometimes that just means they are a pasture ornament and well-loved somewhere the public never sees.
They aren't untouchable of neglect at retirement farms either, as seen by Bluesthestandard.
Catalina

Mon May 18, 2015 9:51 pm

Izvestia wrote:
Catalina wrote:
A lot of OTTB's find forever homes, outside of Old Friends and other big retirement farms. Just because their second career ends, doesn't mean they are in jeopardy. I know a lot of them disappear "forever", but sometimes that just means they are a pasture ornament and well-loved somewhere the public never sees.
They aren't untouchable of neglect at retirement farms either, as seen by Bluesthestandard.
And the public these days also more often hears about the tattooed ex-racers that show up at low-end auctions and on feedlots.