Earthquakes, Tsunamis & Volcanos

luvsgeldings

Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:02 pm

my husband and I were in line at a drive-thru place this morning when it hit - our car just kept shaking side to side - it was one of the longer ones we have felt.

a few weeks ago, I was up super early in the morning and we had a sharp jolt type of quake - this morning, it was the roller type - the rollers never feel as violent as the hard shaker types - lived here in Long Beach (CA) my whole life so been thru a number of them.

the most memorable one for me was in 1987 - was at my mother in laws house that morning (also here in Long Beach) when a pretty good sized one hit us - I can still see her in ground/built in swimming pool just bucking up and down - water going everywhere - that was freaky to see.... a large cement structure like that, just undulating up and down - could not take my eyes off of it - yikes.

as always when these things happen, just hoping humans and animals are ok in the area's most affected. such a worry, with gas lines that can rupture and structures that can collapse. hope all of our forum friends who live in SoCal are ok.
luvsgeldings

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:27 pm

my SoCal friends..... did you just feel that one? oh my, my husband and I watching TV and man, our house was moving - a lot - that was a big one and it went on for a while - scary - - this is in Long Beach - we felt it really strongly - hope you folks are ok - but... it felt like a big one - somewhere.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:41 pm

Oh yeah. It had the house rolling for about ten seconds...which feels a lot longer when you waiting for it to stop...or start breaking stuff.
7.1, downgraded to a 6.9. Pretty big one, and a good thing not centered inside a city. :shock:
sweettalk

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:50 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:27 pm
my SoCal friends..... did you just feel that one? oh my, my husband and I watching TV and man, our house was moving - a lot - that was a big one and it went on for a while - scary - - this is in Long Beach - we felt it really strongly - hope you folks are ok - but... it felt like a big one - somewhere.
i felt that one in YUMA, AZ. man, i'm scared for everyone out there. please stay safe.
lurkey mclurker

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:08 am

I hate the way the pulse/roll makes me feel, kinda disoriented & kinda nauseated and I'm half a state away, sheesh.

Definitely bigger & longer but epicenter was just about the same, 11 miles outside of Ridgecrest in San Bernadino County according to the USGS. Hopefully not a lot of damage... *fingers x*
ElPrado2

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:24 am

That one was 7.1. You will still get aftershocks, but that should be tops for now.