The VENT Thread

Miesque1973

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:41 pm

Apparently I am! I talked to all the players involved yesterday and this morning, and lo & behold, I checked the Cigna website and my STD has been extended to 2/14 (when I go in for a followup with the ortho surgeon). So I go back to work on 2/15. Whew. I was so frazzled about this mess that I couldn't sleep last night. My internal clock is so messed up right now--I'll have to get to work on getting back into a normal sleep pattern again.

There is some hair in the butter (i.e., a trying situation) -- my car's front brake pads need replacing. So I'm guessing that I'm in for shelling out mucho dinero to get that done. If it's not one thing, it's another! :)

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
stark

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:02 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
TapitsGal

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Walking cast and follow up with my foot surgeon in one month... very bad bone bruise and lots of swelling but NOT broken
Somnambulist

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Miesque1973 wrote:Apparently I am! I talked to all the players involved yesterday and this morning, and lo & behold, I checked the Cigna website and my STD has been extended to 2/14 (when I go in for a followup with the ortho surgeon). So I go back to work on 2/15. Whew. I was so frazzled about this mess that I couldn't sleep last night. My internal clock is so messed up right now--I'll have to get to work on getting back into a normal sleep pattern again.

There is some hair in the butter (i.e., a trying situation) -- my car's front brake pads need replacing. So I'm guessing that I'm in for shelling out mucho dinero to get that done. If it's not one thing, it's another! :)

~Miesque
Health insurance is honestly the worst. It's one thing to feel awful, and another to output energy you don't have dealing with the healthcare system. I don't know what's worse, pain or insurance. Both are awful in different ways.

I think some doctor somewhere could afford you some Xanax to help you conk out. I've learned not to suffer on that front.
Miesque1973

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:47 am

It wasn't necessarily the insurance causing all the trouble. It was the doctors. It was hideous, trying to get four different medical providers to get lined up and agreeing with each other and with me (you know... the patient): my doctor, the physical therapist, the orthopedic surgeon, and the pain management dude who couldn't do the injection (seriously--I think my leg caught on fire). "I get the feeling it's easier to get the moon, the sun and the stars to line up!" But at least now the stress is over and I only have to dread being sedated on 2/7 for the injections. Then on 2/14 I have the bloodletting. Must. Drink. Tons. Of. Water that day.

Anyway... today's my birthday (rah-rah-rah...). I got this for a gift:

If that doesn't make a body happy, nothing will.

I opened my gifts and blew out the candles (stuck in the holes of two Lone Star bakery donuts) last night, while I was stressed and needed the distraction.

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:17 am

TapitsGal wrote:Walking cast and follow up with my foot surgeon in one month... very bad bone bruise and lots of swelling but NOT broken
If anybody says "It's just a bruise" while you're wincing in pain, smack 'em. If you have a cane or a crutch, put it to use.

Broken bones and bad bruises make me think about some distant great-uncle of mine who broke his leg one day, soaked for a few hours in the horse trough, and went back to work on the farm (his surname was Tow ('as in cow')--Lowland Scots for 'tough', no less). My grandfather had a heart attack while working on a dam, and he was back to work three days later. Meanwhile, if I stub my toe, I'm wailing on the floor and trying to crawl to the phone so I can dial 911.

I clearly did not inherit their fortitude.

I already take OTC sleeping meds every night. For some reason, my entire body rebels against sleep, which probably means I have pretty bad anxiety. Plus I have tinnitus, which can be maddening. Maybe one day I'll ask my doctor about Xanax, but I hate taking all these pills already! :( I may even ask him if he can give me a list of what's not wrong with me. Just for giggles and all.

~Miesque
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:29 am

That's a lovely black Arabian...Breyer, yes? Is it based on a particular horse?
Belated Happy Birthday, and I hope all your medical crap goes by as smoothly as the gloss on your birthday horse.
Miesque1973

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:41 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's a lovely black Arabian...Breyer, yes? Is it based on a particular horse?
Belated Happy Birthday, and I hope all your medical crap goes by as smoothly as the gloss on your birthday horse.
The Breyer is an Egyptian Arab mare named Rhapsody in Black, and apparently she's rather famous. :)

Frankly, I've run out of room for more Breyers. But I got the American Pharoah Breyer at Christmas, and had to squeeze him into a spot on the closet shelf. So the black mare sits on top of my bookshelf, with the 'Golden Cloud and family' set. I keep contemplating selling some of my other Breyers on Ebay, since they're packed into a box anyway... which rhymes.

~Miesque
TapitsGal

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:31 pm

I CANT WIN admitted again into the hospital with pancreatitis and this time it's affected my kidney and liver levels as well
Tessablue

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Just had to evacuate a mall because of a shooting. Home safe and luckily it doesn't look like any innocents were hurt, but that feeling when we first saw people running past the restaurant in a panic... man...
Insane Crazy

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Tessablue wrote:Just had to evacuate a mall because of a shooting. Home safe and luckily it doesn't look like any innocents were hurt, but that feeling when we first saw people running past the restaurant in a panic... man...
I used to be terrified of ghosts/murderers in my house/etc. I am definitely now way, way, way more terrified of something like this happening. Seriously, so glad you're okay and everyone seemed to get out unscathed. Jesus, that's so scary.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Tessablue

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Just had to evacuate a mall because of a shooting. Home safe and luckily it doesn't look like any innocents were hurt, but that feeling when we first saw people running past the restaurant in a panic... man...
I used to be terrified of ghosts/murderers in my house/etc. I am definitely now way, way, way more terrified of something like this happening. Seriously, so glad you're okay and everyone seemed to get out unscathed. Jesus, that's so scary.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Think the shock is still wearing off. I will say that these things can happen anywhere and the best way to alleviate fear is to be prepared and know what to do should the situation arise.

So, a few things I learned/ applied today:

1. Don't wait for someone to tell you what is going on or what to do. Everybody is in the dark just like you. Also, don't count on the manager of the restaurant remembering his emergency training, 'cause our guy wandered around dazed and then muttered to a few people that they could finish their meals if they wanted.
2. Don't just blindly follow the crowd, but don't wait around either. Make the safest decision you can, and start moving.
3. Stand up. If your brain is sort of "stuck" between "omg run" and "maybe nothing is happening," stand up. It breaks the spell. Can't emphasize this enough.
4. Unless it's your only option, don't run to your car. Everyone else will do this, and then you're all just sitting there trapped while trying to get out. Find a nearby building, explain what is going on, and don't leave until you get an all-clear.
5. There were a lot of teenagers in the crowd and they were generally very scared and looking for adult advice. If it's safe to stop/slow down and do so, tell them what to do. No "it's gonna be alright" stuff, just "there's a shooting, don't worry about paying your bill, get out now."

Anyways, just gonna be grateful that I was able to learn these things. Hopefully I never have to use them again. I will say that I saw a lot of very inspiring acts by people helping each other, so at least that was a positive.

EDIT: On a lighter note, I was only there because my coworker and I took an early day and went to a spa in the area. We were all happy about feeling relaxed for the first time in forever... whoops.
Somnambulist

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:02 am

I wonder if I'm ever going to feel rested again. Honestly I feel like I'm so tired I hit a new bottom of near exhaustion daily. I'm not even 30... Ugh.
Catalina

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:45 am

Insane Crazy wrote:
And it's happening all over the place now. My first thought on reading Tessablue's message was a double-take and thinking, did she move to San Antonio? Because we had some instances like that here as well, just the other day.
War Admiral

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm so glad you are and everyone else escaped without injury. That sounds really scary.

A store near the school where I work was robbed at gunpoint the other night. No one was hurt in that incident either but it's scary when it happens close to home and work.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
Tessablue

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:29 pm

War Admiral wrote:

I'm so glad you are and everyone else escaped without injury. That sounds really scary.

A store near the school where I work was robbed at gunpoint the other night. No one was hurt in that incident either but it's scary when it happens close to home and work.
Thanks; I really appreciate it. It's a pretty upscale mall and nobody ever expects to hear gunshots in a Macy's of all places. It's a terrible thing when you don't feel safe near your home or work. Glad nobody was hurt during that robbery.
Catalina wrote: And it's happening all over the place now. My first thought on reading Tessablue's message was a double-take and thinking, did she move to San Antonio? Because we had some instances like that here as well, just the other day.
Yeah, it says a lot that we were relieved to learn afterwards that it was "just" gang-related. You see people running by in a panic shouting that there's been a shooting, and you immediately think of the worst-case scenario. And that scenario is really, really bad.
Catalina

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:02 am

Tessablue wrote:
War Admiral wrote:

Thanks; I really appreciate it. It's a pretty upscale mall and nobody ever expects to hear gunshots in a Macy's of all places. It's a terrible thing when you don't feel safe near your home or work. Glad nobody was hurt during that robbery.
Catalina wrote: And it's happening all over the place now. My first thought on reading Tessablue's message was a double-take and thinking, did she move to San Antonio? Because we had some instances like that here as well, just the other day.
Yeah, it says a lot that we were relieved to learn afterwards that it was "just" gang-related. You see people running by in a panic shouting that there's been a shooting, and you immediately think of the worst-case scenario. And that scenario is really, really bad.
Yes, indeed. One of the instances here was a botched robbery, where one innocent bystander did get killed. Glad you all got out unharmed, except for the memories.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:40 am

Got my first cold in over a decade, starting last Wednesday. Coughing has been so bad that I thought I was going to crack ribs. Really sore, no sleep...and the noise as I exhaled made it pretty clear that I have fluid in my lungs.
That's the Vent part.
A visit to my doctor today almost made this a Happiness post...I DON'T have pneumonia. I 'just' have bronchitis. Hopefully the antibiotics I started on today will begin clearing the wheeze/squeeee/crackle out of my breathing.
peeptoad

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:43 am

Tessablue wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Think the shock is still wearing off. I will say that these things can happen anywhere and the best way to alleviate fear is to be prepared and know what to do should the situation arise.

So, a few things I learned/ applied today:

1. Don't wait for someone to tell you what is going on or what to do. Everybody is in the dark just like you. Also, don't count on the manager of the restaurant remembering his emergency training, 'cause our guy wandered around dazed and then muttered to a few people that they could finish their meals if they wanted.
2. Don't just blindly follow the crowd, but don't wait around either. Make the safest decision you can, and start moving.
3. Stand up. If your brain is sort of "stuck" between "omg run" and "maybe nothing is happening," stand up. It breaks the spell. Can't emphasize this enough.
4. Unless it's your only option, don't run to your car. Everyone else will do this, and then you're all just sitting there trapped while trying to get out. Find a nearby building, explain what is going on, and don't leave until you get an all-clear.
5. There were a lot of teenagers in the crowd and they were generally very scared and looking for adult advice. If it's safe to stop/slow down and do so, tell them what to do. No "it's gonna be alright" stuff, just "there's a shooting, don't worry about paying your bill, get out now."

Anyways, just gonna be grateful that I was able to learn these things. Hopefully I never have to use them again. I will say that I saw a lot of very inspiring acts by people helping each other, so at least that was a positive.

EDIT: On a lighter note, I was only there because my coworker and I took an early day and went to a spa in the area. We were all happy about feeling relaxed for the first time in forever... whoops.
Wow, sorry you went through that. This is great feedback/ info though
Starine

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:54 am

Wow, TB, that must have been really scary. You've written up some great tips though.