The VENT Thread

Somnambulist

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Or they're just off from work. :?

Go somewhere else. Probably back to your other forum to complain about people.
Tessablue

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Or they're just off from work. :?

Go somewhere else. Probably back to your other forum to complain about people.
Get back to work Som- if so, maybe you'll make enough money to retire and spend all day complaining about people on the internet! And isn't that something to look forward to...

Anyways, I think that post was mostly directed at me because I'm being mean to the CHRB over on the racing forum. And man, if stark thinks posting during the day is bad on principle, wait until they hear about my free healthcare...
Somnambulist

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Stark has complained on more than one forum about what a bad employee I am.

I guess he just has a big crush on me. Who could blame him?
Tessablue

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Stark has complained on more than one forum about what a bad employee I am.

Oooh I see, I thought that other forum was defunct. Can't believe I'm missing out on the fun. I guess we shouldn't judge, though- maybe complaining about you is HIS job? ;)
Somnambulist

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Stark has complained on more than one forum about what a bad employee I am.

Oooh I see, I thought that other forum was defunct. Can't believe I'm missing out on the fun. I guess we shouldn't judge, though- maybe complaining about you is HIS job? ;)
I didn't know I paid much, but maybe that's why he's unhappy..
TapitsGal

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Every Friday morning I volunteer at a hospital with my dog. This morning we had to spend pretty much our entire visit comforting a family who had just made the agonizing decision to withdraw a loved one from life support and they had to decide on doing an autopsy or not. I don't care who you are, what you do, whether this is a first time therapy visit or the hundredth one... watching various family members stroke and talk to my dog and cry into her fur, it's not a situation I often deal with( only second or third time it'd happened) and I'll never get used to it... you could feel their sorrow permeate the ICU waiting room, and I couldn't think of anything else to do or say accept silently sit there and let them hug my dog and cry. All I could think to say was I'm sorry, I'm sorry for your loss. But somehow in that situation sorry just doesn't simply seem to be enough
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:22 pm

There really aren't any words that make a tragic situation like that any better, so don't feel badly that all you could say was 'sorry.'
You and your dog provided some small comfort, so you did all you could.
Miesque1973

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:23 am

We have relatively new neighbors, about two doors down from us, and she ties her dog up in the front yard and lets it bark, nonstop, for several hours every night. Tonight, after a lot of searching for the actual address of the house and getting a phone number, I called the owner and begged her to please make the dog be quiet. At first she said she would make him stop barking. Twenty minutes later, the dog is barking again. I called her again, and she gets het up about my even having found her number (I did a reverse-address search online), and said that the dog wasn't doing me any harm and she wasn't going to make him stop barking. She even denied it was her dog at all--that her dog doesn't bark. "So that pit bull barking in your front yard isn't your dog? Whose dog is it?" So she admits it's hers, and after I explained that while she has every right to have a dog, she has no right to impose that dog onto me, and that it's not unreasonable for me to be allowed to enjoy peace and quiet in my own home--my bedroom window faces her front yard-she says "I'm sorry, I'll make the dog be quiet."

After I talked to her the second time, the dog began barking again, but louder. So I'm wondering, is this spite? So I called the police, but during the call the dog finally shut its yap, so I decided to see if it continues to happen over the next few nights and finally resort to calling the cops. The last thing I need to is to be shot by somebody who values their dog over the lives (and sanity) of her neighbors, so I'm not keen on involving law enforcement unless it gets utterly out of hand. I even got rid of her telephone number, as I told her I wasn't going to call her again. Whether she's figured out she might be contacted by the police next if she continues to be so rude isn't certain. Maybe calling her wasn't the best action first-time around, but like I said, I'm leery over entering that yard to get to her door. and it was already 10pm.

In this town, street addresses are so weird that I had to use Google Earth to even figure out the address at all. The only reason I didn't go knock on her door to plead with her face to face is because the dog was out in the yard last night and I'm not keen on possibly being ripped apart by a dog that clearly already has mental health issues. And it's a pit bull.

Ugh. I just don't understand people like this. Good fences and quiet dogs make excellent neighbors, in my opinion. When we talked to our immediate next door neighbor about his dogs (also empty-headed pit bulls, no less), he was very obliging and we rarely hear his dogs, and you can be certain none of our neighbors ever hear a peep out of us. In fact, if I had a dog and my neighbors asked me to make him stop barking, I would be utterly appalled to find out he was annoying my neighbors, and I would get to work on correcting the dog's behavior. In fact, I wouldn't allow the dog to bark in the first place. Of course, most people don't realize that dogs usually bark out of boredom or loneliness, not because Charles Manson is in the yard with an axe. And if the dog already barks that much anyway, how would anyone know the difference between Charlie or the air molecule that floated past the dog's nose?

I used to like dogs. These days... not so much. :(

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm sorry you have such a clueless neighbor...and I'm really sorry for the dog. Being stuck outside (in winter?) and tied up is no way for a dog to live. I can understand putting a dog outside for some exercise and restroom time, but a dog needs attention...and love. Not being tied up all night. :(
The sort of neglect you describe is what turns a dog...pit bull or poodle...into the unbalanced animal that might bite.
Miesque1973

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:49 pm

What do you get when you cross a pit bull with a poodle?

I don't know, but he'd be a vicious gossip!

<bwah!>

Gonna go lie down, while it's quiet, and read a bit. Maybe take a nap. I'll probably be awakened, at around seven tonight, for the solo concert to begin.

Unfortunately, the weather here has been warm the past few days, though the temps at night get lower. People think that because a dog has fur, he's fine outside in cold weather. If he's a Husky, yeah. He'd probably love it. But in Texas? It was almost 80F on Christmas Day last year! The Husky should call a lawyer!

When we had a dog (a Cocker Spaniel/American Eskimo mix), he was okay outside in pretty cold weather (he had a dog house and his own blanket), but when the weather was hot we took him to the groomer and got him a short hair cut and he was comfortable until fall. He wasn't an indoor dog (he shed like nothing we'd ever seen--we could have made yarn from all that fur!), so he didn't come into the house except for severe blizzards. For all that, he didn't bark much, and when he did and saw us coming, he knew he was in heap big trouble, because we were NOT going to annoy our neighbors in any way, shape or form.

He lived to be seventeen years old, eating table scraps and cheap dog food and no one calling him one of their 'kids', and he was cheerful, easy-going and well-mannered right to very end, when we had to put him down due to arthritis in his hips.

I cried for a week.

Anyway, I found a rather amusing thing in a book last night, and it sums up these past few days rather well: Those who know, and know they know, are wise. Those who do not know, and know they do not know, are smart. They can be taught. Those who do not know, and do not know that they do not know, are dumb. You must leave them. Or at least prevent them from owning dogs.

~Miesque
TapitsGal

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Accidentally smashed my foot in a baby gate at 2 am. Now waiting to see the dr. Nurse thinks it's broken and I'll need to see ortho since I have screws in from prior surgery
TapitsGal

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Possibly broken but too much swelling to tell for sure. See my foot dr weds morning
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:00 pm

RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) the foot, if you can. And I hope that it's not broken. While humans aren't quite as dependent on being able to stay on our feet as horses, I'm sure your dog would prefer it if you can still walk him and take him on his therapy visits. ;)
Miesque1973

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:51 pm

I lost the remote key to my car last week (I'm pretty sure I lost it at Wal-Mart, but no one turned it in to lost & found, apparently). It would be over $220 to replace it. So I'm just going to get spare manual keys instead, what with only having the one manual key right now.

I'm going tomorrow to get shots in my lower back, in hopes of 'fixing' pain and to avoid surgery. If it works, I might be able to go back to work on 2/17 (I want to wait 'til then to be sure if it WILL work and also because I have my blood-letting appointment on 2/14, so why go back sooner only to have to request a day off almost as soon as I start work again?). If not, it's surgery and roughly a total of six more weeks of sitting around being bored silly and feeling useless. Some days, when I can't do anything at all, I feel my brain melting. ("Is it in my hair?!")

Get well soon to all who are also suffering illness, misfortune, and/or injuries!

Keep that foot up, indeed, and try to rest, TapitsGal!

~Miesque
Starine

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:40 am

Miesque1973 wrote:Get well soon to all who are also suffering illness, misfortune, and/or injuries!
Same to you!

My only vent this week is that all the politics on Facebook is making me restless, stressed out and unhappy. Turned off notifications on my cell phone app and am going on a one-week hiatus.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm going on a four-year hiatus from anything remotely political, myself. :P
Somnambulist

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:45 pm

I have everyone I'm friends with on FB on ignore. Saves lives.
Miesque1973

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:59 pm

The attempt at getting the shots in my back failed. As they were putting in the needle to start trying to numb me, it felt like fire going down my leg all the way to my big toe. I wailed in agony and they stopped all operations. So I'm going to a surgery center to be put under sedation for the procedure. Fortunately it's not called a 'medical arts' building. I'm leery of a place with a name like that. I don't need a doctor suddenly getting creative on me.

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:08 am

Doctors... it's like pulling teeth!

My latest period of short term disability was going to end on 1/13, with me going back on 1/16, but obviously that wasn't going to happen. I had seen the orthopedic surgeon's PA on 1/12 and he says I can decide on whether to get a shot or surgery. So I initially decide on surgery. On the day I saw that PA, he said he would send in my short term disability papers to Cigna, requesting that my short term disability be extended past 1/13. Well... he sends it in with a return to work date on 1/16. Meanwhile, I see the surgeon on 1/17, who says I should go for the shot instead of surgery. I was not informed that I was supposed to have gone back at all on the 16th--I was under the impression that they would do an extension request. No one said a word otherwise, and even more, the PA didn't even send it in until 1/20! So here it is, 1/25, and I just found out my claim will be closed Friday and my STD will end on 1/16 and I'll have to start using paid time off (using up vacation/sick hours, of course) for dates from 1/16 onward, if Cigna doesn't receive something from somebody saying why I should wait to go back later. Meanwhile, I have to wait until 2/7 to get the blasted shot at all (under sedation). So... what the heck am I supposed to do until then? Go back to work while still having trouble sitting? I called the pain management office and asked them to send info on to Cigna, too, as well as the orthopedic surgeon's office, to beg them to at least send in details on why I should at least be given until 2/8 to go back to work. Otherwise, it begs the question as what the point of getting the shot at all will be if I'm already back at work, in pain and wondering why I even bothered with all this hideous mess in the first place.

I just need to vent. This stuff is making me crazy. I keep telling myself it will work out somehow, but right now... I'm tired, I'm ticked, and I've got an upset stomach to show for it.

But I did find the remote key fob to my car. I thought I had lost it forever, last week somewhere (I had one of those screw-together key rings, which has been thrown away since then, obviously, and it came apart). Instead, it was under the floormat in the front seat of my car (in my current condition, driving isn't easy, so I rarely drive my car anywhere, but I had to some time last week and I must have dropped the key that day; otherwise, I lie down in the back seat of Mom's car!) I had already had two more manual keys made when I found it. While parked in the dealership parking lot. On the day I went to pick up the manual keys. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but maybe that's a sign that things might not go too badly in the end with regard to my STD (when my employer told me about applying for STD, I said, "Why would I want to apply for that?! My back hurts! I don't want more misery!"). I just have to try and be hopeful and patient and remember that life isn't meant to always be easy. Trouble comes. Trouble goes, and the Kentucky Derby is four months away.

~Miesque
Starine

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Surely you're due for some good luck, eh? Hang in there.