The VENT Thread

Somnambulist

Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:05 am

Tessablue wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Eh I would go. I was at a wedding for the 2010 BC. It wasn't so bad and that was before the smartphone age.
Yeah... I just enjoy talking with people on here as much as I enjoy watching the races. But I'll bring my phone along and see what I can manage. And keeping me away from the computer might be the only thing that can save my wallet...
The life of a racing fan is hard. The lack of people to talk about it with is sad.
Miesque1973

Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Somnambulist wrote:The life of a racing fan is hard. The lack of people to talk about it with is sad.
Ain't that the truth. Nobody in my family watches or knows diddly nor squat about the sport, and don't really care. Mom indulges me (Me: "Beholder beat Songbird in the Distaff!" Mom: "Are we going out for supper or staying in?"), though she does know who Alysheba is, or at least she'd BETTER! LOL! None of my friends watch it, though sometimes a friend of mine will remember to tune in to the Triple Crown races, if she's at home. I would bet that there's probably not a single racing fan within a fifty mile radius of me. (I live north of Austin)

::le sigh::

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:33 pm

I've managed to get my sister to watch (with varying degrees of enthusiasm) most of the Triple Crown and BC races with me, but this weekend she is helping a family member with a big project. And, since I am ducking out of helping in order to watch racing, I expect some serious stink-eye next time I see them. :oops:
Somnambulist

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:40 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I've managed to get my sister to watch (with varying degrees of enthusiasm) most of the Triple Crown and BC races with me, but this weekend she is helping a family member with a big project. And, since I am ducking out of helping in order to watch racing, I expect some serious stink-eye next time I see them. :oops:
My parents are both really good about going to any race I want as long as it's a track they like. They both just sit there and read. My sister hates going and only will if she can drink and the the whole family is going. Thankfully my boyfriend is really great about watching it and realizing the many future vacations will be centered around tracks. But he's really into his own sports, he gets it. I'm really lucky in the sense that the people in my life are willing to indulge me.

It sure would be nice to meet some random people on the street that I could BS with about it, though. Sometimes it would be nice to watch it with people who didn't ask so many questions.. lol.
Somnambulist

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:27 pm

I have not had a computer, up in July, for the past 4 years. I had an iPhone to offset since I still buy most of my music. My iPhone really shit the bed, and since I hated what they did with the music app I switch to a Droid. I love the phone but putting music on it is really a pain.

I have a very old iPod touch that is still fully functional. It has taken me the better part of 4 hours figuring out how to sync this and get new music on it. I need a drink.
Tessablue

Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Racing is a family tradition on my mother's side and she's the reason I got into the sport so young, which means it kind of extra sucks to miss these big days because we usually have a our own little party while I also talk analysis on here (she doesn't follow racing as closely as she used to). And we make tacos for some reason.

I ended up going, caught all the races on my phone but it really wasn't much fun and ended up as a real lose/lose situation. Oh well, one of the hazards of being a fan of a sport that nobody else cares about.

(also, omg, outdoor ceremony in New England in November... my legs are never going to unfreeze...)
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:11 pm

(also, omg, outdoor ceremony in New England in November... my legs are never going to unfreeze...)

What!? Did the bride have a sadist for a wedding planner? :shock: Or was it a lumberjack theme? :P
MySaladDays

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Somnambulist wrote: The life of a racing fan is hard. The lack of people to talk about it with is sad.
The only people who like racing in my life are those I meet up with at Oaklawn for many years, during live racing meet, and racing fans on the internet on forums like these.

Nobody in my close personal life cares at all about it. Some of my gal pals will drop me off at the race track and then they all go shopping and out to eat, and pick me up hours and hours later. :lol:

It's just one of those things though, that just GRABS ya or not.......but if it does, it won't let go.
:lol:
Tessablue

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Haha maybe that was it! It was a beautiful scenic spot with all of the fall foliage, but it was awfully cold and could have been a lot colder. They did have blankets to hand out, but they ended up running out of them before we got there. I was thinking of doing an outdoor ceremony next spring but now I'm paranoid that everyone will end up frozen...
Somnambulist

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:58 am

Tessablue wrote:Haha maybe that was it! It was a beautiful scenic spot with all of the fall foliage, but it was awfully cold and could have been a lot colder. They did have blankets to hand out, but they ended up running out of them before we got there. I was thinking of doing an outdoor ceremony next spring but now I'm paranoid that everyone will end up frozen...
If it makes you feel better, I went to one in mid-September where it rained.. and we moved inside last minute. It was so humid everyone's makeup started melting. You're subject to the elements no matter what.

Except mine because I refused airbrushing and had my ultra-talented should be a makeup artist sister do mine!

June 18th is still technically spring lol
PJMIII

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:19 am

Any news on Dustino? I always enjoyed his analysis of the big races.
Starine

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:06 am

PJMIII wrote:Any news on Dustino? I always enjoyed his analysis of the big races.
Yeah -- did his bookie get him?
Miesque1973

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:40 pm

I'm so tired of having sciatica. I hate it (well, honestly, who enjoys it?). It flares up, without warning, at any time. I can barely sit down, or stand, or walk. I've taken so much pain medicine it's a wonder I don't smell like a pharmacy, and my back is probably frostbitten from the icepacks. I want to whine and scream and throw things... but that's too exhausting.

<sigh>

So I have to work instead. If I can just make it through tomorrow, I'll have all of next week off to recover and/or whimper a great deal. I'll be particularly miserable if I can't even roast the friggin' turkey. What I'm really nervous about, though, is having to go for my bloodletting on Tuesday. If they park me in one of those uncomfortable Barcaloungers, while my sciatica is still killing me, I may have to hurt somebody with either my fists or some blistering rhetoric.

~Miesque
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:54 pm

So sorry to hear you're having to deal with that merciless scourge, sciatica. :(
Perhaps you could call the 'bloodletting' clinic now, and warn them that you're suffering with sciatica? Ask them to save a chair that is most comfortable for you? You could gently remind them that it might save their own nerves and eardrums if you're not crying/yelling/swearing through the whole procedure? :oops:
Good luck.
Miesque1973

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:58 pm

It's embarrassing for someone my age ('not a kid anymore') to have to use a cane to walk out to the mailbox. I can't do anything but lie down to be comfortable, and sometimes that even hurts. Painkillers are making me tired and loopy. The neighbor's wretched dogs are outside barking, which just makes everything so much more cheery.

I dread Tuesday's bloodletting. I'm not sure how I'll endure it. I can't even sit in a church pew or an ordinary chair, much less a Barcalounger. I'm going to call them Monday and tell them to figure something out for me. "I'll drink all the water you want me to drink... just please don't kill me!"

Oh, and something killed my female dove, Weezie, some time during the night. George looked traumatized. I certainly was. We've caught numerous cats, a possum (at least three times--what a dumb animal) and a racoon so far in our live trap. I guess we need to trap more.

I can't sit up any more. Must. Lie. Down.

<sigh>

~Miesque
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Sorry about your lady dove, Miesque.
IIRC, they have a nest on your porch? If the predators you're trying to discourage mostly walk onto your porch to get at the nest from below, perhaps a liberal sprinkling of cayenne pepper (or ground up ghost pepper :P ) in a wide circle under the nest would do it.
My own cats have a bit of Pica and, in order to preserve things like my calendars or newspapers, I've found that wiping a solution of cayenne and water onto the edges will keep them from eating...yes, EATING...the paper. :roll: The water dries and the pepper sticks to the paper. Wrinkled and unsightly, perhaps, but that's preferable to inside my cats' stomachs.
Miesque1973

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:16 pm

I'm replying from my Nook.

My doves are in a modified parrot cage under the car port. They do well there, even in winter, but when it gets REALLY cold, I will bring them inside to stay with the finches. I'll be getting George a new wife once I can walk again.

Oh, and the neighbors just down the street have a new dog, and the WHOLE neighborhood gets to listen to it whine and bark EVERY night. If this keeps up, they will get a visit from the police. Seriously, my neighbors have made me a non-fan of dogs. How someone can be so rude is beyond me.

Miesque
Tessablue

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:40 pm

I expected a rejection when I applied for my very audacious post-graduation dream job, but I applied Friday and got rejected today... ouch. :(
Somnambulist

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:09 pm

Tessablue wrote:I expected a rejection when I applied for my very audacious post-graduation dream job, but I applied Friday and got rejected today... ouch. :(
Not your dream job if they didn't want you. Their loss.

It really does all happen for a reason. I'm sure you're going to find something even better than what you thought.
Tessablue

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:I expected a rejection when I applied for my very audacious post-graduation dream job, but I applied Friday and got rejected today... ouch. :(
Not your dream job if they didn't want you. Their loss.

It really does all happen for a reason. I'm sure you're going to find something even better than what you thought.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I didn't expect to get it and I'm certainly used to being rejected (comes with the job...), but it really stings that they clearly didn't even look at the application, especially since I spent a lot an awful lot of time on it and I would've been very cheap and easy to interview (I live about 15 minutes away from the school). Oh well, I'll just treat it as a learning experience and move on to the next one. And at least they didn't leave me in suspense for long.