The VENT Thread

Miesque1973

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:40 am

peeptoad wrote:perimenopause blows. I hate getting old.
I swear I'm going through the same. Frankly, I relish the notion. My suspicious parts were never put any use to begin with, and I had nothing but trouble since I was eleven with the whole wretched thing (to the point of being anemic, actually--don't get me started!). I never got PMS ("I had a BMW once!"), and I don't get hot flashes, but then again I live in Texas--how could I tell a hot flash from a heat wave?

As for getting old... well, I can cope. I'm right in the middle of 'not a kid any more'. I won't be 'of a certain age' for another good ten years. :) And besides, age and guile beat youth, enthusiasm and a bad haircut any day. :D

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Catalina

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Miesque, I'm pretty sure there is some cream they use as local anesthetic when they have to draw blood from small children, so presumably it would also work for adults. And/or, you may be able to get by with another person (in my case it has sometimes been my doctor) who stands on the other side of me and involves me in a conversation, which distracts me from panic mode and thus relaxes my veins. In either case, tell your doctor what's been happening.
Miesque1973

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:19 pm

I had a nurse standing there holding my hand while they vampires were sticking me, and it's really a wonder I didn't drop her.

I'll ask about the cream, though. I have deep veins, they say. I also have a threshold of pain just slightly higher than the Cowardly Lion's. So all I can hope for is to pack in as much water as I can on 11/22/2016 and pray I can get through the ordeal in one piece.

~Miesque
Somnambulist

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Medicate beforehand with some pain pill and drink tons. Ask for lidocaine?

They can go through your foot, BTW. Sometimes it's bette when the pain is "further" away from your head if that makes sense.
Catalina

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:37 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Medicate beforehand with some pain pill and drink tons. Ask for lidocaine?

They can go through your foot, BTW. Sometimes it's bette when the pain is "further" away from your head if that makes sense.
I'm thinking that lidocaine is what's in that numbing cream.
Miesque1973

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Medicate beforehand with some pain pill and drink tons. Ask for lidocaine?

You know, I was going to ask them about that, but they had already given up when I finally thought of it. I already have to turn my head and close my eyes when they stick me. For it to be far away might be better.

I'm definitely going to drink a gallon of water. I may even take some pain killers... but some pain killers thin blood, don't they? My preferred pain killer is Aleve, so maybe not in that case.

I had a bruise from a previous phlebotomy that made people yelp when they saw it. In fact, when I woke up from my nap, after getting home looking otherwise unscathed, I yelped too. It was a huge, ugly bruise on my forearm that I can still picture pretty clearly. Having this condition (hemachromatosis) is definitely no fun. Lots of people have it, apparently, and my version is hereditary. I'm adopted, so I don't know which biological parent passed it on to me.

Whenever I leave that office, my hands and elbows are wrapped in bandages, so that I look like I wandered off a Crimean War battlefield. I wish I had been able to do the blood draw on Hallowe'en. That could have been my costume! :D

~Miesque
peeptoad

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:41 am

Miesque1973 wrote:
peeptoad wrote:perimenopause blows. I hate getting old.
I swear I'm going through the same. Frankly, I relish the notion. My suspicious parts were never put any use to begin with, and I had nothing but trouble since I was eleven with the whole wretched thing (to the point of being anemic, actually--don't get me started!). I never got PMS ("I had a BMW once!"), and I don't get hot flashes, but then again I live in Texas--how could I tell a hot flash from a heat wave?

As for getting old... well, I can cope. I'm right in the middle of 'not a kid any more'. I won't be 'of a certain age' for another good ten years. :) And besides, age and guile beat youth, enthusiasm and a bad haircut any day. :D

~Miesque
That's the spirit! I need more of that actually... for me the worst part is the depression that seems to be coming from the hormone fluctuations. One day I feel like I don't want to go on living and the next I'm me again. It's weird.
BlindLucky

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:42 pm

The weather is so nice, we were all trying to have an outdoor Halloween party in the corner lot of my neighborhood. But AT&T is digging/installing cable (at almost 7pm?) and their compressors are so loud no one can hear themselves talking. All the Trick or Treaters are going to skip our street because of all this mess too, I bet. I think they should have called it a day before it got dark--go home and turn off your noise makers, guys!
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Tessablue

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:21 pm

As I delve more into the races, I'm feeling increasingly bummed out that I'll be missing the entire card for a wedding on Saturday... especially because it's for my fiance's coworker, and I will know literally nobody else there. It's just unfortunate timing but... man, not looking forward to it.
Insane Crazy

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Tessablue wrote:As I delve more into the races, I'm feeling increasingly bummed out that I'll be missing the entire card for a wedding on Saturday... especially because it's for my fiance's coworker, and I will know literally nobody else there. It's just unfortunate timing but... man, not looking forward to it.
Do ya got an NBC Sports login to watch on your phone? Hit me up if no. Can't have you going race-less just for a lame old wedding. ;)
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Tessablue

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:43 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Tessablue wrote:As I delve more into the races, I'm feeling increasingly bummed out that I'll be missing the entire card for a wedding on Saturday... especially because it's for my fiance's coworker, and I will know literally nobody else there. It's just unfortunate timing but... man, not looking forward to it.
Do ya got an NBC Sports login to watch on your phone? Hit me up if no. Can't have you going race-less just for a lame old wedding. ;)
OMG you're the best. Let me mull it over- I don't have NBC Sports but I do have Twinspires, trying to figure out which one is the least likely to spoil me (slash which one is easier to watch in a bathroom stall lol). Thank you!!
Insane Crazy

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:46 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:
OMG you're the best. Let me mull it over- I don't have NBC Sports but I do have Twinspires, trying to figure out which one is the least likely to spoil me (slash which one is easier to watch in a bathroom stall lol). Thank you!!
I've had pretty solid success with NBC Sports and the app is easy to use. You can have my DirecTV login, lol. I'll be in Boston that day, anyway, so might as well spread the love!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Somnambulist

Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Weddings where you don't know anyone are the best. You can say whatever because you'll never see them again.
Tessablue

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:58 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Weddings where you don't know anyone are the best. You can say whatever because you'll never see them again.
Well, he makes way more money than me and I don't want to get him fired ;) But now he's saying I don't have to go and he'll just tell them I'm sick, so now I've got a moral quandary...
Somnambulist

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:34 pm

Eh I would go. I was at a wedding for the 2010 BC. It wasn't so bad and that was before the smartphone age.
Summer Bird

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:46 am

When most of the Breeders' Cup is on NBC Sports, and you don't have NBC Sports...
Miesque1973

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:09 pm

I'm still at work (I'm doing overtime, so I don't get off 'til 7p). I'm sitting here in my skivvies (I work from home), bored out of my mind (no calls coming in--what's the point of this again?) and while I COULD turn the TV on and see if I can watch some of the Breeders' Cup, I'm not sure if we even get NBC Sports. So I can watch the races on BloodHorse.com if I feel the need. Tomorrow I'll probably be out most of the day--we have stuff to do.

The biggest vent I have going: If I try to DVR the races (if I can find NBC/NBC Sports) DirecTV will make it their mission to make it impossible to watch them. They like to freeze the screen. A lot. I hate DirecTV. Have I mentioned that lately? No? Well, I do. Loathsome service, and we're stuck with them 'til January '18. <spews invective at DirecTV again>

I guess the fact that there's no Alysheba, Miesque or Lure running in any of the races makes me somewhat less than enthused about watching the BC this year. Or any year since Lure retired. "Big whoop" is my usual approach to it all. Yeah, American Pharoah winning was fun and exciting... but he was no Alysheba, at least not in my heart. But it is kind of fun to see the grandkids and great-grandkids of horses I watched race back in the late 1980's & 1990's running now. ("I remember his great-grandmother... good grief, that makes me feel old!")

~Miesque
BlindLucky

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Miesque1973 wrote:I guess the fact that there's no Alysheba, Miesque or Lure running in any of the races makes me somewhat less than enthused about watching the BC this year. Or any year since Lure retired. "Big whoop" is my usual approach to it all. Yeah, American Pharoah winning was fun and exciting... but he was no Alysheba, at least not in my heart. But it is kind of fun to see the grandkids and great-grandkids of horses I watched race back in the late 1980's & 1990's running now. ("I remember his great-grandmother... good grief, that makes me feel old!")
You missed a Distaff for the history books :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Miesque1973

Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:50 am

I watched it at BloodHorse.com, when we got back from supper and a trip to Half Price Books. Nice fillies. I was glad for Beholder going into retirement on a high note, and Songbird has nothing to be ashamed of in defeat. They both ran a humdinger of a race.

(To otherwise brighten a rather gloomy, rainy day, I finally bought The Untouchables and Castaway on DVD -- of course, if I want to watch somebody talk to a volleyball for two hours, I could go visit my aunt Evelyn (props to Gertrude Moon on Frasier for that one). But I like both movies and found them on the clearance shelf. For $2 each!)

:)

~Miesque
Tessablue

Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:53 am

Somnambulist wrote:Eh I would go. I was at a wedding for the 2010 BC. It wasn't so bad and that was before the smartphone age.
Yeah... I just enjoy talking with people on here as much as I enjoy watching the races. But I'll bring my phone along and see what I can manage. And keeping me away from the computer might be the only thing that can save my wallet...