The VENT Thread

ElPrado2

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:55 am

My handwriting is so lousy that I gave up on it long ago. I have good printing so I use that. And I am attempting to use a ball point now... or rather 2, since they are both crap to keep actually making more than clear lines on paper. Four letters and the ink gives out. They are brand spanking new, too. Useless.
Prairie Bayou

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:13 pm

I just can't seem to get anything right today. Apparently I can't speak English. Or type it. All I know is I want to go home.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
BlindLucky

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:44 am

My eyes itch soooooo much right now. I hate pollen. HATE. I know it's a necessary evil, essential for life, blah blah, but... wah!

I've been through the scratch test torture at the allergy clinic, I'm crazy allergic to everything from trees to cats. I had 3 years of allergy shots in college, until the cost was too much--wish I could have kept that up though. On the recommendation of my E.N.T., I take two types of 24-hr allergy stuff, one in the morning and one at night so they overlap--365 days per year. Prescription eye drops help very little.

Trying not to dig my eyeballs out. I'm spending next week in Louisville, and the spring grass there kills me. Last year, I looked like I was sobbing the entire trip. But no, my eyes just wouldn't stop watering while I was conscious.

Complain complain complain.

But I feel like I rubbed cats in my eyes.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Ballerina

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:48 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Mega Dittos! (sneeze, cough, itch, repeat)
ElPrado2

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:56 am

My daughter is so allergic to oak tree pollen that the air conditioner was on in Feb. She still wound up in the ER.
So, what happens? Now I am, too. It doesn't help that we have an 8 foot diameter oak tree right next to my closest window, with 6 more besides that in the yard. The yard had so much pollen this year that the driveway and grass was yellow.
BlindLucky

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:03 am

ElPrado2 wrote:My daughter is so allergic to oak tree pollen that the air conditioner was on in Feb. She still wound up in the ER.
So, what happens? Now I am, too. It doesn't help that we have an 8 foot diameter oak tree right next to my closest window, with 6 more besides that in the yard. The yard had so much pollen this year that the driveway and grass was yellow.
This is what my car looked like last week--that haze is all pollen. A lot of the visible yellow pollen is from pines, but it all mixes together to create a crap cocktail of allergy misery.

swale1984

Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:05 am

In an effort to get our son over his fear of dogs, we took him to a shelter last week. I knew that this particular shelter had a great reputation, and was worth the nearly 1 hour drive we spent getting there. I was not prepared, however, to be told "you can't interact with a dog unless you have an approved application for the dog". Um....how do I know if I want to adopt it if I haven't had a chance to meet it?!?
stark

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:11 am

Thanks for the link

BUT.....can you give us just a little clue who/what it's about, thanks in advance.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
serenassong

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:44 am

swale1984 wrote:In an effort to get our son over his fear of dogs, we took him to a shelter last week. I knew that this particular shelter had a great reputation, and was worth the nearly 1 hour drive we spent getting there. I was not prepared, however, to be told "you can't interact with a dog unless you have an approved application for the dog". Um....how do I know if I want to adopt it if I haven't had a chance to meet it?!?
Does seem kinda silly- but I'm thinking that perhaps someone got bit and they put this policy in place or some other reason. And some shelters wonder why they have such a hard time adopting out- some require you practically give them your first born to go thru the process. In the end, it's the animal that suffers.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Somnambulist

Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:52 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
Trying not to dig my eyeballs out. I'm spending next week in Louisville, and the spring grass there kills me. Last year, I looked like I was sobbing the entire trip. But no, my eyes just wouldn't stop watering while I was conscious.
It killed me two weeks ago. I came back and thought I was getting a cold and felt like crap for 3 days. Thankfully it didn't progress but it will once everything in NY starts coming to life. :(

Although I can't stop blowing my nose, which is weird considering my sinuses are so blocked up feeling. I want to go to sleep for days.
serenassong

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:
It killed me two weeks ago. I came back and thought I was getting a cold and felt like crap for 3 days. Thankfully it didn't progress but it will once everything in NY starts coming to life. :(

Although I can't stop blowing my nose, which is weird considering my sinuses are so blocked up feeling. I want to go to sleep for days.
Trying to hold off as long as I can without taking anything- the rain here as of late has helped, but last Saturday was hard- almost broke down
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Squally

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:18 pm

swale1984 wrote:In an effort to get our son over his fear of dogs, we took him to a shelter last week. I knew that this particular shelter had a great reputation, and was worth the nearly 1 hour drive we spent getting there. I was not prepared, however, to be told "you can't interact with a dog unless you have an approved application for the dog". Um....how do I know if I want to adopt it if I haven't had a chance to meet it?!?
Can I ask a question? Honestly, I don't mean this snarky. Were you interested in adopting a dog or were you just going there to pet the dogs? If the later, maybe it's that they need to have staff with people who are actually interested in the dogs and they didn't have staff available to spend time with someone who was just there to pet the dogs. I work at a horse barn and we've been getting calls the last year from parents and grandparents who want to bring their kids out to the barn "just to pet the horses, we don't want to pay to ride them". That still would require a staff member to keep things safe, so we always tell them no.
If you were interested in adopting, their attitude was very strange.
BlindLucky

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:53 pm

Squally wrote:
Can I ask a question? Honestly, I don't mean this snarky. Were you interested in adopting a dog or were you just going there to pet the dogs? If the later, maybe it's that they need to have staff with people who are actually interested in the dogs and they didn't have staff available to spend time with someone who was just there to pet the dogs. I work at a horse barn and we've been getting calls the last year from parents and grandparents who want to bring their kids out to the barn "just to pet the horses, we don't want to pay to ride them". That still would require a staff member to keep things safe, so we always tell them no.
If you were interested in adopting, their attitude was very strange.
Yeah, a lot of times you just need a general adoption application on file to make sure you would be an approved adopter (for any animal they have), then you can check out the dogs. That's how it is at some of the places here, anyway. I actually had to fill out a reference form for a friend of mine who was just trying to adopt a cat :lol:
swale1984

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:39 am

We told them that we were starting the process, but there are about 5 dogs at that shelter that I am interested in. As our son has been traumatized a bit my the neighbor's GSD, we are allowing him to dictate the if, when, and what of an adoption. So, it was actually a combination trip. I've just never gone to a shelter before that allowed you no contact with the dogs without an application.
Somnambulist

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:54 am

Inspired by some reddit thread, my sister decided randomly to download all of the Sims 3 again.

This game is awful to me. I was up until midnight playing it.
Starine

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:24 pm

Guys who just won't take the hint.
Somnambulist

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Why is anyone asking me about how much money I want to give towards a bridal shower that isn't happening for over a year.
ElPrado2

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:22 pm

To see how much money they can con you out of.
Somnambulist

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Quite likely but it's ridiculous anyway. It's a year away. The maid of honor needs to chill out. My friend's engagement party is in 3 weeks and I just bought the dress I'm wearing. At 25 who is made of money. It's an out of town wedding.

The only saving grace is I have one source of sanity in the area so I'm likely never paying for a hotel and can drink myself to death and have a DD.
pointgivenfan

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Starine wrote:Guys who just won't take the hint.
Speaking as a guy...just tell him. ;)
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/