The VENT Thread

stark

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Caitlyn Jenner
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
TapitsGal

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:53 am

My moms cancer is very aggressive...she has to go through two rounds of chemo, the first of which will last four months, surgery and radiation...oh and to top it off, for 28 years she's run a daycare out of our home...she now has to permenantly close it by next Friday....and has basically lost her job
islandgirl45

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:43 am

TapitsGal wrote:My moms cancer is very aggressive...she has to go through two rounds of chemo, the first of which will last four months, surgery and radiation...oh and to top it off, for 28 years she's run a daycare out of our home...she now has to permenantly close it by next Friday....and has basically lost her job
Sorry to see such awful news about your family, TapitsGal. Hope that the treatments succeed in turning back your Mom's cancer and she is able to make a full recovery.
I've recently seen some news about immunotherapy showing promise for a variety of cancers. Perhaps that could be a topic for your mother to discuss with her doctors, if she hasn't already.
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
Starine

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:00 pm

I have a roller derby invitational this weekend, which normally would have me bouncing around with excitement...

...except that our Saturday game is at 6:30. How am I going to catch the Belmont and AP possibly making history? I might have to smuggle my phone out to the bench and watch it on the NBC Sports app.
Insane Crazy

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:57 pm

Laptop was having screen issues -- vertical transparent lines on one side, occasional weird ass flickering/going all green and looking like a shadow of the screen before/grey static upon opening -- so I took it to the repair shop. Ah, it's a hinge! They fixed it, great.

No, no. Got it back and within half an hour it was doing the same thing. Okay, the issue is hard to replicate at will, so I take it back. They rip it apart, re-plug a cable, and put it back together. Great!

S i g h. The flickering lines are gone and it's not *quite* as frequent that it does it's other weird nonsense, but it's still obnoxious and upsetting. I'm $100 into these repairs and my computer still doesn't WORK. It's only a year old and this is ridiculous. I really believe it's just a hard to find issue, but I'm all anxious about calling them again and whether they'll make me shove more money at it. I'd pay for a screen repair, but ideally not in addition to the obviously unsuccessful repair attempts that showed nothing for my money. Blugh.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Miesque1973

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:25 pm

My laptop--a refurbished Lenovo T400 I bought at Discount Electronics--froze Wednesday night, so I turned it off and turned it back on... and now it has no operating system. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it worked or get a new one.

Operating systems are apparently hard to kill off. So I have no idea what might have happened. I am somewhat displeased. But fortunately, I learned from past painful experience to keep no documents whatsoever on a hard drive, so all my stuff is on a flash drive and I lost nothing, including a long (500+ pages) novel I'm writing, and I still have all my horsey research stuff.

Mom had her wound aspirated today (which involved a long needle, an ultrasound and probably a great deal of vodka if the painkillers didn't work), to see if there's any more infection in there, and in another month they'll tell her the results, and if there's no infection, they'll start planning to have her hip re-replaced. She's doing outpatient physical therapy now, about two or three times a week, to help build up some strength in her leg. She says she can't really put weight on that leg, but the therapy seems to be helping.

We also bought a new microwave last night. I had no idea I had quite that much physical strength, but schlepping that thing into the house was something I hope I don't have to do again for quite a while. Fortunately only my shoulders hurt, and my sciatica did not flare up. :) Meanwhile, last week's vampire attack only left me a little weary and I'm sporting a big, ugly blue-ish red purply bruise on my left arm. It's kind of alarming to look at, but it doesn't hurt.

When I get off work, we're heading off to the cemetery to put out new flowers on Dad's and my grandparents' graves and clean up a bit. Our town has a Homecoming type thing at the cemetery park, with BBQ and the like, on about the 1st Sunday of every June. Last year, however, the catering company didn't show up and so everybody had to get refunds. I can only guess they didn't hire that company this year. After you eat your BBQ, you wander over to the cemetery and look up relatives. I've got lots there, on both sides of the family. We're all even in the 'old' part of the cemetery--my parents' parents are all buried there in one group, along with one of my aunts and across the road are some of Mom's kin, most of whom are probably still not speaking to each other. There's one plot left in our area, and considering I'm an old maid, I suppose I'll be buried next to my parents some day, though frankly I lean toward cremation.

(OK, enough with the morbid. It's already weird enough to have a BBQ at a cemetery, innit?)

It'll be hot. I won't be hanging around. I'll buy two plates of BBQ, visit with Mom's best friend (a member of the cemetery board and seller of tickets for the plates) and hie back home to eat in air-conditioned peace. Like I want to deal with mosquitoes and fire ants.

What's kind of amusing is living in this little town where I'm cousin to the sheriff and one of the managers at Mom's bank. They're kin from my father's side. I've never met the sheriff, alas. Not even a traffic ticket to warrant a discussion. Please don't hit me for that stupid pun. :)

I never know what to say to people who find out their parents are sick, TapitsGal. There's not a lot that can be said, is there, except that you're in my prayers.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Car broke down today. I was on the way to the computer store and the engine light came on, the car stalled and the power steering quit. I barely managed to turn it off the road and it actually stopped entirely in the middle of the road where I turned in. Someone stopped and helped get me off the road, and I fortunately had the number to roadside assistance, so the car was towed. Repair shop is closed on weekends, so we won't know what the problem is until Monday (we're hoping it's just one of those belts that need replacing). Anyway, we're carless for now and will depend on the kindness of others to get to where we need to go during this week. I was going to try and rent a car but will wait until we know what's going on, in hopes that I won't have to shell out cash every day. A friend of mine came and picked me up and she took me out to the computer store and I got a new laptop.

Anyway, I got home in time for the Belmont. I was crying. Really, and it wasn't because our car is dead. I thought I'd never see a Triple Crown winner in my lifetime (I was unaware of such things in 1978). The Belmont made a crappy day a lot better. :) Even more, English Oaks winner Qualify is half-sister to Czech Oaks winner Saltanat, so their dam, Perihelion, is now in my list of Dams of Two or More Classic Winners. :)

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
TapitsGal

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:14 am

Found two sores in close proximity to each other on my puppy's back. They are red and scabby looking and the area around them is all hot and inflamed. One sore is towards her hind end near her top line and the other is kind of on her hip. She yelped yesterday when a friend patted her there but I shrugged it off thinking she was stung by a hornet. I kind of now question ticks but haven't found any on her.
Bookman

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:19 am

TapitsGal wrote:Found two sores in close proximity to each other on my puppy's back. They are red and scabby looking and the area around them is all hot and inflamed. One sore is towards her hind end near her top line and the other is kind of on her hip. She yelped yesterday when a friend patted her there but I shrugged it off thinking she was stung by a hornet. I kind of now question ticks but haven't found any on her.
Perhaps a "first thing Monday morning" phone call would be in order.

Or be there when they open.
“I wish you could run the races with no jocks and just put chickens on ’em.” - Billy Gowan
TapitsGal

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:21 am

I'm calling the vet tomorrow if she's still tender and inflamed
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:08 pm

If your puppy was in a class with seven other dogs, you can not ignore the possibility that she was infected by something that one of the other dogs was carrying.
Vet. Soonest.
ETA: And wash her bedding, and disinfect your hands/clothing, etc., especially before you touch any other animal.
islandgirl45

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:03 pm

TapitsGal wrote:I'm calling the vet tomorrow if she's still tender and inflamed
Surely, there are emergency vets in your area? If it was my dog, I wouldn't wait on this. It could be a fast-moving infection of some sort.
TapitsGal

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:51 pm

There are two emergency vets in the area but as she still is eating/drinking, playful, has her normal energy level, hasn't thrown up/been sick,no fever etc my mom won't let me take her until my vet opens tomorrow...were the decision solely mine, I'd have taken her hours ago...but since my mom and I are co-owners and our agreement is that she pays the vet bills while I pay for feed, training fees,registration etc...she has the final say
serenassong

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Sorry, TG- but I have to say this-

If you own a animal, even if you are a co-owner or whatever- it is YOUR responsibility to take care of the animal and get it the help it needs. If the animal is sick and suffering, it is abuse, pure and simple. Sorry to be so harsh- but this is what dog ownership is. If you cant take care of the animal, please find a rescue that will, or a no-kill shelter. I understand that you may be in a bit of a pickle in regards to your family, but please speak for your animal, you are the pup's voice.

Sounds like pup is better, but still, things can go bad real quick, and they want to please to the point of hiding their true condition.

Hope all goes well.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Ballerina

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:48 pm

Why do we go through this every couple of months responding to these emergency predicaments? Some people just shouldn't own animals because of stupidity, ignorance and failure to learn, and/or inadequate finances to take proper care.

Enough of these enabling responses to these ridiculous predicaments. If it isn't personal health, it's animal health problems. A cry for attention which can be labeled Internet Munchausen Syndrome.
TapitsGal

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:16 pm

I did end up taking her in an hr ago. More for my piece of mind then anything. Vet does think she was bit by a tick or that it could be a hornet sting. But because it's all scabbed over and not open, she just said to watch it the next couple days and it'll heal fine. She said if my puppy trys to itch to much, purchase an e collar. I asked about giving her Benadryl or another over the counter anti inflammatory but she sAid not...I guess they can cause liver/kidney damage in dogs and do more harm than good....she said they don't even give prescription ones at her clinic
Insane Crazy

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Considering the sore spots were scabbed over and the pup was otherwise behaving normally, I don't see any major problem with having waited until today or Monday. Getting it checked out ASAP is ideal, but waiting part of a weekend with close care and keeping her spots cleanseems pretty standard. Sounds like you got it under control, though. I agree that it is always best to wait to have animals until you're the one making the executive decisions, though. Best for you and your dog.

I think "abuse" may be a bit strong for this particular situation, though I understand this is not an isolated incident, I think you handled it fine TG.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
BlindLucky

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Benadryl is fine for dogs, as long as you're not buying an enhanced version with acetaminophen or anything like that in it. It is not an anti-inflammatory, it's an antihistamine. I don't know any vets who would tell you that is unsafe, or would tell you not to use it if they suspect an insect sting. I have a dog with allergies who takes it every day.

Human anti-inflammatories are a definite no-no, though, unless it's formulated for canines.

It's good you got it checked out. I noticed a bump on my dog's leg and took him to the vet the next day. They took cells from it, it turned out to be cancerous, and I immediately scheduled surgery for him--he had the thing removed just a few weeks ago and is still recovering.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
islandgirl45

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:36 pm

TapitsGal wrote:There are two emergency vets in the area but as she still is eating/drinking, playful, has her normal energy level, hasn't thrown up/been sick,no fever etc my mom won't let me take her until my vet opens tomorrow...were the decision solely mine, I'd have taken her hours ago...but since my mom and I are co-owners and our agreement is that she pays the vet bills while I pay for feed, training fees,registration etc...she has the final say
I'm sorry, TG, but your ^above explanation in which you attempt to blame your mother(!) is frankly ridiculous. Seriously, c'mon. You're an adult.
And, I'm sure this sounds mean, but if you have to ask someone else for permission to take your dog/cat/whatever to the vet when she/he has visible sores and "yelps" when the area around those sores is petted ... you probably shouldn't have insisted on getting a dog.
Insane Crazy

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:39 pm

BlindLucky wrote:Benadryl is fine for dogs, as long as you're not buying an enhanced version with acetaminophen or anything like that in it. It is not an anti-inflammatory, it's an antihistamine. I don't know any vets who would tell you that is unsafe, or would tell you not to use it if they suspect an insect sting. I have a dog with allergies who takes it every day.

Human anti-inflammatories are a definite no-no, though, unless it's formulated for canines.

It's good you got it checked out. I noticed a bump on my dog's leg and took him to the vet the next day. They took cells from it, it turned out to be cancerous, and I immediately scheduled surgery for him--he had the thing removed just a few weeks ago and is still recovering.
Re-reading the vet's info I'm a bit curious, too. There are also some excellent NSAIDs for dogs that would help relieve the pain. Not sure why the vet told you that, but it may be worth calling your regular vet for a second opinion.

Scary about your pup, BL! Glad he's on the mend but sending good vibes your way.